Hot: Altec Lansing ADA880 Speakers -- $23.47 shipped!

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jcballer1

Nov 16, 2000
i got a shipping confirmation number when i called and spoke to a CSR, but this number still doesnt show up on the tracking page. it was given to me two days ago, so the systems should have updated by now..... feels mad suspect to me

gil11542

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 2000
MINE got cancelled too, I have seen these for under 100.00 bucks but if DELL want 229.00 for them they are crazy.

Unsickle

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000
I'm in search of the 10% coupon that Dell sent you guys for the cancellation. PM me. I have Amazon GC's.

JJordan

Golden Member
Dec 27, 1999
The 10 % code CANNOT be combined with the other Small Business Discounts (i.e., 15 % off Dell Branded). I tried my code and it removed the 15 % to give me 10 %. :|

azdevil

May 5, 2001
We all got Scrooged

the original poster should make his title reflect the HATE for Dell that is going on here, plus we can e-mail the customer service department the thread. I wonder how many thousands of dollars are generated in sales through this site. Even if they are all sales that occur at cost or a loss. Pluss the negative word of mouth amplifies the effect. Studies show that you will tell one person about a good experience and eight about a bad. This should work out to about 800 negative Dell thoughts!

Oh Yeah Happy Holiday
Check out the forum below, especially if you got in on that XP Pro deal 2 months ago!!!

azdevil

May 5, 2001

<< I'm tired of all these sites posting fanatic deals only to pull them later. ATTENTION COMPANIES: Take note from Microsoft... If you price a 'Channel Excitement Kit' at $52.50 including your latest product and fill the orders, you'll have long-time happy customers. On the other hand, if you price speakers at $23.47 and don't ship, you'll have pi$$ed off enemies, LOL >>

Even Microsoft came through when they got bent over and screwed. They were not planning on having over ten thousand people sign up for a copy of xp pro and extras for 50 bucks, uhh are they insane, yes, and we all have "retail" full versions of xp pro. Sorry for those who missed it.
Check out da forums, your chance to help develop one the way you like.

IamApoorman

Aug 5, 2001
according to the CNet article, some of orders should be fullfilled.

but, has anyone here actually received the speakers yet??

I guess if they filled whatever orders they could with what they had in stock, that is fair enough, at least to me, though I would love to get those speakers.

uniklife

Dec 18, 2001
I know many are so pissed at this whole situation, and for those persons that can tactfully comprehend sales & marketing guidelines should forward their complaints to the BBB ( the FTC=Federal Trade Commission would have the guidelines ). One has to understand that this situation is of high prioity at Dell, and its not recommended to vent your dissatisfaction without knowledge about marketing so that your complaint would be very ligitimate....this is a situation about REFURBISHED speakers - not new. I know its quite possible to mark this at a low price , and also a customer service issues...when you ordered the speakers were they on a in stock basis, how many were told to reorder the 885's at the price of 200+$... " were you told it was pricing ", and ( quote from CS = no one was given the speakers ) if so why have they shipped to those few?........you know its not a matter of complaining that you didnt get them, I could care less if I did or didn't there just speakers and my life is happy without them, cant trip on em.. .........what I do care about is the way it was handled and the frigin ways the mangement decieved the customer.......believe me- you all think that only (you ) read these posts.......well be surprised to know that there probably are Dell associates that have viewed and or replied to this tread (FYI ) and so many are wondering what to do......either flow with life as though you nevered delt with this situation and be happy or make a formal legal complaint utilizing all the proper tools, the choice is yours ..........good luck and you all HAVE A VERY GOOD CHRISTMAS

Peace :cool:

Whitneymuse

Mar 18, 2001
uniklife's response is on point; the 10% discount, given the unstackable nature of it, the free shipping that was offered during the abortive ADA880 "non-offer", the switching to the ADA885s that the CSR attempted to upsell you on, the excess of a week that it took DELL to change expectations of receiving these speakers all encourage me to, at the very least, take the time to register a complaint with the BBB and forward a complaint to my state's Attorney General.

Remember, this is a $36 billion/year corporation that touts itself on being the leader in eCommerce and even sells its eCommerce know-how to other businesses. Their reputation for this has been chronicled in places like Forbes and Fortune; for DELL to have reduced their customer service response to the letter of cancellation and the illusory 10% discount that will expire on January 4th is a sad commentary on where the DELL leadership has sunk.

Unless everyone who has been affected by this makes an effort to move this issue forward to a body that can actually effect some inquiry into this, we can expect the perpetuation of this attitude by DELL in dealing with the small individual customer. Make the time.

zervun

Aug 8, 2001
Well for me this was a extreme dissapointment. This present was for a loved one. They basically ruined a part of christmas for me.
This is the third time in under 2 months that I have been scrooged by a online retailer. First was googlegear, next was buyeee.com and last was dell. I only ordered one of these it wasn't like I was trying to make money for myself or oust others from the deal. The response from them was also extremely late and now I have to rush out to find a emergency present.

