• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Homemade flat panel DML speakers-any experience?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
As part of my youtube addiction I ran across videos of supposedly excellent flat panel DML (distributed mode loudspeaker) made out of simple and cheap materials. This is (apparently) the original source video:

There are probably dozens of other build videos on youtube, here is one that does a decent explanation of how to build:

I'm thinking of trying this out but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these at all. None of the youtube videos I saw showed them playing piano music and/or female vocals-my two go-to areas for comparing speakers. Instead they (understandably) play DRM music (basically elevator music) or tones.

Several of the videos mentioned this sort of speaker is deficient in base, so I'm guessing I'd need to add a subwoofer and some kind of crossover.

<--- Reasonably handy at building, can't solder to save my life.

Mar 11, 2004
I saw the first video some time back (last year maybe?) and it was interesting. I think he's had quite a few speaker build videos including some updates to that experiment. I guess the question is, do you have an interest in these beyond just wanting speakers? And do they otherwise fit what you need/want (size, appearance, etc)?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Don't really need any more speakers, was thinking it would just be a fun/interesting experiment. If I do them they would most likely end up in my "man-cave" - basement room 20 x 15 that is a combination storage dump and my office, and would be used in a (nothing fancy) two channel audio system.

ASK THE COMMUNITY