Hopper 2 vs 3 question

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Just signed up with Dish and thought I'd Google to see differences between the 2 & 3. I'm not finding speed comparisons, just that the 3's a lot more powerful processor wise. For anyone who've used both, is there a noticeable speed difference in the UI? Don't care about 4k at the moment, but I'm wondering about the responsiveness.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
get the 3
15 tuners, vs 3 in the hopper 2

thats all that needs to be said

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
that's not a factor to me, I hardly can find 1 thing to record, 15? JESUS lol. Any ways the guy who installed my dish yesterday informed me there is no Hopper 2, it's the Hopper 2000, and I was for some reason given a Hopper 1. I gotta imagine the speed difference will be pretty massive. Hummm now I gotta go Google how many tuners the original Hopper has.

Last edited:

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
hopper1,2 and hopper with sling all have 3 tuners
if you have a joey, it uses a tuner from the hopper
if you enable prime time anytime that uses a tuner to record the big 4 networks from 8pm to 11pm

you are locked into a 2 year contract, always get the latest equipment, you never know what will happen in 2 years

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
hopper1,2 and hopper with sling all have 3 tuners
if you have a joey, it uses a tuner from the hopper
if you enable prime time anytime that uses a tuner to record the big 4 networks from 8pm to 11pm

you are locked into a 2 year contract, always get the latest equipment, you never know what will happen in 2 years

I wanted to get the Hopper 3, but wasn't ready to shell out the $250 just yet. the CS who signed me up told me I could add it whenever I want without affecting my plan. Of course the same guy told me I'd be getting the Hopper with Sling, which I didn't. It kinda sucks they can't give a new customer who signs up for the top package the latest damn hardware. Oh well.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
I wanted to get the Hopper 3, but wasn't ready to shell out the $250 just yet. the CS who signed me up told me I could add it whenever I want without affecting my plan. Of course the same guy told me I'd be getting the Hopper with Sling, which I didn't. It kinda sucks they can't give a new customer who signs up for the top package the latest damn hardware. Oh well.

cant be added, as you can only have 1 hopper 3 at this time, and no other hoppers on that account.

dish csr roulette, when you dont get it from one csr, call back and try another.
basically your stuck for 2 years with what you have. there is no adding or upgrading, without a cost until your contract is up.

edit: if you wanted something different, you should have sent the installer home before he did the install, then called back and rescheduled with the correct equipment

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
cant be added, as you can only have 1 hopper 3 at this time, and no other hoppers on that account.

dish csr roulette, when you dont get it from one csr, call back and try another.
basically your stuck for 2 years with what you have. there is no adding or upgrading, without a cost until your contract is up.

edit: if you wanted something different, you should have sent the installer home before he did the install, then called back and rescheduled with the correct equipment

Hummm, I didn't want something different at the time though. The CS guy and the installer both said I could buy the Hopper 3 from them outright and switch to it. If they had told me what you told me, I would have held off. When you say I can't upgrade without a cost, are you talking about the $250 for the Hopper 3? I'm fine with that. Will suck if it will cost me more $$$, especially since 2 different Dish people said it wouldn't be a problem to upgrade a month or 2 down the road if I wanted to.

Last edited:

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
buying outright would be much more than $250, closer to $500

for $250 it would be a lease

they didnt have you under contract then
they do now, and you now have an etf
dish sucks when your under contract, one reason i left
well most companies do

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
For anyone who's thinking about upgrading to the hopper 3 I thought I'd update this thread. Just got off the phone with CS, cost me $150 to upgrade. Her English made her kind of difficult to follow. But I think all that happens is your 24 month contract is restarted. There was no etf or up charge and my bill will stay exactly the same. Maybe I got lucky with the person I spoke to, but it was super easy. they put it on my bill and will be out to install it in a few days.