House Repubs fail to pass DHS spending bill. DHS runs out of $

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 25, 2011
What are you talking about? The House passed legislation to fully fund the DHS legal operations and the Senate Democrats refused to vote on it, leading to this impasse, and a potential shutdown necessitating this stop gap measure.

The Democrats are just pissy because the GOP doesn't want to fund Obama's illegal illegal alien amnesty program which was thrown out by a judge. Not sure why the Democrats still want to find it unless they are just being patrician shills.

You have it wrong.

Thrown out by a judge? And you say others have it wrong?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
What are you talking about? The House passed legislation to fully fund the DHS legal operations and the Senate Democrats refused to vote on it, leading to this impasse, and a potential shutdown necessitating this stop gap measure.

The Democrats are just pissy because the GOP doesn't want to fund Obama's illegal illegal alien amnesty program which was thrown out by a judge. Not sure why the Democrats still want to find it unless they are just being patrician shills.

You have it wrong.

Your pissiness is noted- Righties always get pissy when weaseldom fails to deliver as hoped.

I'm confident that Dems will pass a clean funding bill. I'm also confident that they'll pass a clean immigration bill, send it on to Obama to be vetoed or not. They're just not prepared to accept the extortion of Repubs current hostage taking maneuver.

Why should they? Repubs can't shoot the hostage w/o shooting themselves.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Your pissiness is noted- Righties always get pissy when weaseldom fails to deliver as hoped.

I'm confident that Dems will pass a clean funding bill. I'm also confident that they'll pass a clean immigration bill, send it on to Obama to be vetoed or not. They're just not prepared to accept the extortion of Repubs current hostage taking maneuver.

your definition of clean is a bit fucked up.

Clean by your and the dems standards is whatever the dems want.

I also like how republicans are hostage takers when they were the minority and now when they are the majority. talk about heads I win, tails you lose type of life.

Jan 25, 2011

I also like how republicans are hostage takers when they were the minority and now when they are the majority. talk about heads I win, tails you lose type of life.

No clean means a bill to fund the DHS only contains items related to funding the DHS. It's really that straight forward.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007

When the Democrats controlled the House and the Senate and the GOP in the Senate wanted 'clean' bills it was the GOP holding the country hostage.

When the GOP controlled the House and the Democrats controlled the Senate and the GOP passed clean bills out of the House but the Democrats wouldn't even vote on them the GOP was holding the country hostage.

When the GOP controls both the House and the Senate and pass clean bills and the Democrats in the Senate won't vote for the clean legislation, it is the GOP holding the country hostage.

Got it. LOL.

The GOP passed a clean bill. It funded lawful activity by the DHS. I guess you think that the GOP should continue funding for the Japanese internment camps in WWII established by the progressives. I mean they must be stopping progress because they aren't funding illegal government activity. LOL.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Saw an article on the Democrats all out on the steps of capitol hill trying to convince people how great they are.

Both parties are the enemy of the people. That's the bottom line. Unfortunately we don't have any feasible alternative.

So, we get to continue watching the clown show in perpetuity. Fun.

Last edited:

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
A Federal Judge to be exact ;)

It wasn't thrown out nor overturned, you twit. Judge Hanen issued a temporary injunction...that's all.

And the judge temporarily suspended the implementation because of a procedural issue. He's based his decision on the fact he's calling the exec. order a rule or regulatio, which under the 1947 Administrative Procedure Act, which calls for rules or regulations to be appear in the Federal Register so people have a chance to comment...commonly known as the "notice and comment" requirement.

The requirement doesn't apply to "interpretative rules" or "legislative rules," which is what the admin. is going to argue in the appeal Obama's EO is...legislative rules.

So, yes, there was a judge involved. No, he didn't throw it out or overturn it. Sorry.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Heads you're willfully ignorant , tails you're willfully ignorant. This example has been explained to you several times yet you still claim ignorance.

Its not our fault you choose to sound like an idiot.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Its not our fault you choose to sound like an idiot.

Its really sad that the progressive usually has to resort to name calling 'anti-science', 'anti-minority', 'anti-progress', 'anti-woman', 'anti-poor' to have a conversation on an issue.

Typical gas lighting behavior to change the frame to someone else being 'stupid'.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Its really sad that the progressive usually has to resort to name calling 'anti-science', 'anti-minority', 'anti-progress', 'anti-woman', 'anti-poor' to have a conversation on an issue.

Typical gas lighting behavior to change the frame to someone else being 'stupid'.

Whatever, the person I responded to has a long and sad history here. He has made his bed. There are many conservatives on this forum who don't have to have the same thing explained to them over and over. He isn't one of them.

So yes the same old tired bullshit gets to be just that. The same old tired BS.

BTW I didn't call him any of those things. I said he was willfully ignorant and chose to sound like an idiot. You seem to have a reading problem. :)

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

You forgot one, anti stupid, that's where you and Michael come in. You've both been repeatedly shown the flaws in your logic and your factual errors, not once have you acknowledged it.

You are mad because people think you are stupid when you should be mad for being stupid. Normal people feel shame and remorse when saying or doing stupid shit, you seem to lack those qualities.

Nov 25, 2013
Silly Canadian, Educate Your own self:

http://www.dhs.gov/creation-department-homeland-security

Department Creation

Eleven days after the September 11, 2001
, terrorist attacks, Pennsylvania Governor Tom Ridge was appointed as the first Director of the Office of Homeland Security in the White House. The office oversaw and coordinated a comprehensive national strategy to safeguard the country against terrorism and respond to any future attacks.

With the passage of the Homeland Security Act by Congress in November 2002, the Department of Homeland Security formally came into being as a stand-alone, Cabinet-level department to further coordinate and unify national homeland security efforts, opening its doors on March 1, 2003.

I am a lot older than 2001 / 2002. You know the Coast Guard and INS and lots of other things happened before the DHS was ever a thought.

You completely missed the point. None of those thing exist outside of the DHS any more.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
You completely missed the point. None of those thing exist outside of the DHS any more.

wow.. shocked that after all these years that people still don't know that a lot of agencies got lumped/moved into DHS umbrella.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Who cares about securing our boarders, hell we should fly ISIS here personally.

Kr@cker

Feb 26, 2015
Yes fuck the coast guard, fuck the border patrol, fuck the customs agents, fuck immigration agents. Yes fuck them.
:rolleyes:

You do realize that those organizations survived long before DHS and did just a fantastic job right?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
You do realize that those organizations survived long before DHS and did just a fantastic job right?

I don't see anyone arguing that. But I'm guessing that most people who are saying "good screw the DHS" are thinking about the TSA and not the other alphabet soup of agencies that roll up under the DHS today.

Or to put it more simply they are all part of the same budget.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

A clean DHS funding bill doesn't include radical immigration measures. A clean immigration bill, no matter how radical, will include additional funding for additional tasks. That's really very simple.

Yes, Repubs are still taking hostages. Repubs took this one at the opening gavel of this session. They're sure to take more as the opportunity presents itself. It's part & parcel of their general weaseldom.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012

You do realize they are part of DHS now and cutting funding to DHS cuts funds to them as well.

I had to work on my day off to get ready for the furlough that did not happen. Hopefully they will have something passed before next Thursday or may lose more time.
Many do not realize it cost more money when idiots in congress pull games like this. Instead of working at our core functions we have to prepare for a shutdown, send out notices, account for who can/has to work, roll equipment in, etc...