HOT! Sceptre 42" 1080p lcd at Costco.com 1299+Tax shipped

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
Originally posted by: FreshPrince

how can dell continue to sell their 30" lcd for $1500 when this much larger display sells for $300 less? granted the dell 30" supports a slightly higher resolution but it does not have a built-in HDTV or the number of input connections...

Slighty higher resolution? Try 2x the resoultion:

2560x1600 = 4,096,000 pixels
1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels

No contest :)

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Bullhonkie
sceptre must be coming out with a better tv around the corner for us to see such drastic drop in pricing...

maybe lower than 6ms response time with the ability to display 48-bit color?

how can dell continue to sell their 30" lcd for $1500 when this much larger display sells for $300 less? granted the dell 30" supports a slightly higher resolution but it does not have a built-in HDTV or the number of input connections...

Because this 'slightly higher resolution' is actually nearly twice as many pixels.
1920x1080 = 2073600
2560x1600 = 4096000

The Dell and Apple 30" displays are meant to be used firstly as computer monitors, hence the lack of tuners but the extremely high resolution.

As I understand it, manufacturing the panel for that many pixels displayed with very few defects is harder to do.

Definitely, you get nearly twice the work space with the 30" LCD monitors. Granted I'd much rather have the larger LCD TV/monitors for things such as gaming and general HD content play back, but using it for an up-close all around computer monitor those 30" LCDs are amazing.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
I'd go out and drop the cash on this thing today to use as a pc monitor/xbox360/ps2/dvd player if it weren't for the fact that when I sit in my desk chair I'd be roughly 3 feet from the screen. Unfortunately, my bed is right behind that and up against the wall so I can't move the desk back any further.

Being that close to 42" would make me go blind. Otherwise...this is an awesome deal. Am still waiting to see if that 37" Westinghouse comes back in stock at JR or Crutchfield @ $800-900, but I don't think that's going to happen.

10Gauge

Apr 22, 2005
I am sitting at my desk in front of it as I type this.
I can just touch it at arms length with my middle finger.
It looks fine to me and no eyestrain here.
But I do have to do some head turning to take in all the real-estate.
I am thinking a 37 would be just perfect, as there would be less head turning and a slightly tighter pixel density.

mmx

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I got the display from costco.
First the box looked like a return.... whatever
After installing it the plastic looks cheap, but worst was the quality of the picture which was so horrible.

I'm returning to costco tommorow. Not worth it. Maybe for a monitor, but not for tv or dvd payback.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
mmx, did you hook it up in HDMI mode? Mine looks great. I'm still pondering the 'return for $2000 and re-buy' ethical issue...

mmx

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
yes I tried HDMI, COMPONENT.
both sucks bad.
Myabe mine was a lemon, but with prices coming down, I'll just wait for a brand name

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Craig234
mmx, did you hook it up in HDMI mode? Mine looks great. I'm still pondering the 'return for $2000 and re-buy' ethical issue...

Might want to make that decision soon. Word is the Costco is changing their return policy... possibly just on TV's for the same reason they changed the computer return policy.

cparent

Jun 28, 2005
I'm debating getting this or the Vizio 42".

Does anyone have any input?

The Vizio is 1080i. The sceptre is 1080p. The Vizio has QAM. I dont think the sceptre does. The Vizio doesnt need any extra box. Those are all obvious. so anything other than that, does anyone have any input? if not then it's just (1080i/QAM) vs (1080p)

sceptre - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as...Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&topnav=

Vizio - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as...Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&topnav=

Same price.

timthx

Jul 11, 2006
don't make any mistake, sceptre owner this is the only one!!!!!!!!

PS SCEPTRE HANDS DOWN, you wont regret it 1080p

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Basilisk
"Does it have a QAM Tuner?"... yep, it's hard to find that in Sceptre's product page: they hid it in the fourth bold-face Bullet-Point at the top. http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/Specifications/spec_X42GV-Naga.htm

lol

cparent - I just bought the Vizio (cause I didn't want to pay the shipping + tax and didn't want the external media box - I already have enough "external" junk). The Vizio is a good set for the money, and unless you plan on using as a computer monitor or for a PS3, 720p is just fine. That coupled with the fact that I couldn't rightfully see a Sceptre side-by-side in store and Costco's return policy changing, I went with the clear winner.

BIGFOOTPI

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
costco's shipping was free.. so you can discount that reason for not getting the Sceptre, never mind I doubt even if they do reduce the return policy time on TVs IN THE FUTURE it will probably be only applicable to product purchased after a certain date when the change occurs (like they did with notebooks and PCs), so thats not really a concern yet either, but anyway - enjoy your visio, but sorry to say, $1299 for 1366x768res sounds like a ripoff (that is unless you got it cheaper than the price on the viso link above online that I got that price from..).

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
Originally posted by: cparent
I'm debating getting this or the Vizio 42".

Does anyone have any input?

