Homeowners: How many homes did you look at before buying?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LordSnailz

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
How do you guys know that that's the right home for you?

There's been a few that my fiancee and I liked, we wanted to drive the commute and take a look a the house at different times to make sure we like but usually after a few days the house is gone. I just find it hard to say after the impression that that's the right house esp. since most of the ones we've seen are around 550k, and this is our first house.

Now, we're looking at some houses that sorta need some work on it versus some that are ready to move in ... ie. change the carpet or kitchen tiles, etc.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Depends... it's a balance between risking losing it if you really like it vs. settling. How much of a rush are you in ? You never want to settle on something, but this being your first home (like it was with mine)... you can't be extremely picky either. They went fast back in year end 2k1 for us. I wouldn't wait more than a day to decide after you see something you like. Especially after a few have been taken from you already.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: LordSnailz

The house wasn't great, but the eleven acres was just what we wanted. I walked through the forest and as I strolled through the native wildflowers growing there, I heard music in my head and it just felt like home. I had a sick feeling in my stomach until we signed the papers and took the keys. I was so afraid the deal would fall through.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
None? I looked at land though and built it/them then refinaced with over 100K in equity which I promply withdrew.

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
I drove past about twenty and then I did walk throughs on 4-5.

The last one my wife loved so we made an offer that night.

We got a really good deal because we were willing to wait. saved about 10K :Q (house was 114,900)

We moved in three months later and My wife still loves it. (although it is kinda small @ 1780 sq ft)

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Bryophyte
Originally posted by: LordSnailz How do you guys know that that's the right home for you?
The house wasn't great, but the eleven acres was just what we wanted. I walked through the forest and as I strolled through the native wildflowers growing there, I heard music in my head and it just felt like home. I had a sick feeling in my stomach until we signed the papers and took the keys. I was so afraid the deal would fall through.

ha, the exact opposite of us! we looked at about 10 houses, but when we got in the house we bought we knew right away it was what we wanted. It's only on 0.14 acres, which makes mowling the lawn a breeze!

it was $70k, 3 bedrooms 2 baths on main floor, finished attic that is like an "attic apartment" that runs the length of the house, and full basement that is half furnished...

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Joemonkey
Originally posted by: LordSnailz How do you guys know that that's the right home for you?

ha, the exact opposite of us! we looked at about 10 houses, but when we got in the house we bought we knew right away it was what we wanted. It's only on 0.14 acres, which makes mowling the lawn a breeze!

it was $70k, 3 bedrooms 2 baths on main floor, finished attic that is like an "attic apartment" that runs the length of the house, and full basement that is half furnished...

Wow..simply amazing. Just the school tax and other associated building fees will run 50K+ in Ca. Land? You could probably get half a lot for that.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Geez, Kentucky has low house prices! I got a big mobile home on eleven acres for a quarter million. We wanted to build in a few years, so we purposely put nearly all of our money into the property instead of the dwelling.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Zebo
ha, the exact opposite of us! we looked at about 10 houses, but when we got in the house we bought we knew right away it was what we wanted. It's only on 0.14 acres, which makes mowling the lawn a breeze! it was $70k, 3 bedrooms 2 baths on main floor, finished attic that is like an "attic apartment" that runs the length of the house, and full basement that is half furnished...
Wow..simply amazing. Just the school tax and other associated building fees will run 50K+ in Ca. Land? You could probably get half a lot for that.

yep, completely happy living in Danville, KY behind an elementary school. If we ever have kids, they can play on the school playground! Plus plenty of parking on the weekends for parties

EDIT: forgot to mention WHY we picked the house... it was unique compared to all the other "here's a big room and all the other rooms are off the hallway" houses. There are pretty much NO halls in this house, plus the bedroom has two octagonal windows in it... uniqueness played a HUGE part

labgeek

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2002
None. Friends called said they wanted to move and asked if I wanted buy their house. I said yes and bought it...

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
looked at 3 dozen homes before purchsing my first home. Looked at about 6 homes before purchasing my second (rental) home. Will purchase a 3rd rental property relatively soon.

TheToOTaLL

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2001
Honestly, only 5!

