HOTTEST DEAL EVER!!! Remember 9-1-1 , goto your local FD or PD tommorrow!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nightfall

Golden Member
Nov 16, 1999
Originally posted by: ouzome
To the attention of anyone thinking about posting anymore stupid comments:
Please re-read the post from wolfcry1. You don't know what you're talking about and he does.
And he has a sense of humor about it, even after all your rude, crude and uncalled for comments.
Nightfall, JoeBaD, and the other jerry boys need not post negative comments. Don't get me wrong, I'm the most conservative, tax-hating, near-Libertarian I know. However, therefore, please do note . . . the firefighters provide a service which is necessary. If you're going to @itch, complain about the Liberal agenda and all the wastefull programs that do not provide a service for you. The firefighters, be it privatized or government controlled, save your ducking life. You won't @itch when you escape death.

That being said, I go to the Hot Deals everyday. It's a community, friends, whatever. Even though you're not going to get a hard drive for $9.99 AR after reading this, I think it's an important post. But, I agree with wolfcry 1's comments regarding not visiting your local fire deparment. I don't think they would really want that, just mail a donation or send them a pizza - or the hot chick.
Uh, I didn't post one negative thing about going to visit the firefighters or police department. My only comment is that this does not belong here and I am sticking with it. This is not a hot deal. Read the FAQ sometime and you will see that. I have no problem with people visiting the local fire department, donating to their cause, and so on. This is America, and the freedom of choice is what makes America great.

I will also say this. There are a lot of stupid comments and trolling coming from both sides on this. Things from one side saying this is a stupid idea and from the other side saying "Well, when your house is burning down, be thankful then".

In conclusion, lock this thread or move it to OT.

WigglePuppy

Feb 14, 2002
This makes me sick.......Joe Bad, you are a disgrace to all that is human and of an individual who cares for nothing but himself...I am a Firefighter and a Paramedic, and I DO work 24 hour shifts, I see my bed when I have time for maybe 3-4 hours during that shift!... I save lives,...really on a daily basis!!!!..I make the difference in peoples well-being. You dont know how many times I have been thanked, and not even considered my self a hero,..just doing my job! You are of the 2%er's that don't know a damn thing about our jobs! Dont forget, I risk my life on a daily basis, even if it's responding to a false alarm, and also risking the lives of citizens around me as well! I love what I do, because I do it well!...My fire captain died last year after 9/11 trying to rescue a citizen(like you) and died in vain! Now, you tell me...how do you think his wife would feel if he COULD sleep 24 hours during his shift?,...Ask his kids, if he ever injured himself, COULD he be off on disability until he was well enough to return to work?...Ask his coworkers, How's That side business going, even though the economy is in a slump right now and not making a profit to help sustain a decent quality of life?,..Now ask me, How do I feel?...........I miss him......I was there when he died!!!!!!

frankqfrank

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2001
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE Lock... or move to OT. TOTALLY WRONG FORUM!

You are over 20 times more likely to die on duty as commercial fisherman than as a firefighter.
EDIT: I have no idea if that is accurate, several websites conflict with each other and what I think I heard on the radio. Take it with a grain of salt.
EDIT2: Timber Cutters edge out Fisherman, "But while police and firefighter deaths make the news, neither job is among the most fatal"

freakflag

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
If it's in defense of our Police and Firefighters,

I say flame on, baby, flame on!

:D

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by: WigglePuppy
This makes me sick.......Joe Bad, you are a disgrace to all that is human and of an individual who cares for nothing but himself...I am a Firefighter and a Paramedic, and I DO work 24 hour shifts, I see my bed when I have time for maybe 3-4 hours during that shift!... I save lives,...really on a daily basis!!!!..I make the difference in peoples well-being. You dont know how many times I have been thanked, and not even considered my self a hero,..just doing my job! You are of the 2%er's that don't know a damn thing about our jobs! Dont forget, I risk my life on a daily basis, even if it's responding to a false alarm, and also risking the lives of citizens around me as well! I love what I do, because I do it well!...My fire captain died last year after 9/11 trying to rescue a citizen(like you) and died in vain! Now, you tell me...how do you think his wife would feel if he COULD sleep 24 hours during his shift?,...Ask his kids, if he ever injured himself, COULD he be off on disability until he was well enough to return to work?...Ask his coworkers, How's That side business going, even though the economy is in a slump right now and not making a profit to help sustain a decent quality of life?,..Now ask me, How do I feel?...........I miss him......I was there when he died!!!!!!

God bless people like you.