The Vizio is 1080i. The sceptre is 1080p. The Vizio has QAM. I dont think the sceptre does. The Vizio doesnt need any extra box. Those are all obvious. so anything other than that, does anyone have any input? if not then it's just (1080i/QAM) vs (1080p)

sceptre - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as...Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&topnav=

Vizio - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as...Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&topnav=

Same price.

they are both progressive pictures, just like every other LCD.

and it's not 1080i it's 1366x768. The standard resolution of sub 37" LCD's.

The Sceptre is by far the better deal.

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
those of you with a computer hooked up to this monitor...is you resolution set to 1920x1200 or 1920x1080?

if the second one, which video card did you use? did you have to do some hacking in order for windows to show that resolution or did your video card come with that resolution preset?

thanks

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
those of you with a computer hooked up to this monitor...is you resolution set to 1920x1200 or 1920x1080?

if the second one, which video card did you use? did you have to do some hacking in order for windows to show that resolution or did your video card come with that resolution preset?

thanks

1920x1080

by now all NV and Ati drivers have it as a selection, no hacking required.

Just hook up the monitor, reboot or start the computer and then change the resolution.

I've been using a 7900GT to run 1080P for awhile and it works fine for movies and games.

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Rage187

thanks

1920x1080

Just hook up the monitor, reboot or start the computer and then change the resolution.

I've been using a 7900GT to run 1080P for awhile and it works fine for movies and games.

sweet, thanks.

I have a 9600xt though...it's driving my Dell 24" just fine now but I don't see the 1920x1080 selection...

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Rage187

thanks

1920x1080

sweet, thanks.

I have a 9600xt though...it's driving my Dell 24" just fine now but I don't see the 1920x1080 selection...

usually because the 2405 has a native 16:10 resolution and 1080 is a 16:9 resolution.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: BIGFOOTPI
costco's shipping was free.. so you can discount that reason for not getting the Sceptre, never mind I doubt even if they do reduce the return policy time on TVs IN THE FUTURE it will probably be only applicable to product purchased after a certain date when the change occurs (like they did with notebooks and PCs), so thats not really a concern yet either, but anyway - enjoy your visio, but sorry to say, $1299 for 1366x768res sounds like a ripoff (that is unless you got it cheaper than the price on the viso link above online that I got that price from..).

Eh? Showed $165 shipping for me online two weeks ago when I was shopping for a TV. Looks like today it's free.

And I dare you to find a DECENT 42" LCD cheaper than $1299 (bearing in mind that I did NOT like the picture quality of the Westinghouse that was on sale last week at BestBuy).

Basilisk

Sep 15, 2000
SunnyD: Your tone sounds like you're challenging BF3.1415... or am I miss-reading your post? Or BF's? ...Because, you seem to be in agreement that the Sceptre is a better deal than the Vizio.

I think it unlikely that CostCo had a shipping charge on the Sceptre two weeks ago, as I've been going back and staring at the Costco Sceptre page ridiculously often since November-- not that my missing a momentary change is impossiible! :p

DANG! Wish I could stop craving this Sceptre! [I know: just buy it and my craving will crash to the ground. :) ]

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
SunnyD: Your tone sounds like you're challenging BF3.1415... or am I miss-reading your post? Or BF's? ...Because, you seem to be in agreement that the Sceptre is a better deal than the Vizio.

I think it unlikely that CostCo had a shipping charge on the Sceptre two weeks ago, as I've been going back and staring at the Costco Sceptre page ridiculously often since November-- not that my missing a momentary change is impossiible! :p

DANG! Wish I could stop craving this Sceptre! [I know: just buy it and my craving will crash to the ground. :) ]

Sure, why not. If s/he finds a better panel cheaper, I'll happily go back to Costco with my Vizio. I'm not saying the Sceptre is a bad unit, just sharing my personal reasons why I didn't buy it. And yes, for the price of $1299 without shipping, I would have likely purchased it over the Vizio, however they were charging shipping when I was looking at it, and I wasn't about to purchase it sight unseen after reading AVSForum.

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by: SunnyD

Sure, why not. If s/he finds a better panel cheaper, I'll happily go back to Costco with my Vizio. I'm not saying the Sceptre is a bad unit, just sharing my personal reasons why I didn't buy it. And yes, for the price of $1299 without shipping, I would have likely purchased it over the Vizio, however they were charging shipping when I was looking at it, and I wasn't about to purchase it sight unseen after reading AVSForum.

I like reading avs but sometimes those guys are too picky...

that being said, I've stared at this deal for over a month and I still haven't pulled the trigger yet :p

BIGFOOTPI

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Eh? Showed $165 shipping for me online two weeks ago when I was shopping for a TV. Looks like today it's free.

Perhaps had chosen the wrong shipping method if you got $165 or the checkout cart separated the ship value from the tv price- since I never rang one through personally I couldnt say for sure, but I do know my brother ordered one 3weeks ago for same price with shipping included- but the order got cancelled for some unknown reason, so he re-ordered yesterday once he got his new AMEX blue cash card ....
The shipping has been included in the price for months as I have been checking both 37 and 42 Sceptre units for about 3 months since my brothers 37in HDMI crapped out knowing we'd be returning for a full refund and needing to get another....
ps- as of the last few days the Sceptre 37in 1080p dropped to $999 but now has PLUS shipping and handling.