Hot tea: You can get 2nd degree burns and blisters if spilled, even thru clothing

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
a friend boiled some water and made tea.
his cat spilled the tea onto his lap.
he had to goto the emergency room.

he said 2nd degree burns + blisters. :eek:
hospital gave him some ointment and told him to change the bandages daily.
he'll recover in 2 weeks.

i guess being lazy and impatient by making tea in the microwave (1min) has more advantages than i'd imagine.

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
I have a quarter sized scar from hot coffee that came out of an old time Thermos brand stainless-steel thermos. This was in the 80's and they cost about $40. I was a good 4-5 hours from home. Burned my skin though heavy wool sweater and heavy flannel shirt. Short answer yes.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I think your friend is doing it wrong, AFAIK the water is only supposed to be heated to just-boiling, and it should cool down in the time it takes the tea to steep.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
In the late 80's I was working at my first job at McDonalds. I was in back doing something in the sink. One of the managers came back to dump a pot full of hot water used for tea. She was talking with someone not paying attention and poured it on my arm. I said a few choice words and said that she poured the water on my arm. She came back as said no I didn't. she was totally oblivious. luckily I didn't need medical attention but it hurt like hell.

Another time someone stuck a spatula in the deep fryer and thought it would be funny to press it against my arm. That hurt even worse but luckily it didn't leave a scar.

P.S. If I was your friend I would get even with the cat. :p

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Oh, sure, the cat gets off scot free?
Well, animal cruelty laws protects the cat, plus it has claws and/or teeth if one wants to duel it extrajudicially. That is, if you can even catch that cat. Plus, it's feline charm will make it sympathetic to outsiders. :D

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I know a guy. Won't cost you a thing.

alf-ate-cats-photo-u1.jpg

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Is there anyone out there who's stupid enough that they don't know this?

It's not like passing through clothing is the same as passing through a chiller...
i was today years old when i found out this was possible

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
At 118 degrees, human skin can sustain first-degree burns; a second-degree burn injury can occur at a temperature of 131 degrees. Human skin is destroyed when temperatures reach 162 degrees.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
At 118 degrees, human skin can sustain first-degree burns; a second-degree burn injury can occur at a temperature of 131 degrees. Human skin is destroyed when temperatures reach 162 degrees.
once again, i am thankful for the microwave and '1 min' button to heat up water for my tea for decades

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't have this problem because I don't leave liquids that hot in a place where a cat could knock it into my lap.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Been there done that, got pour-over - accidentally - at a restaurant when I was....7(?) on my chest, the skin came right off. That next month was fun.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
He needs to sue that McDon---
oh he did it to himself. Liability is all his.

it still amazes me at the amount of mis-information that occurred over this incident...this was not a case of a person trying to sue mcdonald's because their coffee was hot...

Reactions: nakedfrog

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
it still amazes me at the amount of mis-information that occurred over this incident...this was not a case of a person trying to sue mcdonald's because their coffee was hot...

Actually, I did watch LegalEagle's video months before and it is made quite evident that the media spun the story in a manner so the populace would not understand the circumstances and protect McDonalds. Seems like the media was quite effective.

I have been red pilled from the media years ago. No news report contains any educational material to provide background, context, etc, in part because that kind of education would require many more pages than a newspaper or segment can accommodate.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Well, animal cruelty laws protects the cat, plus it has claws and/or teeth if one wants to duel it extrajudicially. That is, if you can even catch that cat. Plus, it's feline charm will make it sympathetic to outsiders. :D

The only relevant question is whether the cat has insurance. Or is just independently wealthy.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Yet I keep my hot water tank set at 140 (freedom) degrees.
my house came with a deep soaking tub.
i set the water heater at 140F for showers so there's never enough hot water to fill it.

so i boil water in a 3gallon pot, carry it up the stairs to the bathroom, and dump it into the tub.
3gal of 212F + whatever temp in the tub = ~105F, which is just perfect for me

Been there done that, got pour-over - accidentally - at a restaurant when I was....7(?) on my chest, the skin came right off. That next month was fun.
oh geez!

sounds like i got lucky all those times in not spilling any of the boiling water carrying it up the stairs.
imagine my feet (in open toe slippers) if the pot slipped out of my hands :eek:

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
my house came with a deep soaking tub.
i set the water heater at 140F for showers so there's never enough hot water to fill it.

so i boil water in a 3gallon pot, carry it up the stairs to the bathroom, and dump it into the tub.
3gal of 212F + whatever temp in the tub = ~105F, which is just perfect for me

oh geez!

sounds like i got lucky all those times in not spilling any of the boiling water carrying it up the stairs.
imagine my feet (in slippers) if the pot slipped out of my hands :eek:
Watch with caution!