HOT: Hanns G 28" TN LCD 289 shipped w promo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

XJustMeX21

Golden Member
Nov 26, 2005
Just got mine in and I must say it's the pefect size. So far a great looking monitor and I would reccomend it to anyone.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I know this is an old thread, but they've got it on sale for $299 with free shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824254043

I got one for an Engineer at work and WOW is it big! The color is really excellent, too - we're running it on VGA (until our DisplayPort to HDMI cable comes in) and it looks REALLY good. I was definitely not expecting a monitor as good as it is, as large as it is, for the price that it is. I'll have to do some more testing, but it holds up pretty well against the 24" Dell 2408wfp's we use a work. Much brighter. I'm anxious to see it on a fully digital cable. The size is just amazing - and having 1920x1200 at 28" makes is so, so readable. No tiny itty bitty print. I will definitely be ordering more of these in the future.

alrocky

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2001
Looks like the same HannsG available on Costco.com for the same price. Perhaps at B&M. I've an older version of same purchased Aug '08 at local Costco.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just got this Dynex 37" 1080p TV for $432 taxes in. How does it compare to this? Should I keep it?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26...7%22&amp;cp=1&amp;lp=5

First, this thread is about a computer monitor, not a TV so comparisons are irrelevent. You'll get more relevent answers if you post your question in our Audio/Video & Home Theater forum. :)

Second, the TV at your link is an entry level 37" set with 60 Hz refresh. I haven't seen the set or its specs so can't comment, but the contrast ratio is only 4000:1 (native) and 8000:1 (dynamic), which isn't that high for current sets.

60 Hz sets are at the end of their production life so manufacturers will be blowing them out. For the same or just a little more money, I think you could find a better deal on a better brand (Samsung, LG, etc.) of set at that size (or larger) with a 120 Hz refresh rate.

In evaluating sets, you also want to consider the manufacturer's reputation for reliability and service and the reliability of each model. It requires doing your homework, but in the end, it's worth the effort.

The good news is, you have at least a little time to return or exchange your set at Best Buy, which I believe has become way overpriced on almost everything, including their "specials," since they no longer have Circuit City as direct competition. :hmm:

Last edited:

Renegade_09

May 22, 2010
Oh sorry I didn't realize the Hanns G was a 120hz monitor. I didn't know they made those yet for a reasonable price.

I have checked other manufacturers like Samsung, LG, and Sony. They start at $600+taxes here in Canada. That's almost double the price I'm paying for the Dynex I got. I could step down to the 32" 720p sets but I use this as a monitor and for gaming on my PS3 and I think the 1080p makes a big difference since I'm sitting pretty close to it. Also I did grab a 4-yr warranty just case.
I still have a week before I have to return it. Don't really know if I want to downgrade to a 32" and 720p set when I have a 37" 1080p set right now. There's no question that the high tier brands display a better picture, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to pay more for a smaller size and less resolution.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Oh sorry I didn't realize the Hanns G was a 120hz monitor. I didn't know they made those yet for a reasonable price.

The Hanns·G isn't a 120 Hz monitory. It's maximum refresh rate is 75 Hz, but your first post was comparing that monitor to a TV set, and you didn't say anything about gaming. That's why I referred you to the Audio/Video & Home Theater forum.

You can use various TV sets as computer monitors, but I think you'd want better than a 60 Hz refresh rate for your purpose.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
290 is standard price imo.. also with the high rate of death id say go with something diff.. dont buy the doublesight 27" tho i want to buy it.

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
I just picked up the HannsG for $299 from the egg, and i have to say the thing is pretty fantastic. I'm in love with it.

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001
These are nice monitors for the price but the reviews are correct in that they have a high failure rate of <2 years of use. I bought one brand new in Nov '08 (the model that preceded this one but same panel). It performed flawlessly for almost a year then began having intermitting problems (clicking noises, image suddenly dimming then going back to full brightness etc). The problems got more frequent and it finally died completely about 2 weeks ago. It still powers on but it only gives a whitish screen with pink and yellow lines.

When they work, it's a decent TN screen and you cannot beat the size for the $ or the 1920x1200 resolution (16:10). I just wish SOMEONE else made a monitor this size & resolution that was a bit higher quality. I'd gladly pay a few bucks more for a brand with better QC.

I'm pretty sure I got this same model monitor at Costco last X-mas for $264 with tax and shipped. It arrived in new condition but the panel was all jacked up with 1/2 black screen and vertical pink and green lines on the other half. I returned it and didn't get another.