homebrew heatplate.....

syadnom

May 20, 2001
i have seen people mention that the new t-breds have not gained much in terms of "cooling aptitude" being that the core is smaller than that of a palmino making a smaller contact area.

also people critisize AMD for not putting on a heatplate to "enlarge" the surface area.

im wondering about makeing one..

my idea is a standard Cu CPU shim and some arctic alumina epoxy. use a little bit of high temp standard epoxy and "paint" the packaging of the CPU(after unlocking it of coarse :) )

the "glue" the Cu shim into place do a little cleanup and let in cure. next liberally apply AC Alumina making sure to get into all remaining air spaces and then apply a 1mm or 2mm Cu plate and let that cure under some pressure to force the Alumina into cracks better and get a tighter fit in the end.

i think this would give a nice heatplate to the t-breds and also solve the problem of chipped cores....

any other opinions??

EdipisReks

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2000
this has been done before by a lot of people, and it really doesn't do too terribly much. afterall, you are adding yet another thermal contact to the mix, and the t-breds are pretty resistant to chipping. if you are going to do this, i would suggest using a heat cured epoxy as opposed to arctic alumina, and placing the cpu in the oven at low temps overnight. that has generally gotten people the best results. just be careful: the organic substrate will burn if you let the oven get too hot.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Since you'd have such a large contact area with the shim added, I'd do some lapping to get the whole thing down to a nice even surface.
Also I would ONLY "paint" the areas that had contacts. The paint will add some thermal resistance.

BTW, I'd try it out on a Duron first ;)