Honda HSV-010 GT

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Arkaign, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

http://jalopnik.com/5432070/hsv+10-gt-is-the-new-honda-nsx

Gah.

It's just ... awesome. Why does the underwhelming $375k LF-A (Lexus Fails - Again?) get the greenlight for production, but this doesn't? ARGH.

This is actually unique. The LF-A, for all of it's high-tech mumbo-jumbo CF, is still heavier than the all-around superior (and hella cheaper) Ferrari 458. This thing, with a 500+HP 3.4L V8 (rumored power figures) and a redline that's gotta be close to formula .. is certainly a different take on a supercar. It harkens back to the Lotus Esprit's 4-cylinder glory days for sheer originality.

It looks pretty badass too. That thing looks 2 feet tall and 8 feet wide :p

2. EightySix Four

EightySix Four Diamond Member

The LF-A is supposed to compete with the Ferrari 458 about as much as a Rolls Royce Phantom is. It's a touring car, more competitive with a Ferrari 599, Aston DBS, etc. While performance around a track is impressive, they are supposed to be about extreme comfort, drivability, power, and craftsmanship, of which the LF-A has all of them.

I'd personally spend my money on something else, but don't make comparisons to cars that are in different classes, it does not make sense. If it was such a big failure, all of them would not already be accounted for in Japan and people wouldn't be signing up elsewhere.

It ran 1.6 seconds slower than the 599GTB on the TG test track when the LFa was driving in the wet and the 599 was not.

#2 EightySix Four, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. darkswordsman17

I wouldn't call either one particularly great looking to be honest, and I'd say the LF-A looks better, but I don't know what this would look like without all the extra bodywork for racing.

The reason the LF-A made it to production is that Toyota decided that since they had spent the money on it as an engineering exercise, there's no harm in actually releasing it and getting some of the money back (the claim that they lose money I would assume is based on the development costs and not the per car costs). Plus, it allows them to see what the market is like, and if people will be more willing to take a high end sports car from them seriously. It might also pave the way for the return of the Supra.

Honda, well they've been making a lot of decisions that I think aren't very good these days. I'm actually glad they aren't releasing this as an NSX like it seemed they were intent on doing. My guess is its about appearances. A sports car like this hurts their environmentally friendly image that they've been striving for with the new Insight and CR-Z.

I think Nissan could really spin the GT-R off into another model or two. At the minimum, I would think they could turn it into a model for Infiniti. Then again, I suppose their economics on it are based on its rate of production and expanding would cost too much.

4. xSkyDrAx

xSkyDrAx Diamond Member

That thing looks insane! I like this much more than the LF-A which, imo, is a waste for the price.

5. RiDE

RiDE Platinum Member

What's so original about this car? Looks pretty ugly too.

Nothing will replace the NSX.

[​IMG]

6. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

Eh,

(1)- I wasn't aware the LF-A (as it is now) was a huge 2+2 design like the 599. The DBS is also a lot bigger.

For comparison :

Lexus LF-A is 175 inches long and 48 inches tall, in only a 2-seater model (I believe there are other LF variants at least in testing that offer 2+2, but they are not going to have the same dimensions as there's no place to put the seats in the LF-A variant)

Ferrari 599 is 183.7 inches long and 52.6 inches tall, in only 4 seater configurations even WITH the convertible configuration. It's a big, somewhat lazy cruiser design.

That is a massive size difference.

The 458 matches a lot more the small supercar niche that the LF-A is : a 2-seater only smaller model that is 178 inches long and 48 inches tall, almost identical in size to the LF-A.

If someone wants to say that one car is in this segment and another car is in another segment, when they are the same size and layout .. I guess that's up to them. The 458 and LF-A have a lot more in common than with the 599 and DBS outside of pricing.

(2)- Selling out doesn't really mean anything to me. The Mini Cooper, the VW Beetle, the new Challenger, etc, all sold out easily. Ditto with the SLR Mercedes, the Veyrons, and so on. The fact that there is only going to be a 500 unit run, combined with there not really being any other true Japanese supercars (that leaves a lot of potential in the home market just for the sake of patriotism alone) ... well I'd be shocked if it didn't sell out even if they made 1000 of them at $600k each.

7. SSSnail

SSSnail Lifer

3.4L V8 pushing 560BHP. Front mounted engine, weight distro is 50/50. Screams like a bat out of hell.

I'll take 2 if I'm able.

8. Imported

Imported Lifer

I'd agree with saying the LF-A competes more with the 458 than the 599.

I wish Honda would come out with this as the new NSX. This car sounds absolutely amazing.

9. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

Definitely! And even if the original NSX is an automotive legend, it's time Honda passed the torch to a new vehicle, the NSX is 20 years old now. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for the NSX I wouldn't be so enthused about this HSV-010 (terrible name), as I really want to see the continuation of a great legacy.

Any idea of the weight figures for the HSV?

10. SSSnail

SSSnail Lifer

The HSV GT is a continuation of the HSC (Honda Supercar), but instead of wasting all the development money for the HSC, Honda decided to make GT cars out of them and race. Honda head honcho didn't think the 3.5L V6 was super enough so he canned the whole project. He wanted an actual SUPERcar so this is what they came up with. I think the weight figures should be close to the HSC, minus the race trimming (I'm guessing around 2500 lbs?).

I hope that eventually Honda will produce a road going version of this GT car, for which the public response has been very enthusiastic. I'll be waiting inline for one... to see it. :p

11. SSSnail

SSSnail Lifer

#11 SSSnail, Jan 25, 2010
  12. RiDE

RiDE Platinum Member

If theyre going to use that same engine in a road version, which is based off their Formula Nippon engine which in turn was based off their IRL engine... i'm pretty sure it would price itself quite ridiculously like the LFA. :p

13. SSSnail

SSSnail Lifer

14. LOUISSSSS

LOUISSSSS Diamond Member

that some screaming sexy engine, gotta be around 12000+RPM, and i bet its not even at redline. honda's back in the game!
    check out 5:16-5:18 thats some FIRE from that exhaust

#14 LOUISSSSS, Jan 25, 2010
  15. PhoKingGuy

PhoKingGuy Diamond Member

Well they have to build a street version first, but they're getting there

16. Howard

Howard Lifer

Unless there's a turbo, fire from the exhaust isn't right at all.

17. punjabiplaya

punjabiplaya Diamond Member

I saw the test video. Honda made it just to compete with the GTR in the GT500 series. Now put the damn thing into production to compete with the GTR on the streets. I would love to see that thing with a ~90k tag.

edit: my god that noise is fantastic

#17 punjabiplaya, Jan 25, 2010
  18. Eli

Eli Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

Huh? Elaborate? What does a turbo have to do with anything? The injectors should still be off.