Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota 4Runner

Hamburgerpimp

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2000
While helping a friend find some info for a 2nd car, I found these stats. The Honda Odyssey has 240 HP/242 lb Torque. The 4Runner has 183 HP/ 217 lb Torque. They are both V6 and weigh basically the same.

That's an insane amount of HP for the Odyssey. I always knew the 4Runner was an underpowered piece of sh1t!

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000

<< 4Runner was an underpowered piece of sh1t! >>

What did you say? How about I come over there and kick your ass? eh?

First off, the Runner is an EXCELLENT vehicle. The 183hp engine is not underpowered. It can haul up to 5000lbs, which is plenty. Keep in mind that the lower hp also means better fuel economy. Also, Toyota's going to make a V8 4Runner for 2003.

4Runner also has the highest ground-clearance in its class and handles amazingly-well off-road. The 4Runner is one of the last *real* SUVs.

Oh, and can you tell me of any other minivan or suv that has an electronic sliding rear window? Didn't think so, sucka!

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
Thats why TRD makes a nice little supercharging kit for the 4runner. Besides, that ol cast iron block six in the 4 runner has been around quite awhile.

And remember, previous gen. odysseys made do with a cheesy 4 cyl. However, now whimpy guys like me that drive minivans (and the occasional lesbian subaru) can have some bragging rights.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
the odyssey is worth every penny.. my family has one and i love it.

i've actually spun the tires on it becuase it has so much power (and the road was wet)

anyways, it rocks, get it.!

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
4runner is definitely a cooler car to drive around and with 4wd it's a pretty damn good offroader if he's into that kind of thing.. as a minivan though, odyssey can't be beat in terms of size, power and versatility... shame taht they are going for so much though..

andrey

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< Also, Toyota's going to make a V8 4Runner for 2003. >>

Do you have any official info on that somewhere? I'm thinking of getting '02 4Runner with Highlander package in April, but not sure now if I should wait for the entire year to get V8...

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000

<< Do you have any official info on that somewhere? I'm thinking of getting '02 4Runner with Highlander package in April, but not sure now if I should wait for the entire year to get V8... >>

That's what I heard from the Toyota guy at the Chicago Auto Show. I think Toyota is going to keep the current 3rd gen' design and just throw in a V8 for 2003. There have been rumors of Toyota basing the next-gen 4Runner off of the new Lexus GX-series SUV. I'm thinking Toyota will do this for the 2004 model year though. I'll try to find out some more info this weekend.

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
Just a note of caution. While I do realize that 4runners have a bit of a cult following, they are somewhat outdated in the contemporary SUV market. I could never quite figure out what toyota was doing with 5 SUV's with the 4runner being a lame duck of sorts. The Highlander takes care of mid-size, with Sequoia and Land cruser filling in for large/luxury consumers.

Aside from a slight advantage in off-road ability, (and its brawny, low height-big wheels look) the 4runner doesn't have that many benefits....in fact that look detracts from head room, entry-exit, etc.

There are a number of equally priced SUVs in the market that perform better than the 4runner, V8 or not.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

<< Oh, and can you tell me of any other minivan or suv that has an electronic sliding rear window? Didn't think so, sucka! >>

*ahem*

Land Rover Freelander. Suckah!

andrey

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< There are a number of equally priced SUVs in the market that perform better than the 4runner, V8 or not. >>

Which ones do you have in mind, considering the same reliability, price range and SUV which doesn't look like minivan?

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Nissan's 240 HP Pathfinder wipes the ground with 4-Runners. That's a good little truck.

I hop you?re not going very far or fast towing that 5000 lbs with the 4-Runner. They?re just too small to be safe pulling that much. You should have a ¾ ton truck for 5000 lbs.

I?ve never driven an Odyssey, but any minivan has 2 ? 3 X the interior capacity of a 4-Runner sized SUV.

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
pathfinder isn't even based on a truck frame anymore..another poseur suv

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Not entirely true. It's like a unibody strengthened with frame rails (Nissan calls it "Mono-Frame") and a very truck-like live rear axle. It's solid enough for the use most people give it, and it tows as well as anything it's size can.

JImmyK

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion Im a staunch 4runen supporter Iv beent hrought he following SUVS and none have even come close to the completness of the 4runner (Iv owned a isuzu rodeo, ford explroer, and a Jeep grand cherokee Loredo) I dunno how people can compare 4Runners to pathfinders or any other SUV supposedly in its class. It has a 4x4 system so far past any other sUV in its "Class" its not even funny, trust me I know. ANd its interior is SOO much nicer as well.

it is bar-none the best off roading SUV in its class.

I mean is there any other SUV out there under 55,000 dollars that has differetial lock as an option on it? I dont know of any.

And its classy/gorgeous just look at mine :)

http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=186602&cat=15&val=1

seriously fellas lets have open minds here, I loved all my other SUVS especially the isuzu, it was the best bang for the buck (17,500 dollars for a 4x4 fully loaded SUV with 0 miles back in 93), but without looking at money I must admit Im VERY happy with my limited 4runna, nothing compares.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
I am VERY happy with my Odyssey... and the Mister loves his Tacoma TRD. It all just depends on what you plan to use the vehicle for... you want the right tool for the right job. He sort of wanted a Tundra but the gas mileage sucked and we do care about those things.

Anyway, as far as hitting the road with all our kids plus a neice or nephew to go camping, the Odyssey can't be beat. It fits 7 very comfortably, plus a VCR and all the junk you need for a long ride... *and* you can pass the heck out of slower traffic. Plus, I get GREAT gas mileage. And occasionally, when it is just me, I forget and end up going 90 without realizing it. Even better, I have had men pull up beside me on the highway and blow kisses at me when I am driving the Mom-mobile... now that's saying something for a minivan!

<---never thought she'd love a minivan

JImmyK

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
oh yeah by the wat I towed a 4000 pound car (with trolley) 300 miles from blacksburg virignia to washington DC avg 65-70 miles an hour no problem.

rufruf44

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
I found it hard to compare a SUV to a Minivan and vice versa. They're designed with different purpose in mind, and can't exactly compared them option per option. But there's no doubt in the minivan world, the Odyssey is King!

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Isla,

I'd probably blow you a kiss too, before you step on it and leave my poor Civic in the dust, that is. ;)