Hope at the Baltimore riots

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
There is hope. Here is one parent correcting one child at the riots. We need this more. http://washington.cbslocal.com/2015...o-hitting-son-taking-part-in-baltimore-riots/

Long ago when I was young, this is how 75% of the adults of every color would have acted to any child trying to riot in public!! Their own child would have expected hospitalization. I was losing faith that the US could survive the constant destruction of every city. If this video gets enough coverage to energize the "quiet majority" and they actively demand decent behavior again, the US just might survive a while longer.

Jim

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
If this video gets enough coverage to energize the "quiet majority" and they actively demand decent behavior again, the US just might survive a while longer.

You're assuming there is a "quiet majority" that pushes decent behavior. Based on what we're seeing in Baltimore and what we saw in places like Ferguson, I'm not so sure about that one.

Surprised there isn't a thread on the whole Baltimore fiasco yet....

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
Until I saw this video I thought there is close to no hope. So far there is one lady and I'm glad for it. I'm not counting on it, but I'm hoping for two, then three and so on.

It does not seem likely at all, just more so than yesterday.

Jim

Caravaggio

Aug 3, 2013
There is hope. Here is one parent correcting one child at the riots. We need this more.

I completely agree that the mother is solid and rather brave.

But I was the same age as that boy once and when you have that level of testosterone you become wild with anger at gross injustice.
He has just witnessed another incident of gross injustice directed to people like him. There has been a cascade of such examples lately.

We are not shown how the incident ends but there are signs that he implicitly accepts his mother's authority, even as he tries to get away.

Good job Mum. Stay true to your sense of rage, young man.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
one parent isn't enough. mothers and children need fathers.

Are you seriously suggesting the ridiculous and widely disproven idea that a single parent can't raise a happy, well-adjusted, non-criminal child?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
it certainly makes it more difficult.

Well, it certainly requires PARENTING. One halfway decent parent is lightyears ahead of two bad ones.

end the war on drugs. families with both parents are also penalized by welfare requirements.

While I agree the war on drugs is pointless and usually counter-productive, what exactly is that going to do to help clean up the ghettos? You think if crack was sold over the counter at 7-11 the crime would suddenly go away and everyone would lead happy productive lives? All you'd do is force the crime in another direction.

At one point the "gangs" were bootleggers. When alcohol became legal again those guys didn't go straight and get 9-5 jobs, they moved into gambling and prostitution. Areas where those were legalized got into protection rackets, insurance scams, etc. Those guys moved into drugs and if drugs become legal then the gangs go on to running guns or new levels of extortion or whatever. If America reversed its drug policy tomorrow what happens to Baltimore? There's still no white tax base to pay for things, no businesses to provide jobs, no chance of turning things around without nuking half the city and starting completely from scratch.

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Are you seriously suggesting the ridiculous and widely disproven idea that a single parent can't raise a happy, well-adjusted, non-criminal child?

I'm right there with him. All data I've seen suggests that both single mothers and their children are at a significant disadvantage in life by all performance metrics compared to 2-parent counterparts. That includes criminality, education, income & odds of becoming a single parent themselves.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Hope would be getting everyone out of town and letting it burn. Then let the federal government tax the shit out of use to rebuild Baltimore.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I'm right there with him. All data I've seen suggests that both single mothers and their children are at a significant disadvantage in life by all performance metrics compared to 2-parent counterparts. That includes criminality, education, income & odds of becoming a single parent themselves.

Link? EVERY piece of evidence I've seen shows exactly the opposite.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Link? EVERY piece of evidence I've seen shows exactly the opposite.

Really? You've seen evidence that outcomes for children raised by single parents are generally better than those raised by two parents? Please cite these studies.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Really? You've seen evidence that outcomes for children raised by single parents are generally better than those raised by two parents? Please cite these studies.

I believe he's trolling, but I could be wrong.

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002

I think they are saying it's damn hard alone if not impossible. It's hard enough with two. I say two have to work their butt off and they still need a little luck.

Jim

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
I hope so, unless he was raised by a single parent, then what he is saying would make sense.

Even if he was raised by a single parent, it doesn't make sense. Yes, a few single parents have beaten the odds and raised outstanding kids, but studies show that generally, children in single-parent households do worse in all sorts of metrics as compared to those from two-parent households.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
I was raised by a single parent and it still doesn't make sense.

Even if he was raised by a single parent, it doesn't make sense. Yes, a few single parents have beaten the odds and raised outstanding kids, but studies show that generally, children in single-parent households do worse in all sorts of metrics as compared to those from two-parent households.

I was saying that it would make sense that he is posting incorrect information if he was raised by a single parent (mostly as a joke, although it wouldn't be surprising if true), not what he was saying was true.