honda to make 6 speed option for accord sedan

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
damn, 287 hp is becoming less and less impressive. Imagine that just ~5 years ago the M3 was rated at 240 hp!

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Yay? I don't think any driving enthusiasts really care for an Accord sedan. The suspension and handling on it blows anyway, a lot of it due to the crap stock tire/wheel combo. Those Michelin Energy's have zero grip.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Yay? I don't think any driving enthusiasts really care for an Accord sedan. The suspension and handling on it blows anyway, a lot of it due to the crap stock tire/wheel combo. Those Michelin Energy's have zero grip.

For the current generation, 6 speed accords have bigger wheels/tires, bigger brakes, different intake manifold and different intake.

HFP suspension as another step is ~$500 in parts and retains factory warranty when dealer installed.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: OS

For the current generation, 6 speed accords have bigger wheels/tires, bigger brakes, different intake manifold and different intake.

HFP suspension as another step is ~$500 in parts and retains factory warranty when dealer installed.

Well I know about the wheels/tires but they're still Michelin Energy's, until you move up the 17" alloys on the coupe. And yes, there are different components in the engine but that's b/c it's a J30 instead of a K24. Stock for stock, the engine/suspension setup of the 05 Altima I rented in Virginia was better hands down than the Accord. You shouldn't have to put on special packages to get the same level of "performance". (Although I'll still take the Accord over the Altima)

BTW, I busted my baby up in an accident Tuesday night. :(

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: OS

Well I know about the wheels/tires but they're still Michelin Energy's, until you move up the 17" alloys on the coupe. And yes, there are different components in the engine but that's b/c it's a J30 instead of a K24. Stock for stock, the engine/suspension setup of the 05 Altima I rented in Virginia was better hands down than the Accord. You shouldn't have to put on special packages to get the same level of "performance". (Although I'll still take the Accord over the Altima)

BTW, I busted my baby up in an accident Tuesday night. :(

V6 6 speed comes with 17s only. The 6 speed V6 has all the previously listed differences over V6 autos. Unfortunately honda does a poor job of advertising these differences.

I haven't driven an altima yet, but I have seen what they run and they are not really any faster than my I4 accord. The dragstrip I have been to, the 5 speed manual runs the same ET as my auto.

Yes, stock I4 handling is poor, but since it is easily fixed with sway bars, HFP and/or wheels, I don't think it's such a big deal. The suspension used in accords is double A arms all around, a high end setup. It's only lacking in tuning and easily fixed. OTOH, it's harder to fix a lower quality car like the altima. :p

Ordering a dealer addin performance package isn't really a big deal. You can finance it through the manufacturer, they'll put it on when you buy the car. Might take an extra week but no big deal. My coworker ordered the A spec option for his TL and he is happy with the car and the service.

Sorry to hear about your car though, how bad is the damage? Atleast apparently you are well enough to be posting on the net.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: James3shin
nice addition, but why so late?

actually, this could apply to nearly every model and model change honda has ever released. ;)

they were WAY late to the party with a V6 Accord, and the first V6 sucked. Toyota had been making V6 Camry's forever by that point (and you still see tons of them driving around, too!).