Homeworld 3 announced: Hype(rspace) anyone?

SAAA

May 14, 2014
They are doing it.. BBI announced the game is already in pre-production, Gearbox will be publishing.

16 years after the last chapter! (Deserts of Kharak is more recent but it's a prequel)

Also being funded here, if you want to give extra voice over the development and get some special content:

Getting a bunch of "3" out of nowhere this year, were is Valve!?

Last edited:
Reactions: whm1974

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I really enjoyed Homeworld. Bought the Remastered versions to play again too. Hope they do it justice.

Reactions: Starbuck1975

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
The soundtrack in in the first two were amazing, I hope they get the same composer again.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Homeworld is one of my all time favorites. I especially enjoyed the end credits where they show concept art for the game to a song from the band Yes, also called Homeworld.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I need to get around to finishing the first one. ...I only played it a few years ago when Gearbox did the re-release. I just wasn't playing PC games when Homeworld was released, but it's the type of game I loved back in those days. I think I even have the Deserts of Karak game in my library....

I was enjoying homeworld, but got annoyed in one of the early missions that makes you navigate a little ship through some map of poison clouds or something. I failed maybe 4 times and just stopped playing. I guess I don't have that type of patience anymore, haha.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Interesting to see how this does, given that the RTS genre is all but dead at this point. Can we expect a "streamlined to mediocrity" experience or are we going back to the promise of a fully 3d battlefield (I remember Relic backed off that promise with the sequel and seriously flattened the maps).

H1 was a legit masterpiece, I was never able to really get into H2 as the pace and tone of the game radically changed from the first. Might go back and give it another shot now that H3 is on the horizon.

We'll see what H3 has to offer.

Reactions: GoodRevrnd

SAAA

May 14, 2014
Interesting to see how this does, given that the RTS genre is all but dead at this point. Can we expect a "streamlined to mediocrity" experience or are we going back to the promise of a fully 3d battlefield (I remember Relic backed off that promise with the sequel and seriously flattened the maps).

H1 was a legit masterpiece, I was never able to really get into H2 as the pace and tone of the game radically changed from the first. Might go back and give it another shot now that H3 is on the horizon.

We'll see what H3 has to offer.

Homeworld 3 will definitely pick the best things from the first and second one, I hope they write a wonderful story to end the trilogy, possibly keeping the tone closer to HW1.
Gameplay too.

3D is definitely coming back, in force, there should be larger units and maps by consequence: I mean it's coming in 2022! There's nothing holding back scale and units amount if they use a 64 bit only engine and start pushing all the limits.

So will there be a Linux version?

It is coming for windows, no official words if it will support other platforms for the time being. Languages supported should be ones were it did well in the past and some new locations.

Lots of comments about platform this or that: it shouldn't be an Epic exclusive judging by previous releases (DoK, HWRM), but again nothing official on the matter.
Not that it matters much to me honestly, in three years any digital store could get more relevant than the others and there's no way to predict what'll happen.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
thumbtwiddling.gif

SAAA

May 14, 2014
I called it and they delivered! Still, it's called Alyx rather than HL3… but better than nothing!

I have to do this more, maybe we get Portal 3, Minecraft 2 or who knows what else ;)

About Homeworld: the devs are silent for the time being, updates come around every quarter. They are doing a better job by focusing on the game than propelling expectations too high, as certain unfinished titles, IMHO.