I'm sick of online dealers screwing us. I'm not trying to sneak around and exploit the system. I also bought the 4 port
router/switch for 47.99 which is a good deal but it is definately not an exploit.

I want to file a class action lawsuit on this and need some help. I don't know the process but I really am sick of this. Online retailers can get away with stuff that B&M stores can't. If they make an error like this they need to just fess up and ship us something of compareable quality. If you have any information on class action lawsuits please email me at zervun@hotmail.com. I am not looking to make money off this but just to get an item or similar item that I ordered.

Thanks

Rphman

Dec 17, 1999
mothresin you are right about not bashing our fellow Anand forum members (see below) so I'm replacing my reply with:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!!:)

Whitneymuse

Mar 18, 2001
Rphman, you dufus, take some of your own advice and don't come back here with your tail waggin' to see what the others are doing...move on, like you said. You make me laugh. We're obviously going to do something different. So, go away and follow your own advice.

mothresin

Nov 25, 2000
all right...

against my better judgement i replied the first time, so 'what the hell' - why not again? :D

fishbonez:

you're right, i apologize...instead of trying to cause a "theology/bashing thread" - maybe
next time i'll be "bright" enough to antagonize you just enough to make you look like MORE
of an arse.

to the rest of the complainer haters:

here i agree with fishbonez, in regard to this statement: "prime example of the pond scum of these forums"
we have all these people here that tried to score in on an outstanding speaker deal, and are now (some)
pissed/dissappointed that they didn't receive the speakers - better yet, pissed/dissappointed w/the way
DELL handled the whole thing (me). so they come back to this thread to vent some of that anger/dissappointment
(probably time to move this to 'brag and moan'), which seems logical because everyone else here is in the same boat.
(here is where the statement kicks in ;))
my point? at least most of us are complaining about dell, AND NOT OUR FELLOW FORUM MEMBERS!!!
if i had one complaint about these forums, it would be people like you (read the statement) - because you attack
and belittle fellow members and deal hunters...wtf?! why do you feel the need to lash out against us? THAT is
what brings down this forum, NOT people discussing the deals they did or did not get!

all right, i'm done... :)

later
mothresin

Zwingle

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
Strawberrymom - until Dell ships the order....they have every right to cancel the order. Their websites does state the following:

<<
Payment Terms; Orders; Quotes; Interest. Terms of payment are within Dell's sole discretion, and unless otherwise agreed to by Dell, payment must be received by Dell prior to Dell's acceptance of an order. Payment for the products and services and support may be made by credit card, wire transfer, or some other prearranged payment method unless Dell has agreed to credit terms. Invoices are due and payable within the time period noted on the reverse side of this invoice, measured from the date of the invoice. Dell may invoice parts of an order separately. Orders are not binding upon Dell until accepted by Dell. Any quotations given by Dell will be valid for the period stated on the quotation. Customer agrees to pay interest on all past-due sums at the highest rate allowed by law.
>>

Who knows when they actually accepted......the acknowledgement or the Confirmation email?, or when they actually charge you....which is not until the item is shipped. Which is standard.....websites have been found clear in the past for typo on prices in the past. Bait and switch does not apply here.....

chrisjor

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2001
:| When I got my cancellation I thought oh well, no big deal. I went ahead and ordered the ultimate gaming bundle to get the z560's. When I ordered they indicated that there was stock. Guess What? They do not have sufficient stock to ship my order when they "estimated". What the Hell!!! Now I have to wait indefinitely until they get stock on this order. How the hell can anyone run a business like this? I seriously cannot believe that this is a legitimate business. I have had better luck with one page, non-english websites than this so called "ebusiness leader". After/if I receive this order I do not think I can order from this amateurish operation again.

By the way, my employer has contracts with Dell, the optiplex desktop I was given is a piece of cr@p!!! Do not ever order one!!!!:p

I was not allowed to use the 10% off coupon from the 880 fiasco!

GoGators

Jan 7, 2001
Got a cancellation notice as well, with a 10% coupon code. Hopefully they'll have a good after holidays sale.

Bagger

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000
I had a rather odd experience this morning. I got a call from a guy named Michael from Dell (First illogical thought: "Is it the CEO calling me?" lol). Alas, he was just a regular CSR, and he was calling me to let me know they were having trouble filling my order, and that they were giong to have to delay the ship date till January 11. He apologized for it and said he hoped they might be able to get it shipped out before then. I didn't even ask what order he was talking about because I knew I only had one unfulfilled order and I figured if I ask too many questions I might trigger an alarm or something :) The confusion continues.