House Passes 1/6 Commission

Page 90 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I actually agree with how things are now. The reason the FCC requires licenses for broadcast television is it's sent over communal airwaves - all operators are exposed to their transmissions no matter if they want to be or not. Cable is sent over private networks so you only deal with it if you want to and the FCC rightfully has very limited authority over private networks.

Fox News is a malign influence on our society but I think a regulatory answer is worse than the problem.
I agree, but we need to make it easier to hold them liable for their bullshit through private lawsuits. Deformation and lies harming people.

Also need to bring back ownership limits and create collusion laws that prevent getting around the ownership limits.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I see a lot of legitimizing the likes of Joseph Goebbels.

Maybe the answer is to sue them out of existence. I’m really rooting for Dominion and they don’t seem in the mood to settle

Perhaps when private citizens or companies are trashed by them they need to sue

If that doctor who performed the abortion on that 10 year old girls was defamed she needs to sue

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
I don't like what they are saying, but govt interference here would infringe on 1A rights. More dangerous IMO.

It's a democracy, we all have that freedom, and the opposition needs to rely on winning ideological debates, not stifling them (esp because they feel like they are losing.)
What about a class action lawsuit regarding the damage and suffering their lies have caused?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's all about him, that's his perspective. He thinks he's the greatest thing ever to come out of America. He's me, me, me. I want him behind bars, but I'm not holding my breath.

I watched the last 2 hours of last night's proceedings instead of eating dinner... frankly, I'd lost my appetite but would have made dinner except for the fact that my dumb "smart" TV would have lost the recording while I was away. I was glued to the screen. I hadn't been watching the committee proceedings.

Last edited:
Reactions: pmv and Roger Wilco

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Lol at all the video takes to make his speeches.
That was some of the greatest coverage last night, the unedited (well, to some extent) TV takes. He was the biggest pig ever, showed himself for what he really is, the greatest traitor in American history, the anti-patriot supreme. He blew the competition away. Richard Nixon looks like a saint compared to Donald Trump.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If we let the government start banning channels that are considered 'propaganda' or 'lies' what do you think Trump or DeSantis would do with that power?
But they already control much of the media, why should "private" network media get a pass? FCC has too much power... it's selectively used, which translates to hypocrisy, on top of suppression and look the other way-ism.

• Love
Reactions: hal2kilo

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
That was some of the greatest coverage last night, the unedited (well, to some extent) TV takes. He was the biggest pig ever, showed himself for what he really is, the greatest traitor in American history, the anti-patriot supreme. He blew the competition away. Richard Nixon looks like a saint compared to Donald Trump.
The speech the following day, he spent over a hour to record it.

• Haha
Reactions: Muse and hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
But they already control much of the media, why should "private" network media get a pass? FCC has too much power... it's selectively used, which translates to hypocrisy, on top of suppression and look the other way-ism.
The FCC regulates transmissions that use public property (the airwaves are considered public). They just don't have the authority to govern what people say on private networks for the most part.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The FCC regulates transmissions that use public property (the airwaves are considered public). They just don't have the authority to govern what people say on private networks for the most part.
Yes, and it's a crock. Those are so-called private networks but they are NOT private, they are public, only you got to poney up $$$ to access them. If you can't do it on-the-air you shouldn't be able to do it on for pay broadcasting. I'm not a censorship guy, I don't like double standards and I deplore prevarication.

Anyway, more than I'd want further restrictions on "private" networks (unprivate if you pay), I'm against censorship, except for safety, security and protection against slander, libel, etc., but I don't call that censorship.

Last edited:
Reactions: soulcougher73

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Again, the hearing was playing only to the progressive base. The never Trump Trump haters like me. Republicans, Trumpies, and the Q's were not watching, haven't been. In fact, I found it weird that my Q sister scheduled a family dinner outing on the very night when the hearings were taking place. I know what she was doing, she wanted everyone away from their TV. As if she thought she was getting away with anything when everyone has a DVR except for my sister.

But for those that "should" be watching instead of celebrating their ignorance and complete denial, they were as always only focused on the latest Joe Biden senior moment flub. And they get that from where else but.... Fox News.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
If we let the government start banning channels that are considered 'propaganda' or 'lies' what do you think Trump or DeSantis would do with that power?

The solution is obvious and has been staring us in the face for months.

We don’t need government controlling the truth, simply enact a law similar to what Texas passed regarding abortions. Give citizens the power to sue media companies for reporting false information.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
My question, why should any Republican be trusted with any position in the federal government?
GOP Rep. Louie Gohmert says he 'grieves' for imprisoned Capitol rioters moments after latest Jan. 6 hearing (msn.com)

The biggest bullet point in that article isn't about him grieving, its this:

"Gohmert said he was not following the Jan. 6 hearings, "

As an elected official in the House of Representatives, REGARDLESS of your stance on everything going on, how can you NOT watch/follow the hearings? It seems like it should be REQUIRED viewing for all elected officials in Washington. I mean it's the biggest event ever to happen while they are employed at the Nations Capital and this guy (and I'm sure others) are just like "Nah. Not interested. New episode of NCIS: Hawaii is on tonight"?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

We don’t need government controlling the truth, simply enact a law similar to what Texas passed regarding abortions. Give citizens the power to sue media companies for reporting false information.
While I don't mind enacting these laws with the intent of forcing SCOTUS to strike them down, as a basic idea for governance they are terrible and are not a tenable long term solution.

Reactions: DarthKyrie and Muse

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
What about a class action lawsuit regarding the damage and suffering their lies have caused?

That seems to be a civil action brought by private parties, who can show standing.

That is different than the govt exerting jurisdiction and ultimately control over cable or Internet delivered content between two private parties.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Fox News headquarters is in NY. They need to pass a vigilante law so Fox can be sued by citizens for harm to the country from their lies.

Better yet, suits can happen from any state that has a Fox affiliate that broadcast the lies in question.

Reactions: DarthKyrie and Muse

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Fox News headquarters is in NY. They need to pass a vigilante law so Fox can be sued by citizens for harm to the country from their lies.

Better yet, suits can happen from any state that has a Fox affiliate that broadcast the lies in question.
Most major media companies are headquartered in New York - conservatives would happily weaponize this law.