Host Init: Couldnt load gfx/palette.Imp

TheMinger

Jul 23, 2000
Hello,

I have a question regarding an error I get while running a game (counterstrike). I have reformatted my entire drive several times, but every time I run the game, I get an error in a window saying "Host Init: Couldnt load gfx/palette.Imp." Is this referring to my video card? I was always able to run the game on my computer before, but now it wont run, even after I've reformatted. Please Help, Thank you.

:disgust:

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's palette.Lmp ;)

First get this file: http://www.tweak3d.net/files/Pak2.pak

Now get this file: http://pages.eidosnet.co.uk/~noghri/dl/pakxp.zip

Open the pakxp.zip file and extract the PakExpl.exe file somewhere.

Double-click the PakExpl.exe that you extracted and click "OK" on the screen that comes up, next go to the "File" menu and select "Open Pak"
then locate the Pak2.pak file you downloaded before and open it.

Double-click on the gfx folder that appears, and then right-click on the "palette.lmp" file and select "Extract".

Now goto Find/Search on your "Start" menu and search for "palette.lmp", right-click it and select "Cut" then goto the ...\Half-Life\cstrike\gfx folder and "Paste" the file there.

This should solve that particular error.

TheMinger

Jul 23, 2000
Originally posted by: John
This should solve that particular error.

I did everything that you said, and initially I got another error saying I was missing some file. So I grabbed that file from my roommates computer and stuck it in there. When I started CS again, I get the same exact original error: "host init: couldnt load gfx/palette.Lmp"

The file is in the specified /gfx directory now (it wasnt before I did what you suggested) but I still get the error. What else do you think I have to do?

TheMinger

Jul 23, 2000
Do you have any more suggestions John? Or does anyone else out there have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it. THANKS!