Question [HotNews] NV's Ultimate end-game - monthly GPU rental? (GeForce Now 3080 tier)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Could be. What would you do, if GPU *ownership* disappeared off the market, and they went rental-only? Both for gaming, and potentially, crypto and other CUDA applications?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Could be. What would you do, if GPU *ownership* disappeared off the market, and they went rental-only? Both for gaming, and potentially, crypto and other CUDA applications?
What I'd tell them isn't allowed to be said in the forum's technical forums. ;)

That being said, am I the only one who can't stand all these various YouTuber's "surprised", "angry", and "deep-thought" faces they all seem to put in their videos to try to get people to watch it?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Think of it this way - if GPU prices at the high-end (for the "cinematic" experience) keep increasing, they will eventually get priced out of the range of nearly every gamer (irregardless of what the crypto market does). Why not pay for a GPU time-share for 3-4 hours / day instead for gaming purposes, and only pay a percentage of the total GPU's cost.
(Much like a time-share condo.)

Taking this news alongside NV rumored to actually STOP producing 30-series GPUs, and now their interest in rental, well, both of those are a 1-2 punch, aren't they.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Think of it this way - if GPU prices at the high-end (for the "cinematic" experience) keep increasing, they will eventually get priced out of the range of nearly every gamer (irregardless of what the crypto market does). Why not pay for a GPU time-share for 3-4 hours / day instead for gaming purposes, and only pay a percentage of the total GPU's cost.

Taking this news alongside NV rumored to actually STOP producing 30-series GPUs, and now their interest in rental, well, both of those are a 1-2 punch, aren't they.
Then AMD would capture most of the market... They would get my money....

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Think of it this way - if GPU prices at the high-end (for the "cinematic" experience) keep increasing, they will eventually get priced out of the range of nearly every gamer (irregardless of what the crypto market does).
I welcome to the collapse of the insane GPU pricing. There will be a bust. How far in the future that is, I'm not sure. But it will happen.

I know some people are willing to pay that, but the higher the pricing goes, the more people will begin to say "nope".

I know I've already said "nope" at their current insane pricing levels. There's more to life than buying $700 MSRP video cards for $3000 because they create magical funny "money".

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I know I've already said "nope" at their current insane pricing levels. There's more to life than buying $700 MSRP video cards for $3000 because they create magical funny "money".
Sigh. I've mostly done the same, but on the other hand, yesterday's "scalper prices" become today's "suggested MSRP". So, on the assumption that prices are going to continue to rise, better to buy now than later.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Sigh. I've mostly done the same, but on the other hand, yesterday's "scalper prices" become today's "suggested MSRP". So, on the assumption that prices are going to continue to rise, better to buy now than later.
I know AMD and Nvidia will increase their MSRPs for sure, and that's bad enough.

But as long as there is money to be made with the various cryptos out there, the street price will be 2x - 4x of that amount. Even if a particular card isn't good at mining, there's gamers who will have to decide if high prices of what's available is worth it to them, and over the last 20 months or so, most have decided it is.

Sadly for me, the whole sudden increase in computer component's pricing because of the latest craze (like Chia and the various cryptos) has completely taken my interest out of PCs for the most part.

Reactions: dvsv

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sadly for me, the whole sudden increase in computer component's pricing because of the latest craze (like Chia and the various cryptos) has completely taken my interest out of PCs for the most part.
I'm sorry to hear that. The whole Chia introduction and subsequent crash was a curious sort of case-study. (I'm not a fan of Chia.)

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
It is just a sign of a market with too few vendors and too little competition. Hopefully Intel can help disrupt the market. (A sentence I never thought I would say)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
That being said, am I the only one who can't stand all these various YouTuber's "surprised", "angry", and "deep-thought" faces they all seem to put in their videos to try to get people to watch it?
Detest it. Sooner the trend dies, the better.

My hot take: Marketed correctly, this is going to be great for parents with under 18 children. It is just in time for the Holidays. The kids will be limited in how long they can play. $100 for little Bobby or Suzy to play for the next 6 months, is way cheaper than a new "gaming pc or laptop".

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
You'll still need at least an iGPU if you want to do anything else with the computer unless you pay for a dGPU ( which cost high-end prices).

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Not quite sure how an announcement of a higher end geforce now subscription became Nvidia will go cloud only?
In all seriousness however assuming the internet continues to improve (bandwidth and latency) then cloud gaming makes more and more sense - it is a much more efficient use of gpu resources. If you have a gpu in your home pc then 1 gpu services 1 person, on the cloud it can service 10 people or more easily. If gpu's continue to get more complex and more expensive this is a solution.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Not quite sure how an announcement of a higher end geforce now subscription became Nvidia will go cloud only?
In all seriousness however assuming the internet continues to improve (bandwidth and latency) then cloud gaming makes more and more sense - it is a much more efficient use of gpu resources. If you have a gpu in your home pc then 1 gpu services 1 person, on the cloud it can service 10 people or more easily. If gpu's continue to get more complex and more expensive this is a solution.
How does the cloud give you a 10x performance increase over the desktop? The GPU has a limited amount of performance, the more tasks it does, the less it has available for each individual task.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
How does the cloud give you a 10x performance increase over the desktop? The GPU has a limited amount of performance, the more tasks it does, the less it has available for each individual task.
He means timesharing.

That is where the The Davos philosophy comes from. "You'll own nothing and be happy". Isn't it obvious that a lot of the major players want a rental future.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Yeah I hate that too. All of them saying X card is redacted because it's not worth the price, but have dozens of GPUs gathering dust on their shelves. I don't watch any of them anymore, especially those that do the sad face but the week after post a video showing them assembling a new PC with a brand new 3090 or 6900 XT.

We gave a zero tolerance policy about profanity in the tech forums.
Don't do it again.

Iron Woode

Super Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
He means timesharing.

That is where the The Davos philosophy comes from. "You'll own nothing and be happy". Isn't it obvious that a lot of the major players want a rental future.
I can't imagine competitive esports, FPS, or TBS games working all that good. I believe you only get 8 hours per day max as well - I've never done that in one sitting, but I probably have over a 24 hour period.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
As others said timesharing, I assumed that was obvious as that's how the cloud works. Given a big enough group of people you will end up with a fairly steady usage pattern for processing power used, the peaks of that will be a small fraction of the processing power available if the everyone had a machine at home. Hence it's a much more efficent use of resources to all use the cloud as you need a fraction of the processing power (gpu's) and because data can travel down wires at near lightspeed it's the ideal hardware to share.
The moment we all have 4k@120hz with < 10ms latency it becomes an obvious way to go. Not an impossible dream looking at how fast internet improvements are coming - where I live the latest package I can get is 1gbit down, 100mb up, 4ms latency to London where the cloud is likely based - so I could already get it, give it a few years and most of us will have that available.

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I won't be renting, but honestly whatever happens, happens. Gamers as old as me are firmly in "back in my day" territory while we expect things to remain the same. It's not our day anymore and it never will be again. We got to enjoy the entertainment technology era when it was exciting and new. If they don't want people to own GPUs anymore, then fine. I guess the days of ownership and consumer rights are coming to a close. If that's where the newbies want to put their money, then that's their call to make. It's your day now guys. You get to call the shots!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I could see a service, where ordinary people who own GPUs, rent them over the internet, to those that don't. (Gigabit fiber connection or better required for gaming usage.)

Kind of like mining, but instead, GPU rental for gaming. When/if mining collapses, could be the next big thing.