Home PC 2 networks

ferrytrip1

Apr 22, 2018
Hopefully not a stupid question. Current setup is PC on home lan with remote NAS etc. Some sites recognise I am behind a vpn so am considering getting a ddwrt router to replace the sw vpn service.

Happy with the approach however this now means I cannot access the lan from this pc.

Can I use the second Ethernet port on my pc then achieve this?

Thanks, Simon

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Not sure why you wouldn't be able to access your lan through the router, unless there is some info you are leaving out.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
How would a DDWRT router replace a software VPN service?
You can configured DDWRT to send all the outgoing traffic through the VPN service, thus, any computer which routes through the router would have the outgoing traffic go through the VPN as opposed needing each computer to have to use software and configure the VPN.

That all being said, the sites that recognize you are behind a VPN will still recognize you are behind a VPN (i.e. they have created lists of the VPN providers and their IP address ranges, and thus know that it is behind a VPN).

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not sure why you wouldn't be able to access your lan through the router, unless there is some info you are leaving out.
He most likely can't access his LAN after he has setup the VPN software, as his traffic is now going out to the VPN server first, and then attempting to connect to other devices on his LAN. The software he uses to connect to the VPN would need to be smart enough to allow him to configure whitelists of IPs/hostnames which it would not send through to the VPN.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Ok, I've been mulling over a proper reply for this thread, and I guess it's time to give it a go.

So we understand you correctly: You are using software VPN, and some websites notice this. You think installing a DDWRT device for an "always on" VPN connection will circumvent this. This is not correct, either way...the source IP seen by the website will be the VPN services IP.

Second, accessing VPN and local LAN simultaneously. Software VPN's typically have some kind of setting that enables split tunneling. For instance, I use PIA VPN, and the setting is called "block local lan". With this setting disabled, I can access my local lan, but WAN traffic is still over the VPN.

This may not be something that's part of the DDWRT config.

To answer your last question: Yes, you can config a DDWRT device for always on VPN, and use a second NIC to access your LAN. I recommend configing the second NIC with static IP and no gateway so your OS is pushing all WAN traffic out of the VPN.

Note, this config is essentially setting up two routers with dhcp, ensure the main router and DDWRT are giving out different LAN IP ranges altogether.