Home Network - Utterly lost as to next steps at this point

pbc

Dec 30, 2016
Hi All,

I'm at a bit of a loss as to next steps in terms of my home setup. I currently am on a Rogers "Gigabit" internet plan. Modem/Router Equipment I have is as follows:

Hitron CGN3-ACSMR (from Rogers)
Netgear R7000 (2 of them)

Switch:
TRENDnet TEG-S24g Switch

All my Cat5e and Cat6 cables are homerun into my basement where I have an equipment rack to house:

Video surveillance cameras and NVR (all HIkvision)
DCI security system with Envisalink
Sonos equipment (2 Connects + a 12 channel amplifier)

It is a 3 floor house (including basement). What I wanted to do as the wifi performance of the Hitron router is limited, was to set the Hitron modem into bridge mode with one of the R7000's setup right next to it acting as the main router.

I then have the second R7000 setup as an access point on the main floor with the same SSID as the R7000, which is then used as the main connection point for my wireless devices. I have selected two different channels on the R7000's based on a wifi analyzer, and set them up (on stock firmware as there is no NAT acceleration in the DDWRT I used to use ages ago) with the following options:

- 20/40 MHz Coexistence
- up to 600mbps
- Transmit power control 100%

The issue I am having is that the download speeds seem to be fine after a modem/router reboot, and by fine I mean 60-80Mbps which is terrible for a Gigabit plan, but they drop to 0.5 - 5Mbps shortly after rebooting. But in many situations the upload speed continues to be 30-40Mbps even though there is negligent download speeds.

Directly connected, I get 300-500 Mbps.

Of course my service provider is at a loss and simply says they can't do anything as they can't access my routers and if I remove them from the equation the Hitron works fine as long as I'm close to it.

Anyhow, at a loss at this point and wondering:

1. Is the way I've set it up the "optimal" way for what I'm trying to achieve in my ~4200 sqft home (excluding basement)
2. Any other things I can trouble shoot?

Thanks all!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
R7000 is AC1750 or AC1900, right? I'm a little confused by the fact that you say you're getting 60-80Mbit/sec after a reboot. That sounds like N300. What kind of wireless hardware is in the client machine in question?

I don't have gigabit internet service, I only currently am using a 10/1 connection, but I have some gigabit NAS units on my gigabit wired LAN backbone, and my main router is an AC68R, which is similar hardware I think to the R7000, or close. I'm running Shibby Tomato on it. I have my second half of my LAN in the other room. I do have the capacity to wire that in, but that entails stringing a Cat5e cable across a doorway, which is a tripping hazard. (I should get a cable concealer and be done with it.) So my secondary LAN, which is a number of machines, is all wired to a gigabit switch, and then to an AC1200 AP, running in client bridge mode to the main router, over AC1200.

Some of my client machines on the secondary LAN, also have their own AC cards, I've got USB3.0 AC1200 adapters on my three desktops, and my two DeskMini units have 1x1 AC433 in them.

With a desktop wired into the client bridge, I get 40MB/sec (BYTES) to my NAS, and over the AC433 I get 12MB/sec. Multiply that by 8 to get Megabits. Needless to say, with the client bridge, that's like 350Mbit/sec.

So, I would expect with an AC1200 or better client adapter, you too should be seeing transfer rates in excess of 300Mbit/sec on your wireless LAN.

The fact that your numbers are so low, and drop down to 5Mbit/sec, is a problem.

Btw, you do know that there is a serious "backdoor" exploit of sorts for many modern Netgear routers, yours included. Might want to check that out too.

Edit: I'm not personally familiar with them, but I've seen recommended in other threads by those in the know, getting a three-pack of UniFi Access Points, and wiring them to a wired LAN. My understanding is that there is controller software that needs to run on your LAN on a PC (or a VM), that can process "Zero-Handoff", thus ensuring that your clients always have a good connection between the APs.

