House passes bill to make voters show ID

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Darkhawk28
The stat that I heard was since 2002, out of 190,000,000 votes cast, there have been only 52 cases of actionable voter fraud.

0.0000002%

And in Missouri, there hasn't been an actionable case of voter fraud in 50 years.

But...but...but....

WiseOldDude

Feb 13, 2005
It is utterly amazing that so many people do not pay attention to the letter of the law, they just give a knee jerk (and very stupid) approval because it is sold as preventing non-citizens from voting.

As the law is written the only document that will be a photo ID and prove citizenship is a US Passport, which costs $97.00 to get, plus it takes months.
This is simply a blatant method to eliminate the working poor from voting. People that are struggling cannot afford $100 in order to be allowed to vote. It is not about preventing immigrants (legal or illegal) from voting, but to keep the poor from voting.

fitzov

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2004
Originally posted by: WiseOldDude
It is utterly amazing that so many people do not pay attention to the letter of the law, they just give a knee jerk (and very stupid) approval because it is sold as preventing non-citizens from voting.

As the law is written the only document that will be a photo ID and prove citizenship is a US Passport, which costs $97.00 to get, plus it takes months.
This is simply a blatant method to eliminate the working poor from voting. People that are struggling cannot afford $100 in order to be allowed to vote. It is not about preventing immigrants (legal or illegal) from voting, but to keep the poor from voting.

I agree. Being able to vote is fundamental to our system of govt. If you are going to require a passport for all voters, then you need to provide them with passports using public funds.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Unless you can provide specific verbage from a neutral source, which you already seem to be familiar with, your statement is pure FUD. A state ID or DL will do for this to work, period.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006

Democrats said the only identification that would meet that requirement is a passport, which costs $97 to obtain. Only about 25 percent of Americans have passports.
Democrats say it so it must be true huh?

Check out the actual Bill
Federal Election Integrity Act of 2006'
3) SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS FOR IDENTIFICATIONS- For purposes of paragraphs (1) and (2)--

`(A) an identification is `government-issued' if it is issued by the Federal Government or by the government of a State; and

`(B) an identification is one for which an individual was required to provide proof of United States citizenship as a condition for issuance if the identification displays an official marking or other indication that the individual is a United States citizen.'.
`(B) IDENTIFICATIONS PROVIDED AT NO COST TO INDIGENT INDIVIDUALS- If a State charges an individual a fee for providing a photo identification under the program established under subparagraph (A)--

`(i) the fee charged may not exceed the reasonable cost to the State of providing the identification to the individual; and

`(ii) the State may not charge a fee to any individual who provides an attestation that the individual is unable to afford the fee.
The only problem I see is that most State DL's don't have anything on them stating that you are a US citizenship, but I am sure they can work around this.

jrenz

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: 430752
Man o man. Showing my id to vote. Soon we'll all have to answer the police questions in the name of national scurity, the govt will be able to search your house without getting a warrant first. there will be secret police who will be able to steal you off the street without anyone knowing, without any writ of areest, without habeous corpus. Then, next thing you know, there will be secret trials where you don't even get to see your accuser!

Oh, snap, we're already there! I we gave these rights up voluntailry!

look, dem or repub, illegal or legal, why do I have to prove who I am in order to exercise the franchise? Am I not a citizen and thus have the constitutional right to vote, which trumps any petty state or federal law enacted? Are you saying I'm not a citizen until I prove I am one? Aren't you supposed to assume I am one until you have reason to suspect I'm not?

man, people gotta get their heads our their poopers and see what's going on. And this ain't a dem v repub thing. This is a control thing. The govt wants you to obey them, but govt's are supposed to obey their people.

curt j.

Ok, now when you're old enough to vote, let us know how you feel.

newmachineoverlord

Jan 22, 2006
Originally posted by: fitzov

I agree. Being able to vote is fundamental to our system of govt. If you are going to require a passport for all voters, then you need to provide them with passports using public funds.

QFT

You don't have to be a citizen to get a drivers' license, so currently passports are the only photo ID that establishes citizenship. This is an unconstitutional poll tax unless all requisite ID is distributed at no expense to the voter, regardless of their income (which is not the case in the current wording of the bill.)