VaG

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2001
I'm glad to see so many people want to show their support for firefighters & police 1 day out of a year. Well, only after a major tragedy of course. Why don't you go hug them one of the other 364 days in the year. I'm willing to bet it would mean a lot more them. Anyway, I highly doubt they are interested in a bunch of hugs or aunt Elda's nasty homemade cookies.

Bomex

Nov 30, 2001
I'm glad to see so many people want to show their support for firefighters & police 1 day out of a year. Well, only after a major tragedy of course. Why don't you go hug them one of the other 364 days in the year. I'm willing to bet it would mean a lot more them. Anyway, I highly doubt they are interested in a bunch of hugs or aunt Elda's nasty homemade cookies.
yeah that's what i was thinking...oh well, I guess it's the American way. Be patriotic and whatnot for a day and forget about it the next day.

Let's lock this thread up.
Or move to OT

EDIT: Oh, and I risk my life everyday going to a public school. Do I get a hug? :p

DanFungus

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
wow....I didn't know that I'd see all this stuff written in this thread.....

I don't really have any opinion or strong feelings coming from 9-11, since I wasn't really directly affected.

Amazing to see such strong feelings from both sides of the fence....

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: TechDreamer
I have friends that became fireman and there ok, but every jerk I went to high school with became a cop.

You know it. Or the complete jerk living on the same dorm floor as you freshman year in college, who was only there on a football scholarship, and constantly reminded everyone that he was going to be a state police (bully) someday.

Actually, only the really successful jerks get to be cops. The rest have to settle with becoming "security guards".

PS. As for the original point of this thread - I think it would be a VERY BAD idea to bug the cops/firefighters on this day. I think that they probably have enough stress and "hightened alert" problems to deal with. However, sending them something small to show your gratitude, like a card, later on in the week, probably wouldn't be too bad. I hear rumors that firefighters like to get mail, I don't know if it's true or not. As for police... lets just say I'm not a fan of most folks who choose that profession, ok?

emonkey

Golden Member
Dec 2, 1999
Originally posted by: scottrico
2. SAME as above but goto your police dept.
are you crazy?

f**k the police. Where's the memorial for all the people they kill every year for no reason?
I can name some too but this is not the place for that.

Oh please. Give me a break. There are tons of memorials for all the criminals that the cops kill all the time. They come right in between the "no justice no peace" rallies of unemployed disgruntled citizens and the "f**k the police. Where's the memorial for all the people they kill every year for no reason?" posts.

So keep on living on the "cops are evil" stereotype of 15 years ago and keep on believing criminals like rodney king were treated wrongly because it seems to make you happy to be such a media shill.
:eek:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: freakflag
You know...whenever someone says to me "Man, the cops are a$$holes!", 9 times out of 10 the person I'm talking to is a dirtbag who was doing something wrong anyway. If you have a bad attitude about cops, chances are it's because you are freakin' GUILTY!
Frankly, most of these people need a good smack in thier collective pointy head.:disgust:

Honestly, if it were me, I would give you a good smack back, and perhaps more besides.

Let me tell you a little story. It partially explains my feelings towards police.

For several years, I lived in a somewhat quiet, generally rich and predominantly white suburban town. I lived there, because my parental(s) moved, because I was in HS, and supposedly this town had a better HS than the one I had lived in prior (mostly true).

Well, having graduated from HS, and still living in that town, I went for a walk, in the late summer. It was a warm evening, about an hour before midnight. On my walk, I saw a policeman, and for some strange reason, chose to actually attempt some sort of a greeting, so I waved and said hi, and walked on to the center of town.

I went to the gas station, which also had a fast-food franchise, and got a sandwich. I sat on this sort of landmark near the intersection at the center of town, where I had seen many kids often hang out (during the day) while I was in HS, although I never had myself before. I sat and ate my sandwich, while watching the traffic pass through the intersection. At some point, after finishing my sandwich, I walked to a convenience store catty-corner to the light. I bought some cookies. I left the store, and walked up to the corner, at the light, waiting for it to turn green. See, I actually don't cross against the light. I guess I was just brough up that way. Anyways, there was a cop also waiting at the light. I waited for a few seconds for the light to change, but before it did, the cop called me over.

Basically, he asked me who I was, where I was going, did I have ID (I gave him my driver's license), and then after entering all this stuff into his laptop computer, proceeded to tell me that if *anyone* knocked over that convenience store that night, that he would be coming after *me*. I was quite frankly shocked. I felt violated, that my rights to be iinnocent until proven guilty were taken away. I was wondering if perhaps I should actually hang around, to make sure someone else didn't actually try to knock over the store. Like it was somehow my job to protect it, to protect my own good name. I guess after getting over my anger at the cop for the situation (cop long gone by now), I finally went home, after crossing the street and sitting down again and eating some of the cookies. That was the first, and most definately the last, time I was every friendly/neighborly/whatever with a police officer.