Hopefully, someone here will chime in more about them. I think that sounds like a potential solution for a 3-story house.

pbc

Dec 30, 2016
It doesn't matter what client I use to connect. My Galaxy S6 phone. My Lenovo x250 laptop, Nexus 7, etc. I get the same thing with all of them.

I decided to try resetting everything to default (using the little pin holes on the back of the routers and modems) and starting from scratch.

Started with the Hitron, tested it on clients, was getting 400-600 Mbps download and 50 upload speeds while directly connected and while in the basement next to it, 100-200 download on wireless.

Put it into bridge mode (gateway off), then setup the first R7000 sitting right next to it. Connected a cable from the modem into the WAN of the R7000. Changed passwords, selected a clear channel, 20/40mhz coexistence, etc.

Tested it wired and then wireless while next to it. Similar results.

Then setup the R7000 on the main floor by resetting it, plugging a Cat6 cable from the wall port (which is connected to the switch in the basement which is connected to the first R7000), then used the Netgear software to set it up as an Access Point. Selected a different channel vs the first router and set it as the same SSID.

Checked the wired and wireless, marginally slower, but still over 100-200 with 50 on upload.

All is hunky-dory ... until 30 minutes later as I'm testing it again.

Download speed is 0.2mbps (yes ... 0.2 out of a possible "1000" gigabit connect ... I'm being a bit sarcastic as I know I won't get anywhere near 1000), yet the upload speed is still 50Mbps.

I'm losing my marbles at this point. How is it that the upload speed can be fine while the download speed is not??

As for the exploit, the newest firmware from Netgear resolved that (http://kb.netgear.com/000036470/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-7-6?cid=wmt_netgear_organic)

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Can you verify that the link from the main floor R7000 to the basement one is indeed gigabit?

Also, when you were getting 0.2mbps, did you try it with hardwire and see what you get? And is the wifi off on the hitron?

Also, do you need the first R7000 to act as wap as well? Try turning wifi off it as well.

Last edited:

pbc

Dec 30, 2016
How do I go about verifying that? It is a CAT6 cable down to the gigabit switch in the basement which is connected to the R7000 there, which is then connected via it's WAN to the Modem.

WiFi is off (gateway function is disabled entirely) on the Hitron.

I will try turning off the WiFi on the first as I don't use it..

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
How do I go about verifying that? It is a CAT6 cable down to the gigabit switch in the basement which is connected to the R7000 there, which is then connected via it's WAN to the Modem.

WiFi is off (gateway function is disabled entirely) on the Hitron.

I will try turning off the WiFi on the first as I don't use it..
The led corresponding to the gigabit port is white if the link is gigabit and amber if not.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Have you tried to see what the transfer speed between devices is? I'm probably the biggest Unifi fanboy on here but what you have should provide decent if not downright good performance. Check the transfer speed between two devices to make sure the Netgears are working at full speed. Then you know it is an internet issue. Since your speed from the modem itself is "ok" it is likely a setting gone wrong somewhere. Modem acting as a bridge not setup correctly and still trying to pull DHCP duties or something else. Not the network expert my any means so I am sure others can help you better. (why I like Unifi so well, almost commercial service that's easy enough for a consumer to use.)

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Disconnect everything. Then reconnect your main computer. Test it and make sure it works OK and speed is right (use speedtest.net) before connecting other PCs/devices. Then connect other PC/device back one by one, see if you can identify the culprit.

And make sure your are not running any file sharing programs on local network. They can disrupt network performance badly.

===
By the way, did you somehow create a loop accidentally, probably made a network wiring mistake?

Last edited:

pbc

Dec 30, 2016
One thing I'm wondering. Right now I have the cable connected into the WAN port on the basement R7000. The basement R7000 is connected via one of its LAN ports to the Gigabit Switch, which connects to various wall outlets, the security system, etc.

For the R7000 on the main floor acting as the main router, there is a connection from the wall (which again is ultimately connected to the R7000 LAN port via the switch) direct into it's WAN port as well.

