Hostages taken at Discovery Channel [Update with picture of gunman]

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
boom_headshot.jpg

/to soon?

I have to say that what the snipers did was pretty bad ass. Generally this sort of crap doesn't end well but this was a really nice ending to a fucked up situation. They should feel really fucking proud right now. :D

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Tell me about it. That's some fucked up shit to find out as you sit down to diner after a hard day at work.

What's even more fucked up is what might have happened to me at one of the philo group meetings! Shit man.... I restored his arguments quite a few times! I am so fucking glad I was always polite with him even when he was pushing my buttons.

Then I start thinking about how we had been able to get him to calm down almost every time. The leader of the group is a really nice guy and we made every effort to include "lee" in the weekly topic even though some of his comments were somewhat disturbing.

Your next Meeting is gonna be awkward. In a way you now have a unique insight to these things. Every time someone goes off the deep end there are always the People left behind who kinda felt something was wrong, but had no expectations of what they'd ultimately do. The Cabbie slasher from a week or so ago was another such case, for eg. Not that every Eccentric is going to commit such an act, but they certainly seem more likely too.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
in that article, it said he was laid off from a company in san diego. I wonder what company he worked for in SD.

The last time I saw him at a meeting he was dressed up like a janitor - think UPS-colored full body suit. He seemed pretty normal sometimes though. That time he got there before everyone else and was feeding the squirrels.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Wait, why aren't we asking the important "What would the Russians have done?"

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Your next Meeting is gonna be awkward. In a way you now have a unique insight to these things. Every time someone goes off the deep end there are always the People left behind who kinda felt something was wrong, but had no expectations of what they'd ultimately do. The Cabbie slasher from a week or so ago was another such case, for eg. Not that every Eccentric is going to commit such an act, but they certainly seem more likely too.

http://www.meetup.com/socratescafe1...9450076/post/36803773/?hash=36803773#36803773

He was NOT happy that the latest meetings had been cancelled. :( And we were all so glad that the organizer had finally gotten a job:)

I hope this doesn't hurt our group too much. We have some amazing discussions and were always nice to Lee and always gave him a turn to speak just like everyone else. We treated him with respect and it seemed like he liked joining us there:( We kind of enjoyed his rants as well as they were REALLY hard to incorporate into the discussion.

Lee: "Typical Rant..."
Group: *awkward silence*
Alex: "Okay.....so...."

Last edited:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
http://www.meetup.com/socratescafe1...9450076/post/36803773/?hash=36803773#36803773

He was NOT happy that the latest meetings had been cancelled. :( And we were all so glad that the organizer had finally gotten a job:)

I hope this doesn't hurt our group too much. We have some amazing discussions and were always nice to Lee and always gave him a turn to speak just like everyone else. We treated him with respect and it seemed like he liked joining us there:( We kind of enjoyed his rants as well as they were REALLY hard to incorporate into the discussion.

Lee: "Typical Rant..."
Group: *awkward silence*
Alex: "Okay.....so...."

Sounds like an interesting Group, other than the awkward Rants anyway. I gotta say though, that I'd probably agree with Lee on his comment in your Link. Sounds like he may have been, at least at some level, quite insightful.

Sometimes People Over Think Issues and begin thinking and Believing that possible scenarios are actual scenarios. Take almost any hair brained criticism of Obama for eg. Someone Intelligent probably fashioned each one. Some purely for a Nefarious purpose, Others possibly by connecting existing Dots with some Imagined Dots.

Either way, shits messed up.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Wait, why aren't we asking the important "What would the Russians have done?"

They wouldn't have negotiated, if they had a shot they would have brought him down.

Sounds like the cops did the right thing though, they got a sniper in position and negotiated as long as he didn't have a weapon pointed at a hostage. As soon as he pointed the gun at one of them they brought him down.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Sounds like an interesting Group.....

If we treat crazies that drop by with respect and let them speak in turn, you'll be treated like a king!

Sounds like an interesting Group, other than the awkward Rants anyway. I gotta say though, that I'd probably agree with Lee on his comment in your Link. Sounds like he may have been, at least at some level, quite insightful.

Sometimes People Over Think Issues and begin thinking and Believing that possible scenarios are actual scenarios. Take almost any hair brained criticism of Obama for eg. Someone Intelligent probably fashioned each one. Some purely for a Nefarious purpose, Others possibly by connecting existing Dots with some Imagined Dots.

Obviously the guy just GUNNED DOWN BY SNIPERS AFTER HOLDING HOSTAGES FOR MANY HOURS so its does fuck with my perception of him.

I am not sure if he was very perceptive or if the extremes he managed to spout sometimes ended up seeming very wise. I seem to remember times when he would talk about how humans should die because we were killing the earth etc. Every argument he made incorporated very extreme viewpoints that seemed very anti-human. In retrospect, while that can be considered a valued viewpoint, his points seem like less and less of a mental exercise or an extremely 3rd-party viewpoint and more like raw emotion.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Obviously the guy just GUNNED DOWN BY SNIPERS AFTER HOLDING HOSTAGES FOR MANY HOURS so its does fuck with my perception of him.