I had also, previously while in HS, been harassed by the police, walking home from school late (dusk/early evening - I often stayed late in the "computer room", being friends with the sysadmin, and liking hacking on a minicomputer). I thought that was disturbing as well. I mean, I was just walking home from school. Why should be harassed, and asked for ID? I was on foot, with a bookbag, no less.

Not to mention, one night while driving home, at about 2am, was followed along the road, up until I turned into my driveway, tailgated by some a** with his brights on. After turning into my driveway, realized that it was a cop car that was tailing me.

There was also someone who actually self-published their own book about how bad the police were in this town, and one of the small local bookstores was selling it.

I also know of someone actively suing the police dept in this particular town.

Not to mention, I believe that I actually witnesses a police-protected drug deal go down behind one of the buildings in the center of town. That may also have been a reason why I had been harassed as much as I was in this town. Thankfully, I don't like there any more, and I try to avoid driving through that town late at night.

Lets just say, that bad cops, exist in places other than just small midwestern hick towns. (Actually, I've run into authorities in that sort of scenario as well, and they were actually rather nice to me, but that's another story for another time. And no, I didn't do anything wrong in that case either.)

As for firefighters... well, I respect them. A lot more than the donut-eating species of uniformed human, if they are even that. The one thing I learned about police is, clearly, their job is not to protect, but rather to intimidate.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: emonkey
Originally posted by: scottrico
2. SAME as above but goto your police dept.
are you crazy?

f**k the police. Where's the memorial for all the people they kill every year for no reason?
I can name some too but this is not the place for that.

Oh please. Give me a break. There are tons of memorials for all the criminals that the cops kill all the time. They come right in between the "no justice no peace" rallies of unemployed disgruntled citizens and the "f**k the police. Where's the memorial for all the people they kill every year for no reason?" posts.

So keep on living on the "cops are evil" stereotype of 15 years ago and keep on believing criminals like rodney king were treated wrongly because it seems to make you happy to be such a media shill.
:eek:

Oh yeah. Last weekend, at the mall, I saw two cops come up and harass and mace some 20-ish black kid. I didn't witness him do anything particularly notable before this incedent, other that the fact that there were a *ton* of kids hanging around the mall. (Actually, I do think that the cops told the kids to leave, and they didn't move very fast. I think the cops simply grabbed an older-looking black kid to make an example out of him. Not totally unlike the Rodney King thing, actually.) In fact, I was sitting on a bench, and I almost had the cops, holding onto the kid, fall on me. (This was before they told him to get on the ground, and then decided to mace him. Thankfully a plant next to the bench caught their fall, and I got the hell out of there, lest they decide to harass me as well. Although, I'm not black, so the likelyhood of two white cops grabbing me and throwing me to the ground, would probably be quite slim.)

FastFredE

Feb 20, 2001
Originally posted by: VaG

Exactly!

Btw, it was mentioned a couple of times already I believe, but why does the military get NO respect or thanks!?! Having served this great country, I have experienced the same and more hostile environments than most firemen and policemen. It's part of the job and something that needs no reward or glory, however, a simple "thank you" or "we appreciate you" is a far greater reward, than being put up on a pedastool as a hero.

The following link is an example of the type of recognition that goes unnoticed all the time: Linky

XCLAN

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: BeerGod
this isnt about what they do 9-5 you few idiots!
Its about what happened last year on 9-1-1..

I seriously think we have some people in this forum who have no clue in life...

Agreed beergod....makes me sick to hear all these people bagging on firemen......why bag on anyone? there are millions of jobs in this country like crociery clerks, salesmen; insurance agents, lawyers, etc...there is no need to make fun of any of them. there is no reason to show hate toward one another. and today happens to be a very important day for the rest of our lives...and it just so happens for the time being firemen and policemen etc...should be given just a little extra credit. Good Job to anyone who gives credit to the brave on 9-1-1

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
While my heart and thanks go out to all that participated in the recovery and rescue of 9/11 PLEASE either move this to OT or lock it.

This is the wrong forum to have a political debate about the usefulness of the PD and FD.

I am all for giving thanks to those guys but this is NOT a hot deal.

Nostrada

Jun 26, 2002
Instead of bitching around here, go outside and appreciate the day. I will show my 7 months old son the ocean today and be with my wife and remember that we are having it good.

Enough said

SpongeBobPalmBay

Nov 9, 2001

People at the forum do have a heart... BUT, if you take a WACKY message like the first on this thread and THEN post it at a forum where it doesn't belong... even some of the best people will turn on you.

Pretty sure that the people at the police station don't want hugs from me...