Hotmail and POP3

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
anyone know if you can do POP3 message retrieval through hotmail if you pony up the $20/year for the "extra storage" program? this is said to be possible in several news reports I've read but I dont see it on any MS site...or if you can tell me how to do automatic deletion of messages on the server via the (free) http method in OE then I'd be just as happy. :)

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Yeah, lets cheat the system and circumvent the required purchase... It's been done before ya know... it's called theft.

nik

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Ii think for your pop3 field you put somesort of hotmail.com address, not sure exactly what though.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Well this is quite an enlightening thread, not that im adding anything of intrinsic value.

speed01

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2001
If you are using Outlook Express, when you set up the Hotmail account it automatically inserts the required info to connect to Hotmail. Once you view a message, if you delete it, it's gone from the server. If you keep it, it stays on the server. Not sure if this answers any of your questions but thought I'd give it a try. If not, what exactly is it you are trying to do??

If you are looking for a way to keep your in-box from getting full between checks, sorry, I don't know of any...:eek:

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
i wish you could use the junk mail deletion with key words like OE does for Hotmail....like filtering out the words "free, won, xxx" and so forth.

-=bmacd=-

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
If you are looking for a way to keep your in-box from getting full between checks, sorry, I don't know of any...:eek:

That's main reason #1, main reason #2 is to be able to use add-on spam filter programs. You cannot do either (AFAIK) via the built in OE HTTP hotmail method. I'd be willing to pay $20 if I can retrieve them via POP3 like any other standard mail account....

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
wasnt there a program when Yahoo got rid of free POP3 service that could retrieve yahoo mail? i'll do a search for it. might work with Hotmail as well.

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
If you own a copy of office 2k or xp, and can get it working with hotmail ... tho I don't think OE uses pop3 to connect, I think it uses http protocol to do it, you can configure rules. There's also a rules wizard in oe 6, but I hear that it's less powerful that outlooks. It may do the trick tho.

Oh ... hi, my name is yoda and I've been ATOT free for ... doh!

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: dakata24
wasnt there a program when Yahoo got rid of free POP3 service that could retrieve yahoo mail? i'll do a search for it. might work with Hotmail as well.

I've found a shareware program but it's very clumsy and even more expensive ($28 after 30 days). Is there a customer service number I can call microsoft at to ask?

diskop

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Lucky
Originally posted by: dakata24

I've found a shareware program but it's very clumsy and even more expensive ($28 after 30 days). Is there a customer service number I can call microsoft at to ask?

I remember a freeware version of a program that did this. Not sure where it was though. You can fidn it with a bit of searching.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: ffmcobalt
Or I can just set Lucky up on my domain with an account with no restrictions. :)

nik

i have 4 domains of my own. that has nothing to do with hotmail and getting it to work standardized with OE.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: bmacd
i wish you could use the junk mail deletion with key words like OE does for Hotmail....like filtering out the words "free, won, xxx" and so forth.

-=bmacd=-

you can