House of Cards

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
The stock exchanges now have protections in place to prevent (or at least limit the effect of) huge crashes, like the one that kicked off the great depression.

I'm not saying it won't happen again, I'm just saying that it won't happen in the same way.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
With the dollar in the toilet our exports should be skyrocketing....

Problems is, we don't make jack shit in this country anymore, we are a service economy.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: ayabe

Problems is, we don't make jack shit in this country anymore, we are a service economy.
How did the export of goods from the US rise over 25% this quarter and increase nearly 50 billion dollars compared to last quarter if we don't make anything here anymore?

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken

How did the export of goods from the US rise over 25% this quarter and increase nearly 50 billion dollars compared to last quarter if we don't make anything here anymore?

Perhaps they classify our US Soldiers in Iraq as an export.

Oct 30, 2004
When you maintain an $800 billion/year trade deficit because you allow your nation to get exposed to global labor arbitrage, this sort of thing can happen to your economy.

Many of those dollars will come back--but not to purchase American labor--but rather to buy American hard assets--businesses, real estate, etc. We just traded real wealth for short-term consumable wealth. GGs guys.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: piotrgurin
The Federal Reserve Bank is private bank.

Its about as Federal as Fed Ex.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blo...w/archives/014693.html

1. The Fed is *not* a private company. It operates under Congressional mandate and is owned 100% by the member banks within the system. *Every* bank that is part of the Federal Reserve system, which is more or less every bank in the country, ownes shares in that system. This includes Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, Bank of New York Mellon, Wachovia, Washinton Mutual, LeSalle, TFC, Wells Fargo, Bank Atlantic, Commerce Bank, 5/3rd, or any other bank you can think of. Since those banks are *PUBLIC* companies, the Fed is essentially owned by *EVERYBODY* in the country.

People think that the Fed should be abolished and that Congress should take over managing the currency. Sure. Perhaps 200 years ago when we didn't vote in dipshits. However, the short-term nature of Congressional "worries" (aka, getting re-elected) and the long-term concern of managing the economy, are not congruent. Thus, the two should absolutely be delinked.

The Fed is also very secret because, if it weren't, then the markets would be extremely volatile. Looking into the Fed on a minute basis would be akin to allowing people direct access to *every* board of directors of *every* company for *every* meeting. That would introduce tremendous problems, as people tossing around ideas, problems, solutions, and long-term projections would then be prone to conjecture in the market. The financial markets would be so stutter-stopped and jagged by the news that risk would skyrocket. Asking for a lot more transparency would stifle the Fed's ability to manage thigns on a long-term basis.

The Fed pays the government more than 80bn in revenue per year. *ALL* profits go to the government. Profits are from revenues on lending money to all banks, that money is from member banks and the government. The interest charged by the Fed, from banks, is then dividended out to the member banks (they deserve return for their lending), the remainder goes to the government.

2. Get a clue about the "government". WE spend the money the way WE want it. People try to pretend that the government is not representative of us, yet we vote them in. The Fed acts in accordance with the needs of the government, which passes laws to spend. WE vote in those who pass the laws. As soon as WE learn that WE need to either cut spending or raise taxes, then WE will not have to borrow.

3. Inflation doesn't occur just because currency circulation increases. If that were the case then we'd be facing drastically increasing inflation. Money can and should grow with the economic growth of the country. The more goods, services, and wealth in the country, the more currency should be circulated. Otherwise you are in a deflationary system.

Inflation occurs for several reasons. That includes growth resulting in wage increases which then floats into the system. It's also caused by the input of foreign goods into the system, which may be increasing in price (importing inflation). There are dozens of other reasons.

4. The problem with the Fed is that it has the problem of trying to balance short-term movements with long-term projections using historical events. Anybody who is a quantitative person involved in statistics knows that history is a very imperfect predictor of the future. You are always behind the curve. When inflation finally rears it's ugly head, it's too late and you are trying to play catch-up. AFAIK the only time the Fed was able to head off inflation was the mid 90's when they did pre-emptive rate increases, which turned out to be very accurate. However, those were gut feelings, not exact data driven events.

Furthermore, economics, at it's heart, is still an art, not a science. It is impossible to gauge human psychology when it comes down to these events. Thus, managing the growth of an economy that is unpredictable and un projectionable is more or less an impossible task.

Thus, the movements of the Fed are imperfect. Additionally, they will never be popular because everybody wants growth to be predictable. However, irrational exuberance, irrational pessimism, and the bubble mindset make it impossible to predict exactly how to stimulate or reign in the economy.

Additionally, the very nature of the Fed is to try to be as hands-off as possible without letting the economy run rampant. However, the ability of the economy to go through boom and busts have led to some of the greatest inventions and times of innovation and genius this country has ever seen. This destructive creativism is essential to continuing a modern country.

Blame the Fed all you want for the problems. However, until you come up with a viable and implementable solution, then shut the fuck up. I am sure some dipshit will go on and on about gold. But guess what? Gold is a commodity that is prone to speculation worse than a currency. It's deflationary in nature. It's inflexible, as the 1930's proved since *ALL* countries still o nthe gold standard took, on average, about 5 more years to even begin to recover.

Our currency is backed by something a lot less problematic, the US economy, the US military, and US innovation. It may not be fungible like gold, but is sure as hell gives you a vested interest.