Should the Access Point instead be connected via the LAN port and not the WAN port? Edit: Tried both WAN and LAN ... same issue.

Last edited:

pbc

Dec 30, 2016
Ugh ... so I just tried a hard wired connection and now of course it is showing 0.11Mbps download and ~30Mbps upload, same as if I was using wifi.

Sorry guys, not a network expert so not sure how to trouble shoot (e..g, no idea how to test the transfer speed between the two R7000's as asked above), but I can't wrap my head around why upload speeds via wifi would be ~30-40Mbps and the download speeds be non-existent? Has anyone seen that happen before.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
One thing I'm wondering. Right now I have the cable connected into the WAN port on the basement R7000. The basement R7000 is connected via one of its LAN ports to the Gigabit Switch, which connects to various wall outlets, the security system, etc.

For the R7000 on the main floor acting as the main router, there is a connection from the wall (which again is ultimately connected to the R7000 LAN port via the switch) direct into it's WAN port as well.

Should the Access Point instead be connected via the LAN port and not the WAN port?
Err basement one should be the router, upstair is wap

pbc

Dec 30, 2016
Err basement one should be the router, upstair is wap

Meaning basement one should be connected via the WAN and the upstairs via it's LAN? I just tried connecting to the LAN directly (instead of WAN) on the AP. Exact same result.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Should the Access Point instead be connected via the LAN port and not the WAN port?
Yes, should be LAN port for access point.

modem --- WAN port of 1st R7000 --- LAN port of 1st R7000 --- gigabit switch --- LAN port of 2nd R7000 in AP mode.

1st R7000 is in basement, 2nd R7000 in main floor

and be sure clients IP address and gateway IP is correctly set. gateway IP should be 1st R7000's IP address.

pbc

Dec 30, 2016
That's how it is currently connected. Same results.
Yes, should be LAN port for access point.

modem --- WAN port of 1st R7000 --- LAN port of 1st R7000 --- gigabit switch --- LAN port of 2nd R7000 in AP mode.

1st R7000 is in basement, 2nd R7000 in main floor

and be sure clients IP address and gateway IP is correctly set. gateway IP should be 1st R7000's IP address.

Yes, that's how it is currently setup, same speed test result...

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Meaning basement one should be connected via the WAN and the upstairs via it's LAN? I just tried connecting to the LAN directly (instead of WAN) on the AP. Exact same result.
cable modem - r7000 in basement configured as router - switch - main floor r7000 in ap mode

pbc

Dec 30, 2016
IP Address of main R7000 is 192.168.1.1, IP Address of second is 192.168.1.8

pbc

Dec 30, 2016
Give me a sec and I'll show some snipits of the R7000 setups. Taking a long time given the speeds!

pbc

Dec 30, 2016

Above is the router on the main floor acting as the AP.

Below is the basement router directly connected to the modem.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Looks OK. Maybe you can post the status page for modem? Probably incoming signal too weak? Maybe some expert here can assist you.

My Motorola cable modem IP is 192.168.100.1, no idea about yours though.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Above is the router on the main floor acting as the AP.

Below is the basement router directly connected to the modem.

Forget wireless for the moment. What do you get hooked up hardwire to first router? As in take the wire hooked up to your main floor ap right now and plug it into your laptop. Then repeat same test connecting the ap to the ethernet drop then the laptop hardwire to the ap.

pbc

Dec 30, 2016
Looks OK. Maybe you can post the status page for modem? Probably incoming signal too weak? Maybe some expert here can assist you.

My Motorola cable modem IP is 192.168.100.1, no idea about yours though.

Signal from Hitron modem...

pbc

Dec 30, 2016
Forget wireless for the moment. What do you get hooked up hardwire to first router? As in take the wire hooked up to your main floor ap right now and plug it into your laptop. Then repeat same test connecting the ap to the ethernet drop then the laptop hardwire to the ap.

Same cruddy download speed and fabulous upload speeds.