Honda CR-V vs. Chevy Equinox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
We're going to buy one of these two. The CR-V is something I've wanted for a long time, but enter the Equinox. Supposedly gets 5 mpgs better mileage, has a longer wheelbase, is larger and has a really kid friendly dual DVD player package for the rear seats, none of which the CR-V has.

Obviously, we're looking at the more decked out ones. Mileage is important to us, its hard to ignore 5 mpgs on a large vehicle. The Equinox's 6 speed automatic is Korean built, which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing (any history on this?). GM trannies have always been suspect for me.

Tonight we get to keep an Equinox overnight, and I plan to drive it to the Honda dealer to do a side-by-side comparison. The Equinox is slightly more expensive, but I think we can negotiate. Unfortunately, the Equinox has no track record, and its hard to know how it will fair.

We plan on keeping this car for 10 years, so keep that in mind.

Opinions?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Looking past the badge on the front, the new Equinox trumps the CR-V in pretty much every meaningful and measurable way.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
The Equinox looks great, but for 10 years you gotta go with the Honda, imo.

No telling what support will be available from OMW in the future, and the quality track record is poorer.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: vi edit
Looking past the badge on the front, the new Equinox trumps the CR-V in pretty much every meaningful and measurable way.

:thumbsup:

Yep Equinox by a long shot.

"GM trannies have always been suspect for me."

Not sure why you think that, many other makers such as BMW have bought GM trans to use in their cars.

Now if you said Chrysler or the auto in the old ford tarus or honda then yea.

CrimsonWolf

Oct 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

:thumbsup:

Yep Equinox by a long shot.

"GM trannies have always been suspect for me."

Not sure why you think that, many other makers such as BMW have bought GM trans to use in their cars.

Now if you said Chrysler or the auto in the old ford tarus or honda then yea.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Chevy Equinox. Looks like the 2010 update made it highly competitive.

Not that the CR-V is a bad car. We've had a couple in the family and they are solid. But, they are underpowered and expensive for what you get (and don't get...).

caspur

Dec 1, 2007

I'm hesitant to agree here. I have both vehicles in the fleet and the Equinox would be my personal pick out of the two. However, I don't own the cars...and as such I don't have to deal with the long term implications of reliability and durability. The CRV is an established, proven vehicle validated by one of the highest resale values in its class....and that is the car that I would have my family buy. Hope that makes sense.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Just to be clear, you are talking about the 2010 Equinox vs the 2009 CR-V correct?

A 2009 Equinox is a whole different animal.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
You will definately take a depreciation hit if you do end up selling.
First yr vehicles will always have bugs.

But that being said vehicles are as much about passion and if you love the package I'd just go get what you want. . . .

CupCak3

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2005
On paper, I'd go w/ the Equinox in a heartbeat. I'll be very interested to hear your driving impressions.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Equinox for sure. The only thing the CR-V has over the Equinox is resale value. And if you're keeping it for 10 years that wont matter anyways.

deserthonda

Banned
Oct 23, 2010
Quality of the Honda is the reason to buy it and it has lots of features. A test drive of both make that better quality of the Honda very, very apparent. Push on the interior parts of each car. The Equinox is not as solid. The plastic parts move. Every part on the CRV is tight. The Chevy Equinox creature features are nicer, especially the rear seats. Wow, they are nice. The Americanized comfort of the Equinox almost caused me to buy it. In the end I decided to go for mechanical quality. I'm more comfortable with that. The leather seats in the CRV (EX-L model) and other features are fine. I'm sure the Equinox is a nice car.

---

Thanks for failing to disclose that you're a lying spam whore who works for a Honda dealership and who bumped a necro thread to pimp your company's products.

Good bye.

Harvey
Senior AnandTech Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

deserthonda

Banned
Oct 23, 2010
We just bought the CRV and love it. It was a debate between the Equinox and the CRV after testing driving many, many cars. Do yourself a favor and test the CRV. The car is just better quality. On the trany, I agree with you about GM trany history. The Korean trany should be an improvement.

We're going to buy one of these two. The CR-V is something I've wanted for a long time, but enter the Equinox. Supposedly gets 5 mpgs better mileage, has a longer wheelbase, is larger and has a really kid friendly dual DVD player package for the rear seats, none of which the CR-V has.

Obviously, we're looking at the more decked out ones. Mileage is important to us, its hard to ignore 5 mpgs on a large vehicle. The Equinox's 6 speed automatic is Korean built, which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing (any history on this?). GM trannies have always been suspect for me.

Tonight we get to keep an Equinox overnight, and I plan to drive it to the Honda dealer to do a side-by-side comparison. The Equinox is slightly more expensive, but I think we can negotiate. Unfortunately, the Equinox has no track record, and its hard to know how it will fair.

We plan on keeping this car for 10 years, so keep that in mind.

Opinions?

---

Thanks for failing to disclose that you're a lying spam whore who works for a Honda dealership and who bumped a necro thread to pimp your company's products.

Good bye.

Harvey
Senior AnandTech Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Quality of the Honda is the reason to buy it and it has lots of features. A test drive of both make that better quality of the Honda very, very apparent. Push on the interior parts of each car. The Equinox is not as solid. The plastic parts move. Every part on the CRV is tight. The Chevy Equinox creature features are nicer, especially the rear seats. Wow, they are nice. The Americanized comfort of the Equinox almost caused me to buy it. In the end I decided to go for mechanical quality. I'm more comfortable with that. The leather seats in the CRV (EX-L model) and other features are fine. I'm sure the Equinox is a nice car.

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

OP, take them for a test drive and decide for yourself.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004

Aren't you a little late?

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
I know this is an old thread, but since it got revived.....

What is it about some people and this supposed GM tranny history? If it was Chrysler, I could see that (late 90s Caravans for example, anyone?), and heck even Honda has crap for transmissions behind their 6 cylinder cars in their past (did they fix that? even so only on some of their 6 cylinder accords), but GM in general...? My 98 Camaro had a 4 speed auto, still works fine at 161k, and I do know that before I got it, it wasn't treated too nicely. Friends of mine had an Astro van with 200K on it practically, no real trans issues to speak of, neighbor has some old lumina car with about 300k on it, no trans issues, etc....

I'm sure all manufacturers have had a bad transmission at some point (some worse than others), and someone has had a trans failure in every model of vehicle out there. But it isn't like all GM transmissions blow up before 100k or whatever.

A lot of times, it comes down to proper maintenance and service intervals.

speedy2

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2008
Agreed. Too many people want to jump on the GM bashing bandwagon. Mostly people who have never owned one. They just know "a guy" that had a problem. Hey guess what, I know a few guys that had imports crap out on them. I still don't bash them.

Status
Not open for further replies.