In conclusion, let me ask people this. If the Fed, with a Fiat currency, were so evil and the root of all inflation, then how was inflation caused in the 1960s and 1970s when the Fed had far less control over rates. It had far less power to put bills into the market. The government had essentially no debt and the amount of currency into circulation. How then, was the Fed able to raise rates and get inflation under control so quickly? I thought the Fed was evil and wanted inflation?

What then, about years prior to that? When inflation was unpredictable, wild, high, low, inflationary, deflationary, and the economy was much more difficult to manage? Was that such a great time then? Additionally, you are talking about 100 years ago when managing an economy 1/200th the size was relatively easy. Now, using the same system, woudl be impossible and would lead to our collapse.

You people are so f'ing ignorant of the facts of the Fed, it's purpose, economcis, and above all, HISTORY and HUMAN PSYCHOLOGY, that you are nothing more than blind fools running around the internet trying to act knowledgable as you link to ridiculous websites that have just as little knowledge as you do. It's worse than the blind leading the blind.

It's the blind, dumb, deaf, stupid, crippled, armless, legless, slugs trying to lead other slugs over a cliff.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

You people are so f'ing ignorant of the facts of the Fed, it's purpose, economcis, and above all, HISTORY and HUMAN PSYCHOLOGY, that you are nothing more than blind fools running around the internet trying to act knowledgable as you link to ridiculous websites that have just as little knowledge as you do. It's worse than the blind leading the blind.

It's the blind, dumb, deaf, stupid, crippled, armless, legless, slugs trying to lead other slugs over a cliff.

Why can't you play nice?

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XaxdUPNYj2s

Great Video

Everyone knows it's game over for the USA.

What happens next, if you must know, is the USA strikes out at the world creating more wars in more places, until we get one big enough to restart our manufacturing base and rebuild our nation.

Currently, everyone is raping the nation with absolutely no care or loyalty to it. So make your money while you can, might as well.
It's not going to be worth anything soon though unless you buy Euros or gold.

Once we succeed in starting WW3 we'll recover from this economy.

No need to elect a sensible, practical, principled man like Ron Paul today.
Take that garbage and begone. I like blinders.

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
Originally posted by: feralkid

Why can't you play nice?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: feralkid

Why can't you play nice?

Because I suck. That and I am tired of every person who reads some conspiracy website, ronpaulbot site, or any other half-truth ill-informed FUD site posting here thinking they know everything. This is their typical post...

"OMG OMG OMG, TEH FED IS NOT FEDRAL! OMG! GOLD STANDARD, BAN FED, JEWZ OWN THE FED, ROTHSCHILD! OMG!! ME = SMART FOR KNOWIN THIS! OMG! RON PAUL 0WNZ0RS BERNANKE!!!"

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
The Federal Reserve Bank is private bank.

Its about as Federal as Fed Ex.

You have zero idea what you're talking about.

Hlafordlaes

May 21, 2006
@LegendKiller

Thanks for the fine post. Reasoned discourse is a rarity even on AT, where I had expected a bit more enlightenment, frankly. Sigh.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
When you maintain an $800 billion/year trade deficit because you allow your nation to get exposed to global labor arbitrage, this sort of thing can happen to your economy.

Many of those dollars will come back--but not to purchase American labor--but rather to buy American hard assets--businesses, real estate, etc. We just traded real wealth for short-term consumable wealth. GGs guys.

For example the Citi bailout
http://www.npr.org/templates/s...d=16650405&ft=1&f=1003

The OPEC nations are planning for the future when their oil runs out.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: JTsyo

What is wrong with that? Out of all Muslim countries, Dubai is the most western-like. They have, and will continue to be, very good trading and strategic partners. Additionally, as their currency appreciates due to their oil nature and ours depreciates, their investment becomes worth less, so what's the problem?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Hlafordlaes
@LegendKiller

Thanks for the fine post. Reasoned discourse is a rarity even on AT, where I had expected a bit more enlightenment, frankly. Sigh.

As you can see, at a few points, I even get frustrated. That's actually just a cut and paste of another thread. I decided to just do that, plus start tweaking the post, since most of these people just go around making new threads, thinking they are all smart and knowing. I am sure not one of them has a good counter to any of the points in the post. But reading it, I see where I can tweak it.

I think they are flabbergasted when I say that, right now, there's probably an 80% probability I will vote for Ron Paul. I completely disagree with his view of the Fed, but I also agree with most of his other positions. I even talk to people about him to get them to vote for him.

However, people like these guys, ignorant fools running around the internet, are only a detriment to his cause. They do not know what they are talking about and do nothing but spread FUDD. It's annoying for an educated person, such as me or others, to see this and still vote for RP.

I think, above all, the lesson that RP tries to teach is one of education, reasoning thinking, and non-status quo if the status quo is not working (and it isn't in many cases that he espouses). However, these fools are anything but. They are not educated, not reasoned, and do nothing but accept the status quo of every other RonPaulBot.

They are nothing more than brainwashed evangilizers running from one forum to the next preaching stupidity. It's really sad that they cannot even see that they are the antithesis of his message even if they aren't a Clinton or Romney/McCain/Guiliani supporter.

So Sad...

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: JTsyo

What is wrong with that? Out of all Muslim countries, Dubai is the most western-like. They have, and will continue to be, very good trading and strategic partners. Additionally, as their currency appreciates due to their oil nature and ours depreciates, their investment becomes worth less, so what's the problem?

Not to also mention the fact that the Dubai shares are essentially a non-voting stake.
Dubai will have ZERO say in Citigroup management or how it's run.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken

American financial companies sell lots of financial products.

and there's always Core2Duo !