Home Theater/ Stereo setup question - Help!

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
Although I'm not entirely sure this belongs in OT, I stand less chance of getting in trouble posting here than in General Hardware if I'm wrong!

Anyway, I just spent a bundle on a nice new Technics Receiver for my home theater setup. It has Dolby Digital and DTS decoding built in, and, like most new receivers, an active subwoofer output.
Its replacing a setup that had a Pioneer Dolby Pro-Logic (4 year old) receiver hooked up to a nice center speaker, 4 satellites, and a PASSIVE subwoofer. The passive sub was a real bargain - got it on clearance for 1/5 its price...
The problem I've found is that although the sub is great quality (I think has a 15in. woofer that fires into the floor) it is only a passive sub, so it doesn't deliver the discrete .1 channel you get with Dolby Digital... and although it delivers nice clean bass, it lacks volume and presence.
But after looking at Active subs at the local stereo place (man are they expensive!) I think all an active sub is in the end is a nice passive sub with amplifier built in. This takes a single mono component connection in, amplifies the signal (with its own volume control) and sends it out to the sub speaker.

So my big question: I have a nice, presently unused stereo unit I picked up really cheap a few years ago. Its speakers have long been taken for other things, but the unit is still in perfect shape. It has an AUX input in the back, and outputs for 2 4 Ohm speakers. So why can't I take the single mono line out from the receiver to a "y" connector, to the stereo component inputs on the back of the unit, then run speaker wires out to my passive subwoofer. Use the stereo unit to amplify what I am assuming is a mono line level signal from the receiver's active sub output, use the unit's volume control for the bass level, and basically turn my passive sub into an active sub system?
i.e. - Stereo unit (amplifier) + passive subwoofer = active subwoofer???

I want to give it a try, but first I'm asking 1) if this makes any sense, and 2) if there is any chance of damaging my new receiver? I know you can cause problems with too low Ohms and heat, but the active sub output on the receiver is only a line level out - right? So it wouldn't have any power or Ohm issues, right?

I can't afford the $400-$900 (can) for a decent active sub, and I don't want to abandon this awesome passive sub... help me out!

Batti

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
Sounds perfectly legit to me, in fact that's what I think I may end up doing with my passive sub.

Not sure about the Y connector, though. Is there a mono setting on the amp that will be used for the sub?

bigjon

Mar 24, 2000
That's exactly what I'm doing with my setup - it's actually preferred over active sub systems of the same price since most active subs have cheaply-built amps.

5.1 system sub out to a cheap 400watt stereo unit then back to the sub. I didn't have a lot of space in the living room so I actually ran the wires to the sub amp through the wall behind the entertainment center into a bedroom and hid the amp under a bed (it has about a foot of clearance for ventilation).

The nice thing about this setup is you can leave all the bass control knobs (and super bass, etc) at zero gain (in the center - left of center is cut, which will actually REMOVE bass from the music - don't want to do that) and use the volume control on the sub amp to match the sub levels with the other speakers. The bass controls usually center around 40Hz, and your sub (especially if it's a 15) should be able to get to 30Hz or even lower (human's can hear down to around 16-20Hz, and feel vibration even lower ;)). When you use a bass boost knob you boost the 40Hz level distracting from anything lower. If you leave the bass boost alone you'll end up with more LOW bass (which I prefer over LOUD bass). Of course, it will still get plenty loud enough.

Time to watch the Matrix at full volume again ;)

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Congrats on buying a Technics receiver. Probably the best bang for the buck quality you can get. Have the 940? Mine is awesome in home theater setup with Polk speakers all around. Good speakers are the key to any sound system, the one place not to skimp.

Did this myself with a passive sub and it worked quite well, just watch the tone controls on both receivers. The sub out is a low level but you may not need a y adapter. Most older receivers let you plug a mono source into the right channel and output it through both amplified l and r channels. If you have the manual on the old rec, it may state this. My Rotel worked that way and I got good results till the next upgrade. Know what you mean about Amp Subs being expensive.

Remember, just loud does not mean good.

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
Awesome, thanks everyone!

...now I gotta wait 6 more hours to get home and try this out.

thebestMAX - yep, its the 940... I was amazed at what you get for the $ with this thing! I've read about people having concerns with heat... I have yet to set mine up, have you had any concerns / problems with the heat from the 940? I even read about guys adding computer case fans!

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Yep, I worried about the heat with this one and my last one also, a 650. The fan in it had a themal sensor and only ran when necessary but never gave me a bit of problem, in fact I hoped it would die so I had an excuse to get a new one. Never happened. In a rack with about 6-8" clear overhead and out the back. Front enclosed with glass so not the best environment.

A VietNam buddy of mine, now gone, had a 650 also and ran it at full volume for hours. His is still alive, he isnt.

If you dont know, full volume doesnt generate the most heat, I think about 60% does but dont hold me to that figure.

What kind of speakers do you have now? I think Ive had as many different ones as Ive had cars.

Great specs on the 940 and 650 also for its day.

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
Ha! You are going to laugh... my Center Speaker, Sub, and satellites are all "Optimus" brand speakers. I don't know if they still do, but that is what Radio Shack called thier speakers for a while. They are decent - not the best but not total trash, either...
Probably upgrade them next year if I can.

The 940 will go on its own stand, a foot of clearance on top, behind, and to the sides, and nothing in front of it. The basement stays cooler than the rest of the house, too.

And no, my username isn't from the speaker brand - honestly, I'm not that shallow... Its from Optimus Prime from the Transformers!!! :) :D

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Sounds like the 940 will just love its new home.

Dont feel bad about the Optimus speakers, have to start somewhere. Have some Radio Shack speakers in my past also. Some Ok, some not. Enjoy what you have and dont worry about specs. Ill drive you nuts.

bigjon

Mar 24, 2000
I have an Optimus center channel and it's great for the money! It has 4 midranges with poly cones and butyl surrounds and one dome tweeter. Sounds great, too!