Homosexuality and genes...

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Anyone have a link to a reliable study that proves this, that homosexuality is genetic? There's been a lot of debate over it, people yabbering back and forth, I'm curious if anyone can back it up with reliable data.

I was talking with my roommate the other night, and we both thought of something... if there really is no way to reliably test to see if homosexuality is genetic, how can people think that? We hypothesized that people used family bloodlines and correlations to deduce this... but doesn't it just make sense that if your father was homosexual, you might exhibit homosexual behaviors, too? It's the same with any other behavior or learned trait.

Any ideas? Please don't flame or bash anyone, it's just a serious question.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
I know it would take alot to get a homosexual in my jeans...

Oh, you said "genes"!

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: HendrixFan
I know it would take alot to get a homosexual in my jeans...
Oh, you said "genes"!

*sigh*

<--- smacks HendrixFan silly...

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
I have a hard time believing it is genetic. After all, since they can't reproduce (yeah yeah, but I'm talking about a long time ago), wouldn't they have all died out? Wouldn't the homosexual genes have just gotten wiped out over the years?

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Because there's no conclusive evidence its genetic. I saw a case of 2 identical twins on tv raised in the same household the same way, played the same sports, etc., except one was gay and the other wasn't. Same genes, same enviroment. Its inconclusive for now.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: silverpig
I have a hard time believing it is genetic. After all, since they can't reproduce (yeah yeah, but I'm talking about a long time ago), wouldn't they have all died out? Wouldn't the homosexual genes have just gotten wiped out over the years?

I think we'd all agree that some men simply exhibit "feminine" traits, mannerisms, speaking styles, etc... what if those were learned behaviors or a combination of factors?

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: hammer09
Because there's no conclusive evidence its genetic. I saw a case of 2 identical twins on tv raised in the same household the same way, played the same sports, etc., except one was gay and the other wasn't. Same genes, same enviroment. Its inconclusive for now.

So was it a choice, then?

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Wouldn't the homosexual genes have just gotten wiped out over the years?
The genes could be recessive or whatever you call dormant genes. Some generations would not be effected.

While I don't believe it's genetic, it's possible some people are genetially predisposed to be queer. Toss in a little environmental/social pressure and *poof* you have deviant behavior.

Antoneo

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
Hmm.. in my psychology class, I once read that scientists noted that some fruit flies were uh homosexual and so they eventually found a common gene(the homosexual gene). The scientists then produced a number of fruit flies with the gene and saw that the flies formed something similar to a conga train when trying to "mate". Also studies showed that if one twin was homosexual, then the other one would be most likely homosexual as well. Some may refute this as both living in an environment that "promoted" it but the rate is higher in identical twins than fraternal.

bizmark

Banned
Feb 4, 2002
I think that SOME homosexuality is genetic. The extent of this is unclear, but I'm positive that some people are simply 'born gay'.

The reason why genetic homosexuality still exists, despite the logical reasons against it, is that people have been societally repressed from being openly homosexual. In the past homosexuals would still marry and have children because there wan't a societally approved outlet for their homosexuality. Also, as already stated, it could be a recessive gene, and having just one of these genes could be reproductively beneficial in some other way, much like the gene for Sickle Cell Anemia. I've noticed that gays tend to be pretty smart -- or at least well-employed, which implies intelligence. Perhaps this is related? Having just one 'gay gene' makes you smart, and having two makes you gay (and smart)?

Now that homosexuality is an accepted lifestyle, I expect to see the numbers of homosexuals drop within the next few generations, because the genes will become 'bred out' in the way that you'd expect.

LadyJessica

Apr 20, 2000
It's kind of like depression or schizophrenia. It's both genetic and environmental. Studies have shown a higher familial incidence of depression and schizophrenia when compared with random people. I think similar studies have been done in regards to homosexuality.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
I was talking with my roommate the other night, and we both thought of something... if there really is no way to reliably test to see if homosexuality is genetic, how can people think that?
Duh...because it's convenient

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
I think that SOME homosexuality is genetic. The extent of this is unclear, but I'm positive that some people are simply 'born gay'.

I remember seeing a study some time ago regarding a corolation between homosexuality and hormone levels in the uterus during gestation (e.g. the hormone balances where off compared to what a mother of a heterosexual child of the same sex would see). I don't know how conclusive the results where, but I thought it was interesting (if proven) in that it expains (at least partially) the question about breeding that out of the gene pool.

Bill

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Does anyone believe homosexuality occurs on a spectrum rather than being an absolute thing?

Such that you could claim someone who had a homosexuality index of 90 was "more gay" than someone with a homosexuality index of 70

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I think it is a combination of genetics and social environment. Some people are a bit more predispositioned toward being homosexual, but the environment is still part of the deciding factor IMO.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
lol he asked for links to reliable non-biased sources. everyone who is posting is speaking from their own opinion.

LINKS????

bizmark

Banned
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: bsobel

I remember seeing a study some time ago regarding a corolation between homosexuality and hormone levels in the uterus during gestation (e.g. the hormone balances where off compared to what a mother of a heterosexual child of the same sex would see). I don't know how conclusive the results where, but I thought it was interesting (if proven) in that it expains (at least partially) the question about breeding that out of the gene pool.

Bill

Hmm, that's something I hadn't really considered in my "born gay" statement. Environmental conditions during prenatal development are obviously important. Maybe then there is no 'genetic' component, except perhaps for the mother's susceptibility to having 'abnormal' conditions during pregnancy? Interesting. Maybe one day we'll figure all this out and have answers for everything :)

FrontlineWarrior

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2000
Originally posted by: bsobel

Bill

I think that's the most promising avenue in explaining homosexuality. It has been conclusively proven that female hamsters given testostestone injections in the womb, or a few days after birth developed male sexual behavior (mounting). Conversely, male hamsters that were deprived of testosterone through castration (or one of the enzymes to convert testosterone) showed female sexual behavior (lordosis). This doesn't explain homosexuality per se, but it does show that certain female behavior can be induced in male hamsters early in development by changing brain and spinal cord circuitry through hormones. Relating this finding to human sexuality is controversial because human behavior is so complex. But that's the state of the debate now.