We were set on a particular area, and luckily they were all in our price range. The house we picked was the most expensive out of them all, but fortunately the seller ended up paying all our closing costs :D

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: LordSnailz

There's been a few that my fiancee and I liked, we wanted to drive the commute and take a look a the house at different times to make sure we like but usually after a few days the house is gone. I just find it hard to say after the impression that that's the right house esp. since most of the ones we've seen are around 550k, and this is our first house.

Now, we're looking at some houses that sorta need some work on it versus some that are ready to move in ... ie. change the carpet or kitchen tiles, etc.

1) How can you not have a solid general idea about the commute? Sounds like you're over-researching this and it's going to cost you any chance at a good house. One of the primary rules is be prepared to act quickly. The house we bought sold the first day and they chose our offer over 12 others. Some houses here in Sacramento have sold in 15 minutes. The bottom line: you should only be looking at houses within a defined location radius of your choosing.

2) 550k and you need to commute?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
One of the primary rules is be prepared to act quickly. The house we bought sold the first day and they chose our offer over 12 others. Some houses here in Sacramento have sold in 15 minutes. The bottom line: you should only be looking at houses within a defined location radius of your choosing.

depends on where you are at

we looked at a couple that had been on the market over 365 days, one has been on the market for more than 1000 days!

the one we are negotiating on has been on the market since october 28,2003 and we are the first to make an offer on it

our backup was put up for sale at the end of september , its a buyers market here

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
One of the primary rules is be prepared to act quickly. The house we bought sold the first day and they chose our offer over 12 others. Some houses here in Sacramento have sold in 15 minutes. The bottom line: you should only be looking at houses within a defined location radius of your choosing.

we looked at a couple that had been on the market over 365 days, one has been on the market for more than 1000 days!

the one we are negotiating on has been on the market since october 28,2003 and we are the first to make an offer on it

our backup was put up for sale at the end of september , its a buyers market here

Why are you buying a house that will accrue no equity? Never planning to sell?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com

?

we like the house, we will be living there from 5 to 15 years, at least until my older daughter graduates from high school, and if all goes well until my youngest daughter graduates from high school

what does equity have to do with it? we are going to live in it, its a house

Dec 27, 2001

?

we like the house, we will be living there from 5 to 15 years, at least until my older daughter graduates from high school, and if all goes well until my youngest daughter graduates from high school

what does equity have to do with it? we are going to live in it, its a house

Hey, it's your prerogative. But as far as what equity has to do with it...we accrued equity on our house, last year alone, equivalent to my yearly pretax income and I make a decent living for a 28 year old.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Drove by about a hundred. Walked through about 20-30. Seriously considered two in the same neighborhood. Finally made an offer on one and it was accepted. Spent about 5 months looking.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Wow, way more responses than I was expecting to this thread. Thanks for the input all.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
The two I bought were for investment, and I just drove by them and decided they looked good. After doing my due diligence I decided both properties were worth investing in. So 1 in each case.

I am currently looking for a home to live in and so far have looked at about 30-40 online. There are some hot deals still out there, houses ~20% less than what they were selling for a couple of years ago and interest rates are still very low. I am also looking into building which in a lot of cases costs less than buying, which blows my mind. The market is great right now.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
I know my agent, she let me use her password to look at the listings. THe listings you see on the internet is pretty outdated compared to this database that is for real estate agents only. I pick out which one I want to look at and she bring me to them. So, I must've scrolled through about 300+ listings. Looked at about 50, made 3 offers, and got 1.

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
A ridiculous number, but I started off looking at homes about $30K below my target purchase point and went up from there to see if I could make do with less. I probably looked at over fifty houses over the course of a couple of months.

It made for some pretty busy weekends, but when I finally did pull the trigger, I had a good level of confidence that my choice would meet my needs (and it has).

Haps

Nov 22, 2001
Between drive by's(Driving through nicer neighbourhoods looking for for sale signs) and MLS books we came up with about 50. Further inspection of house listing details and drive buys cut the list down to 13. Saw 13 and considered 2. Walked through 1 of them twice and bought it.