HOT! Samsung 840 Pro 128Gb, $139.49 - Free Shipping

xbanzai89

Oct 23, 2008
i'd argue it would be

I fail to see how this is a deal with what we have seen over this week for deals. There has been 180GB SSDs for $100 and 256GB ones for $150. Not to mention 120GB for sub $80. The drives are plenty fast and this one in no way warrants spending the extra cash on.

Last edited by a moderator:

KDKPSJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2002
i'd argue it would be

Of course you would since you posted this as a hot deal :p But I must agree with the others, even if 840 Pro is currently a performance king of SSD, 128GB for the price close to other 256GB models (even Samsung's own 830 or 840) wouldn't be a hot deal just yet.

Also, wonder if Samsung figured out why Anand's two 840 Pro failed during his test and implemented what they found out in retail versions.

Last edited:

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
To the posters that are arguing that this is not a hot deal:

This deal is for a Samsung 840 Pro specifically. The other SSDs have nothing to do with this deal.

The deal he posted, and I looked, is the lowest price for the Samsung 840 Pro.
Therefore it is a hot deal because it is the lowest price for this item, for the people that are interested in this drive.

Here are the rules regarding courtesy in Hot Deals
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=323

What about COURTESY?

No thread crapping. If the subject matter of a deal does not interest you, do not post negative comments about it, or about other members, in the thread.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
FWIW, (from B & H) the 128GB 830 ends up at $.70/GB, and the 840 Pro at $1.09/GB for the same capacity. You'll have to check out the benchmarks to decided if the latter drive is worth the extra cost. Still a good price, any way you slice it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
My post wan't meant to question the thread - it's a very legitimate hot deal thread for the item he posted, and I appreciate him posting it.

My comment is about the value of this 840 at this price versus alternate choices, just meant to help discuss the choices, not criticize the OP, he doesn't deserve any.

I notice a poster mentioned '840 pro' compared to 840, I have no idea what the difference it.

It's a good question to discuss whether the 840 is worth the extra cost compared to the 830 - without it meaning anything bad about the thread, which is a nice thread.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
I notice a poster mentioned '840 pro' compared to 840, I have no idea what the difference it.

It's a good question to discuss whether the 840 is worth the extra cost compared to the 830 - without it meaning anything bad about the thread, which is a nice thread.

I know this is beginning to spill over into Memory and Storage, but here's a pretty in-depth review that can give buyers some info as to whether Samsung has offered us a product worth the extra $$: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...om/reviews/840-pro-ssd-toggle-mode-2,3302.htm. Note that the $/GB numbers in it don't reflect today's prices.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000

I know this is beginning to spill over into Memory and Storage, but here's a pretty in-depth review that can give buyers some info as to whether Samsung has offered us a product worth the extra $$: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...om/reviews/840-pro-ssd-toggle-mode-2,3302.htm. Note that the $/GB numbers in it don't reflect today's prices.

jhansman is correct. Much of the discussion, when talking about other SSDs starts to spill over into Memory and Storage territory. And I am talking about comparing this drive to other drives that may be cheaper alternatives. That's not what Hot Deals forum is for.

It's perfectly normal however to may ask the question here in this thread:
"Is this as good a drive as the 830?" or "What's the difference between the 840 and the 840 Pro"

It's not allowed to say that this drive isn't worth the money, especially when the posted price is the lowest and that this is a brand-new product.

Look at the prices for brand new video cards. They may be 500.00 but if that's the lowest price, it's a hot deal. To claim there are cheaper alternatives is not relevant to the topic.

rofael

Nov 25, 2012
i heard samsung is a good company for SSD's.. how do they compare to OCZ vertex?

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
i heard samsung is a good company for SSD's.. how do they compare to OCZ vertex?

For the longest time, Samsung held reliability while OCZ's Vertex 4 was the performance king. The 840 Pro changed that, hence the huge price premium.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
FWIW, I am seriously tempted by this deal, but I was hoping that my next SSD would be a 512GB 840 Pro Black Friday steal, and I could relegate my 256GB 830 to second string status. Didn't happen, and likely won't on Monday either. Sigh...

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
Well, part of the problem with that wish is that the 512gb shows as releasing 11/28 on newegg's site... ;)

bankster55

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2010
I believe the Samsungs are the most reliable of drives - even over Intel
Samsung makes everything - the flash, the PCB, the controller, the case - everything
I am willing to give them slack over whatever issues AT had with it - birth pains of the Pro.
"Limited 5 yr warranty"

Still waiting for coupla reasonable priced 240GB

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I still don't know the difference the pro has, but amazon has the 840 normal in 128/256/512 for $100/170/380 in a lightning deal.

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
I may be unique but I only put about 50 - 60GB worth of crap on my C: drive, between the OS, some games, photography tools, and so on. I'd like some overhead so I'd say 90GB is about the minimum drive size I'd want there. 128GB give or take is fine too. 256GB however, for me, is a waste of money.

Storage drives for me are all about GB / $ ratio. Main drives however are all about speed. When it comes to SSD's (again for me), a faster 128 at the same price as a slower 256, even marginally faster, makes the 128 better.

Looks like Newegg has it for the same price (50 cents more) but with Assassin's Creed 3.

Yep, which makes this a great deal IMO, enough that I bought one for myself. It's been an SSD weekend as I also got a 840 non pro in the 256GB flavor for my parents PC (they don't store on a separate drive).