Hotel room internet policy

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I'll be staying at this hotel next week for a few days, and it has this weird thing on their webpage:

High-Speed Internet Access has to be pre- booked so that DSL modem can be installed at a charge .

Is that normal?

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I wouldn't say that's normal, but it's not unheard of, especially outside of the States.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
one place I stayed with just had a huge wireless network that anyone could log on to and one place gave us passwords for the proxy. never had to pay.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
you stayed at too high end of a place, the medium places don't charge and you don't have to do crap like that

i was at a place, i think it was in vegas, where they had a seperate dsl modem stuck under the desk, it was weird

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
It can partly be the age of the hotel - some don't really have the infrastructure to support RJ-45 jacks in every room. The DSL modem is probably to communicate to a regular switchboard in the hotel.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: RaiderJ
It can partly be the age of the hotel - some don't really have the infrastructure to support RJ-45 jacks in every room. The DSL modem is probably to communicate to a regular switchboard in the hotel.

That's a possibility I guess.

Indolent

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2003

but wifi can cover everything. There's plenty of places that charge for wifi too. And one I was at last week (crowne plaza near LAX) that said they charged for it but I was getting it free for some reason. :)

Requiring a dsl modem be installed is just weird to me.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
I always wondered. In a volatile area of the wold such as the middle east, if hotels publicly market their security offerings

ex "free wifi, blast doors at every exit, complimentary 1oz pepsi in mini bar" etc

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
I always wondered. In a volatile area of the wold such as the middle east, if hotels publicly market their security offerings

ex "free wifi, blast doors at every exit, complimentary 1oz pepsi in mini bar" etc

You'd probably be suprised how normal life is there.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005

Yeah, most likely SDSL

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
Getting charged for internet seems very normal, especially at the low-end lodgings. Nothing that high-end, however.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Parasitic
Getting charged for internet seems very normal, especially at the low-end lodgings. Nothing that high-end, however.

I have found it to be just the opposite. Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express have free WiFi. Got charged $10/day at a Hilton in Boston and a Marriott in NJ.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
really weird. every major hotel i've been too in israel has had wi-fi. if not free, then very cheap.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
really weird. every major hotel i've been too in israel has had wi-fi. if not free, then very cheap.

They have free wifi in the lobby and public areas, just not in the rooms.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer
I worked at a hotel/resort, no its not normal. They are cheap. Expect a poor quality stay

I have friends that stayed there and I once had a meeting there. It's a nice hotel.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001

Entire drive cross county we had wifi at every hotel, most expensive being $50 at a Ramada. Recently in Orlando and needed internet to check the flight schedule stopped at a Hilton and some other Plaza-something hotel. Both offered wifi (in the parking lot) but you had to buy a block of time. So I drove down the street and leeched 1 min of internet from Buffalo Wild Wings.

So I feel that the higher end the place the more they feel they need to nickle and dime you. I mean if you can afford to stay there...

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: kranky

I have found it to be just the opposite. Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express have free WiFi. Got charged $10/day at a Hilton in Boston and a Marriott in NJ.

yep. Cheaper hotels Ive at such as Ramada, Holiday Inn, and Quality Inn had free wifi and/or wired internet in every room. More expensive places Ive stayed in such as Westin, W, and Hilton only had free internet in lobby area. Internet service in the room cost extra money

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Originally posted by: intogamer
Modem? do they use residential DSL?

Sounds like a cheap hotel

It's a brand name hotel, not some fly by night outfit.

Being you didn't specify...i am thinking brand-name or not, it's a cheap hotel.