Home theater speakers. How are these?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I don't know anything about these particular ones, but I do know you usually have to pay 2 to 4 times to get in a prebuilt speaker as what you do in a kit.

I think it's a good idea.

At first I thought you were going to link to a Bose product :Q

:p

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
The Spires are supposed to be great speakers, and the TB drivers are phenomenal (sp?) for their cost. I would ask how much woodworking history you have, as making the cabs for those speakers will not be an easy chore. If you do it well, or even half-assed, you'll have a pair of speakers that would cost 2x retail.

Good luck!

P.S. I would suggest starting with a pair of smaller ELFs or SuperELFs (same drivers) to see how they sound and to get your feet wet for making cabs.

jsbush

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2000
I don't have much wood working skills, but I have a garage full of tools (table saw, planer, anything you could htink of lol).

What kind of wood should I use? MDF?

Anyone know how much wood would cost?

GRIFFIN1

Golden Member
Nov 10, 1999
Originally posted by: jsbush
I don't have much wood working skills, but I have a garage full of tools (table saw, planer, anything you could htink of lol).

What kind of wood should I use? MDF?

Anyone know how much wood would cost?

3/4" MDF (or whatever thickness the plans call for) with either wood veneer or you can paint them. It's easier to get a good finish with veneer, but painting is cheaper.

Those kits say they include everything but the wood, but it doesn't tell you what's included.

Drivers
Crossovers
Speaker wire
Speaker screws
foam gasket tape for the drivers
Glue
silicone caulk
some sort of sound absorbing material for the inside of the box
wood screws (glue and clamps would be better, but it can take a long time to assemble the boxes if you don't have enough clamps to hold the pieces while the glue dries)

jsbush

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2000
Is the rear surround on a 6.1 setup the same as a center channel?

Also anyone know the power rating if these speakers (I'm assuming they can handel the power of a home theater receiver).