House Oversight Committee to file contempt suit against Holder

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The House Oversight Committee is expected to file its contempt of Congress lawsuit against Attorney General Eric Holder on Monday, a Republican congressional source told Fox News.
The move comes after the House in June voted to hold Holder in contempt over the department's response to inquiries into Operation Fast and Furious.
The civil court case was expected, as congressional Republicans anticipated they would have to take their case to a judge to try and compel the Obama administration to turn over documents pertaining to the failed anti-gunrunning program.
Shortly before the House voted for contempt, President Obama locked down key documents by claiming executive privilege. That decision is expected to be challenged in the court case.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...e-contempt-suit-against-holder/#ixzz23R2NGVFU

This was not unexpected. I am curious how the court case will come out.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
In other news, obama quietly inacts a new law that says he can get people out of contempt charges with executive privilege.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Issa pandering & posturing to the fringe of firearms enthusiasts?

Say it ain't so!

He's the new Joe McCarthy.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Issa pandering & posturing to the fringe of firearms enthusiasts?

Say it ain't so!

He's the new Joe McCarthy.

LOL@fringe

This was a blatant attempt to create a situation that could be used to further their agenda, and it blew up in their faces.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Update:

Republican lawmakers leading a congressional investigation into Operation Fast and Furious have filed a lawsuit in federal court urging a judge to compel the Justice Department to turn over documents related to the botched gun-running probe.
In the lawsuit, lawyers representing House Republicans said Attorney General Eric Holder's "intransigency" and "contumacious refusal" to comply with a House subpoena have prevented congressional investigators from determining whether the Justice Department intentionally tried to obstruct their investigation.
After President Obama asserted executive privilege over the documents nearly two months ago, the full House, mostly along party lines, held Holder in criminal and civil contempt of Congress. But with a Holder ally as the gatekeeper to criminal proceedings in Washington, the criminal contempt citation was virtually dead on arrival. So now Republicans are hoping a judge will enforce the civil contempt citation.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...e-contempt-suit-against-holder/#ixzz23WMnGpSd

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Pure posturing at its most transparent. Issa's quarrel is rightfully with Obama, not Holder. Holder would be obliged to meet Congress' requests had Obama not ordered him to do otherwise. Such is the nature of separation of powers & the assertion of executive privilege.

Repubs' only real answer is impeachment, and I seriously doubt that the Judicial branch will find otherwise.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Can I join the lawsuit as a party? I have nothing but contempt for Issa and the way he runs the House Oversight Committee as his political fiefdom.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Wow, it is interesting to see so many people defend the Fast and Furious gun smuggling program coverup.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Wow, it is interesting to see so many people defend the Fast and Furious gun smuggling program coverup.

I find neither that nor the opposite interesting or at all unexpected. It's also not surprising that attackers and defenders are almost 100% in different parties.

The usual suspects defend, and the usual suspects attack. *Yawn*..

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Exectutive privlige should only apply to members of his cabinet. Holder is not even in the Executive Branch.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I find neither that nor the opposite interesting or at all unexpected. It's also not surprising that attackers and defenders are almost 100% in different parties.

The usual suspects defend, and the usual suspects attack. *Yawn*..

For me, I do not care who the President is, the president should not block an investigation. I was against it when Bush did it too. Presidents are not above the law.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

It's even more interesting how the usual suspects can create a conspiracy theory from their own paranoid fantasies.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
It's even more interesting how the usual suspects can create a conspiracy theory from their own paranoid fantasies.

You are a well known Obamite...Obama could admit he kidnaps people's pets and kills them and you would defend him for doing it. What position do you hold in the Church of the Obama?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Exectutive privlige should only apply to members of his cabinet. Holder is not even in the Executive Branch.

For me, I do not care who the President is, the president should not block an investigation. I was against it when Bush did it too. Presidents are not above the law.

There is a real investigation in progress, by the Inspector General's office. Issa's efforts are more like McCarthy's HUAC investigations, and anybody with a lick of sense needs to understand that.

Issa doesn't give a damn about the truth, and never has.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
There ya go. Pretend it didn't happen. Ya, we are making this shit up.

You make shit up all the time, extrapolate to find intent where there is none.

You are a well known Obamite...Obama could admit he kidnaps people's pets and kills them and you would defend him for doing it. What position do you hold in the Church of the Obama?

Resorting to absurd false attributions & smears so early in the discussion? Feeling cornered already? Following Issa's lead?

I'm willing to wait for the Inspector General's report, which will likely be more honest & accurate than any partisan slime job Issa ever created. It'll be released soon-

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...t-and-furious-whistleblowers-hold-high-hopes/

Partisans may attack Horowitz' integrity, but they won't defend Issa's because even they know he doesn't have any.