HOT??! TDK VELOCD 40x/12x/48x for $30.20after PM/Rebate + tax at CC B&M

lilminwoo

Jul 18, 2002
I went to circuity city to price match the TDK Velocd 40x/12/48x cdrw drive with this COMPUSA ad. I had the price reduced to 89.99 as it should be since COMPUSDA is offering the drive for $99.99 - $10 Instant - $50 Rebate. She didn't give me the extra 10% Low Price Guarantee discount so I let her know. She then took off the 10% ($9.79) bringing the price down to $80.20 before tax. I don't know if she screwed up or I was really suppposed to get that much off but I got the drive for $87.62 with tax along with a $50 Rebate. So ultimately i got the drive for $37.62. Is that HOT or what?? I got the receipt but no scanner =/

dentalboy

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2001
good deal but hey dvdr is thecoming attraction, cdr are dime a dozen now just like cd-rom was a few years back

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
This drive can be upgraded to a 48x write speed with a simple LiteOn firmware update.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: bearauto
Isn't the rebate a compusa rebate?

Good Question.

It's a TDK rebate with a stipulation: "How to get your rebate: 1. Purchase the TDK 40x veloCD between July 21 and July 27, 2002 at CompUSA."

Is there a similar one for CC? Link?

GetReal

Golden Member
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: lilminwoo
I went to circuity city to price match the TDK Velocd 40x/12/48x cdrw drive with this COMPUSA ad. I had the price reduced to 89.99 as it should be since COMPUSDA is offering the drive for $99.99 - $10 Instant - $50 Rebate. She didn't give me the extra 10% Low Price Guarantee discount so I let her know. She then took off the 10% ($9.79) bringing the price down to $80.20 before tax. I don't know if she screwed up or I was really suppposed to get that much off but I got the drive for $87.62 with tax along with a $50 Rebate. So ultimately i got the drive for $37.62. Is that HOT or what?? I got the receipt but no scanner =/

Congrats on your score, but CC's PM policy is not to give you an additional 10% off of the entire price but the difference between their price and the lower advertised price. In this case that would be $1.00 not $9.79 making the total $88.99 before the rebate and local sales tax if any. It appears that you simply got lucky because the CC CSR did not know what she was doing. If she would have done the PM correctly, all she had to do wa enter the lower price and the CC register does the rest incuding the 10% difference.

I tried this PM yesterday when CC opened and was turned down so YMMV. Their reasoning was that CompUSA does not have a printed advertisement or web page that explicitly states there is a $10 instant rebate ijn this drive and the spcecial in-store flyer simply states that the cost is $39.99 after rebate and savings. It does not break the price down any futher for them to compare. The local CompUSA store manager are useless as well a most of theem are clueless to these sales. The CompUSA web page for the product on CompUSA.com lists the price at $99.99 minus a $50 MIR making the CompUSA and CC deals equal. Unless you can find a printout of that breaks down the instant rebate and mail-in rebate components of the price your chances of getting a successfull PM on this product to CC are not very good.

elkinm

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2001
Click on the drive on the Add page and it will take you to the actual product. Then simply click on the price to get detailed pricing. $99- $50 rebate =$49. It also says "Save an additional $10 when purchased in a store". I hope this works and will try it today.

Better yet, here is the link