Question Horrible internet connection

zasgard

Sep 18, 2007
My work PC is downstairs in the basement and my internet connection is slow. I've run a couple internet connection speed tests and both say my internet is solid. Our CenturyLink router is upstairs and we have a solid connection with any devices that we use while upstairs.

My PC is around 3 years old and I was thinking of getting some sort of USB internet wifi adapter, but have no idea what I should be looking for. Anyone care to share a link or two of what I should consider?

Thanks

zasgard

Sep 18, 2007
The PC in the basement is connected wirelessly to the modem/router. I thought maybe it was an issue of a weak signal but my laptop (which is downstairs) has no issue. It's definitely my PC.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've had good luck with the Comfast AC Wifi + BT USB dongles, the ones with the "posable" discrete antenna (sadly, not detachable). Those are 1x1 AC wifi, and getting harder to find, as they are being replaced with a 2x2 mini-dongle without the posable antenna.

(Probably the model without the bigger antenna works better with laptops, but for desktops, I recommend the one with the antenna.)

It has BT in Win10/11, as an added bonus.

(random vendor on ebay)

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
@VirtualLarry I agree with your statements about options. When it comes to desktops using a USB extension is a good idea to make sure @zasgard has a line of sight back to the outer and isn't buried behind a desk or something that would impede the RF signal from getting good connectivity.

Not knowing if this is a desktop or laptop makes a huge difference in what I would recommend. Netgear did just come out with a AX USB though https://www.tomshardware.com/news/negeater-usb-a8000-wifi6e-adapter // https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/adapters/a8000/

Now, if we're talking about saving some money then putting an M2 (~$25) into the case on the MOBO directly or with an adapter card ($10) and adding some wiring / antennas to it to get optimal signal is the other option. I have an AX411 in my server w/ antennas off the back for a backup connection to the 5G gateway I'm using if I move it around for speed testing.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999