News House passes police reform bill

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Yes because the average American is equipped to come up with policing rules and regulations. amirite?
You perhaps fancy yourself to be sophisticated in your appreciation for the Republican bill but I think you may actually be somewhat less than average in understanding your lack of humility. Why are you so convinced you are arguing a greater truth than the general will of the people.

Let's be reasonable if we can. What the people who seek police reform want is long long long overdue change, real and significant change. Most I doubt fancy themselves qualified to write legislation but are acting out of having lived holding the shitty end of the police public stick and are marching in the streets. The whole idea of democracy is to accommodate to public demands and that includes so called liberal demands. The higher the dam is built the greater the flood when it breaks. Stupid people tell the people to eat cake which is what Republicans will try to do instinctively.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Ive read the bill and disagree it doesnt "do nothing".

*Discourages choke holds except in life threatening situations, and withholds federal grants for departments that use them.
*Requires districts to report all use of force and firearm discharge to the federal database FBI National Use of Force Data Collection.
*Require departments to retain discipline actions and use of force records for 30 years
*Establish the “Breonna Taylor Notification Act” which would track and analyze all no knock warrant actions.
*Make lynching a federal crime.
*Increase federal funding for body cams, and impose financial penalties for not using them.
*Establish something Pelosi has called for, a study looking at education, health care, education, and financial status and crime.
*Create a standardized curriculum for training in use of force and create funding for training.
* Fund an education program for Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture to create a law enforcement training program.

I dont see those as "not doing anything".

Some people think that if you don't rubber stamp everything the Progressheviks propose, you are being anti-progress.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
What are the points you believe didnt reform anything? My opinion is the Dems wont budge on anything as this will be a key talking point in the elections, therefore must defeat. The Dems are refusing to negotiate.
Are a total whatchamacallit?
The Dems want to negotiate! But when it comes to the Republicans the word negotiate means our way or the highway..

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

People sometimes say we are a Republic and not a democracy but that just shows their ignorance of the terms. Republics are a kind of democracy.
There is no way he hasn't been told this several times already.