Home multi zone speaker control solution

Akaz1976

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
My friend recently bought a house that came with two ceiling speakers each in four rooms.

All those speakers are wired to a central location which has 4 stereo inputs (presumably one for each room).

No other equipment came with the house.

What equipment do I need to be able to send music from smartphone to each of the zones individually and control volume.

Thanks.

Shftup

Mar 14, 2005
You could buy a cheap amp with 4 zones (ie 4 stereo outputs), and get 4 chromecast audio.
Through the google home app, you can control each, or sync some zones or all.

This assumes that all devices are on the same network, etc.

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
How would that work if he wanted to control each zone individually? Wouldn't he need separate amp dedicated to each room (each with a CCA plugged into it)? Depending on the speakers and how loud he wants to play the music, even something like cheap t-amps might work. But you could be thinking about some single amp solution I'm not familiar with. Just curious.

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
Ah yes, that amp was what I was missing. I didn't know something like that existed. Thanks. Pretty neat kit, although not exactly cheap. In my exercise room and my home office, I use Dayton t-amps (each connected to a Chromecast Audio) powering Energy RC-10 bookshelf speakers. That solution works very well for me, although the rooms are both pretty small (more or less 15x15 each). And price is certainly nice. But if I had to deal with a more demanding power situation, the Dayton would probably not cut it.