Hong Kong Airport Protest: OMGWTFBBQ!

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
https://www.nytimes.com/video/world...rotests-video.html?playlistId=100000003162224

This is video of Tuesday's take over of the airport. Go to just before 39 minutes in. Several in the crowd are just WAILING on a guy who's down on the floor in the fetal position, his hands zip tied. Apparently he landed that day from the mainland, posing as a tourist, but they found ID that indicated "otherwise." Serious stuff!

From the NYT article:

Much of the evening chaos at the airport centered on confrontations between protesters and the man accused of being a mainland Chinese police officer. The protesters pushed him to the ground, punching and kicking him, and he eventually fainted, prompting the ambulance evacuation. His identity could not be immediately confirmed.

Protesters also surrounded another man, bound his hands and feet, searched his belongings and punched him. Some accused him of being a “fake” reporter. He, too, was evacuated in an ambulance.

Hu Xijin, the editor in chief of The Global Times, a nationalist tabloid on the Chinese mainland, wrote in a Twitter post that the man, Fu Guohao, was one of his reporters. “This shows that they have lost their sense of reason,” Mr. Hu said of the protesters in a message to a New York Times reporter. “Hatred has muddled their minds.” He later said that Mr. Fu had not been seriously hurt.

In television footage of the incident, Mr. Fu can be heard telling his captors in Mandarin, the primary mainland Chinese dialect, that he supported the Hong Kong police.
“You can beat me up now,” he said.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Hu Xijin, the editor in chief of The Global Times, a nationalist tabloid on the Chinese mainland, wrote in a Twitter post that the man, Fu Guohao, was one of his reporters. “This shows that they have lost their sense of reason,” Mr. Hu said of the protesters in a message to a New York Times reporter. “Hatred has muddled their minds.” He later said that Mr. Fu had not been seriously hurt.

In television footage of the incident, Mr. Fu can be heard telling his captors in Mandarin, the primary mainland Chinese dialect, that he supported the Hong Kong police.
“You can beat me up now,” he said.

Sounds like he got what he was looking for.

Reactions: Victorian Gray

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
This is going to get very bloody if they continue like that, i really hope i'm wrong

Reactions: cytg111

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
This is going to get very bloody if they continue like that, i really hope i'm wrong

That is my fear. It’s also frightening how effective the censorship of the central government is keeping the details from the mainland population.

Nov 25, 2013
That is my fear. It’s also frightening how effective the censorship of the central government is keeping the details from the mainland population.

Good chunk of the mainland population doesn't want to know. And a good chunk either doesn't care or is pro Emperor Pooh.

The more upwardly mobile section of the population tends not to be as 'unknowing' as we like to believe.

Hong Kong really is, in very many ways, a different country from the mainland. It's at least as distinct as Taiwan/Taiwanese society is. In some ways, maybe even more so.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Here comes the wonderful State to quell the terrorists and restore peace and civility to HK, oh joy!

UAcE3RL.jpg

Reactions: Bitek