I am not sure if he was very perceptive or if the extremes he managed to spout sometimes ended up seeming very wise. I seem to remember times when he would talk about how humans should die because we were killing the earth etc. Every argument he made incorporated very extreme viewpoints that seemed very anti-human. In retrospect, while that can be considered a valued viewpoint, his points seem like less and less of a mental exercise or an extremely 3rd-party viewpoint and more like raw emotion.

Ya, that's rather crazy. lol.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
One of the reporters mentioned that he had a blog or website or something. Link?

I thought I knew the guy but it might be interesting to learn more about him. Or maybe not:(

Sometimes I got the impression that he was just fucking with us since he new that we would have to try to discuss his viewpoints just like everyone else's

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
One of the reporters mentioned that he had a blog or website or something. Link?

I thought I knew the guy but it might be interesting to learn more about him. Or maybe not:(

Sometimes I got the impression that he was just fucking with us since he new that we would have to try to discuss his viewpoints just like everyone else's

Yes, he posted his "manifesto" on his blog. The link is somewhere in this thread as I was reading it earlier, but I just don't have the gumpshin to search 17 OT pages to find it again.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
FYI here is the post I posted on the message board about Lee. I really hope the group can discuss this event as well during its next meeting.

"http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/01/maryland.discovery.channel/index.html

It appears that this was group member "Lee."

While his statements were generally quite extreme and absolute in nature, I never expected this from him. Needless to say I was quite shocked when I saw his picture plastered all over the news.

I don't care to say anything bad and won't. I am quite proud of the group in that we treated him with respect and provided him every courtesy, allowing him to contribute to the discussion. Lee had been with us for a while and had become the essential "other view point" of almost every discussion, and perhaps todays events might provide insight as to why.

While there might be the desire to close our minds and our hearts, I advise us to keep them open now more than ever. Good philosophical discussion is hard to find and Alex does a wonderful job of providing us with this venue to think and discuss the world, and the world within, in a safe environment from, and for, everyone.

-David"

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007

Every now and then a crazy person will get one right, that doesn't mean they're fucking crazy. Honestly his post isn't super insightful as in it doesn't really say anything other than state a fact about human societal evolution. No solution was given and as much as I love Bender, kill all humans isn't a real solution.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
FYI here is the post I posted on the message board about Lee. I really hope the group can discuss this event as well during its next meeting.

"http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/01/maryland.discovery.channel/index.html

It appears that this was group member "Lee."

While his statements were generally quite extreme and absolute in nature, I never expected this from him. Needless to say I was quite shocked when I saw his picture plastered all over the news.

I don't care to say anything bad and won't. I am quite proud of the group in that we treated him with respect and provided him every courtesy, allowing him to contribute to the discussion. Lee had been with us for a while and had become the essential "other view point" of almost every discussion, and perhaps todays events might provide insight as to why.

While there might be the desire to close our minds and our hearts, I advise us to keep them open now more than ever. Good philosophical discussion is hard to find and Alex does a wonderful job of providing us with this venue to think and discuss the world, and the world within, in a safe environment from, and for, everyone.

-David"

Is the post public? It sounds like you have a really interesting group there and I hope that you guys don't get swept up into the sudden interest crawl that will follow this incident.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
What's even more fucked up is what might have happened to me at one of the philo group meetings! Shit man.... I restored his arguments quite a few times! I am so fucking glad I was always polite with him even when he was pushing my buttons.

I just wanted to clarify that I meant to say that I RETORTED his arguments (which is sadly pretty pathetic English anyways)

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Is the post public? It sounds like you have a really interesting group there and I hope that you guys don't get swept up into the sudden interest crawl that will follow this incident.

http://www.meetup.com/socratescafe1/messages/boards/thread/9670375/0/#37462310

I tried it in another browser where I wasn't logged in and it appears to be public (I don't use the site too much)

FYI here is a summary of everything I wrote since it was pretty broken up: http://www.dimepues.com/2010/09/02/reality-strikes/

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2005
Good thing pcslookout isn't the one trying to save the hostage.

If a pidgeon flew by during the rescue, he'd drop everything to protect that bird from getting shot or something.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
http://www.meetup.com/socratescafe1/messages/boards/thread/9670375/0/#37462310

I tried it in another browser where I wasn't logged in and it appears to be public (I don't use the site too much)

FYI here is a summary of everything I wrote since it was pretty broken up: http://www.dimepues.com/2010/09/02/reality-strikes/

What I mean is, everybody is going to be looking around on the internets about this guy (we've seen it before here) and now they may be able to pull up your group because of it. Don't know if I would want the resulting attention.