Hostages taken at Discovery Channel [Update with picture of gunman]

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
[Updated at 1:52 p.m.] A SWAT team and additional resources are responding, said Montgomery County police Cpl. Dan Friz. Authorities were trying to get in touch with the man believed to have taken a hostage.

It appears the man has some kind of explosive device on his person, Friz said. Fire marshals with explosives experience were assisting.

[Updated at 1:44 p.m.] The Discovery Channel sent an e-mail to all employees in the building at 1:21 p.m. telling them they "have reason to believe there is an armed gunman at One Discovery Place."

iReport: Are you there? Send photos, video

WJLA: Discovery headquarters evacuated

[Updated at 1:39 p.m.] At least one hostage is confirmed at the headquarters of the Discovery Channel in Silver Spring, Maryland, police said.

[Posted at 1:34 p.m.] A police emergency response team was responding to reports of a man with a gun and possible explosives at the headquarters of the Discovery Channel in Silver Spring, Maryland, a police spokeswoman said.

Montgomery County police received the call at about 1 p.m., said Angela Cruz. The call came from One Discovery Place, the channel's headquarters.

The area has been evacuated, Cruz said. No further information was immediately available.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/0...man-at-discovery-channel-headquarters/?hpt=T2

Last edited:

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
are they sure it's not just filming for one of their hackneyed and overdone documentaries?

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
It's crazy, I can see it from here (1 block from the Discovery building). At one point, people were hauling ass out of the building but now it looks like everyone's out.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
well it looks like some viewer has taken their dissatisfaction with Discovery Channel's precipitous decline in quality a wee bit too far.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
iReport: Are you there? Send photos, video

Thank you for caring about my safety first and foremost because getting the fuck out should not be my top priority when a gunman with explosives walk into my building... taking pictures and video for you is. :p

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
better raise the alert level to orange
gas prices going up too!
crazy.gif

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
are they sure it's not just filming for one of their hackneyed and overdone documentaries?

A friend IMed the story to me with the comment: "The guy probably saw their fall schedule." I laughed since Discovery sucks.

EDIT: Zin beat me to it.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Bear Grylls will handle this.

He'll kill him, gut him, eat him, and use his skin for shelter.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Ugh, what's with thread starters these days If you have new information, post it in the OP! Good grief.

KT

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Bear Grylls will handle this.

He'll kill him, gut him, eat him, and use his skin for shelter.

You mean his camera and support crew will do it all for him while he spews some god awful dialog and then take credit for doing it all?