HOT: 650GB EIDE HDD $109.99 plus shipping

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Got a tracking number today. It's in Ohio, so hopefully I should get it Monday or Tuesday. I'm interested to see what it is. ;)

maximusfarticus

Jul 7, 2004
Just got mine today. I have yet to plug it in, but the label lists it as a 650 GB, 7200.10. I get my enclosure tomorrow. I'll try to answer any question you all have.

skillyho

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: maximusfarticus
Just got mine today. I have yet to plug it in, but the label lists it as a 650 GB, 7200.10. I get my enclosure tomorrow. I'll try to answer any question you all have.

Hook it up in your case already!!!! I'm teetering on the edge here to purchase yet another hard drive I don't need.

ramamoorthy

Nov 19, 2006
Originally posted by: Rio Rebel
I bought a Galaxy external enclosure (plays iso files as dvds, as well as most audio formats). I need the pata version. This was a perfect find for me.

Where did you buy this and how much you pay for it? I do have the MG-35 media player that up-converts to 1080i, plays good and would like to go for one more.
Thanks

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Just got mine as well. I'm getting ready to hook it up. :)

Update -

Formatted size comes out as 649,975,595,008 bytes . . . 605GB.

Running in my WHS box now. :)

Sweeeet.

The Master

Feb 4, 2000
Anyone check the warranty status at seagate.. cause I've never heard of a Boxed/Retail 5 year warranty from seagate? (cept there usb's)

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: The Master
Anyone check the warranty status at seagate.. cause I've never heard of a Boxed/Retail 5 year warranty from seagate?

Huh? What warranty did you expect Seagate to put on their retail boxed drives?

xomp

Nov 12, 2005
it's always good to check, my friend got a couple drives a while ago that had 3 year warranty on them.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
I bought a Galaxy external enclosure (plays iso files as dvds, as well as most audio formats). I need the pata version. This was a perfect find for me.

perfect combo for this deal :thumbsup:

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
4x166gb platters? Is something wrong with this assertion or was it really that hard to guess?

maximusfarticus

Jul 7, 2004
I got it up and running. I'm using a metal gear case. It's a bit loud, but runs cool. 605 GB confirmed. Came Fat32. About what you'd expect.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
I got it up and running. I'm using a metal gear case. It's a bit loud, but runs cool. 605 GB confirmed. Came Fat32. About what you'd expect.

So it came as Fat32 and then you formatted in NTFS??

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm doing the same thing tonight. I was surprised it already came formatted.

Looking forward to over 600 gig of media files, and a ton of freed up space on the computer!

gba

Apr 1, 2002
I'm doing the same thing tonight. I was surprised it already came formatted.

Yeah, me too.. further evidence that it may have been originally produced for an external drive. It is built like a tank.. what a great deal.. I like paying around $.17/GB without rebates :))

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Corporate Thug
wow, i didnt even know a 650gb was produced.

I could be a Typo. If not, then it is firmware limited. Hitachi's 7K250 came in a 200GB variety and had the same platters as the 250GB version but the firmware limited the CHS capacity to 200GB. I suspect, if it's not a typo then this is what must be happening; A 750GB drive limited to 650GB with the slower inner part of the drive not being used.

gba

Apr 1, 2002
Originally posted by: PhoenixOrion
riorebel and gba, how's the noise on these SG 650GB?

I have only formatted it then put it away until its enclosure arrives.. I will let you know what I think once I have formed an opinion.. that said, I did not think it seemed overly loud.. but am not super sensitive to hard drive noise.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: gba
Originally posted by: PhoenixOrion
riorebel and gba, how's the noise on these SG 650GB?

I have only formatted it then put it away until its enclosure arrives.. I will let you know what I think once I have formed an opinion.. that said, I did not think it seemed overly loud.. but am not super sensitive to hard drive noise.

HDDs in general are not very noisy, I barely notice my two WD Raptors.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm in a similar position with gba...I didn't find it overly loud, but I did hear it. However, mine was in an external enclosure about 3 feet from my ear, so I wouldn't use that as an indicator. Put it this way - I'd be surprised if you found it to be a noisy drive, unless you are extremely sensitive to things like that.

And to confirm - it is 605gb of space after formatting. That seemed high to me, but I never can remember the math of how space gets "lost" from their stated size.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: superHARD
So, what firmware would you put on this to unlock the extra HD space?

Seatools DOS version can reset the drive size on seagate drives. Once upon a time, there were some IBM drives (if I recall correctly) that were unlocked in size by simply changing their drive size.

Could some brave soul try this out and report back the results?

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
Originally posted by: superHARD
So, what firmware would you put on this to unlock the extra HD space?

Seatools DOS version can reset the drive size on seagate drives. Once upon a time, there were some IBM drives (if I recall correctly) that were unlocked in size by simply changing their drive size.

Could some brave soul try this out and report back the results?

Yes please. Except I don't think you need to "brave", no way it will mess up the drive unless you try flashing it with different firmware, SeaTools will not kill it