Home Media Center Build

btadler

Jul 30, 2009
Hey guys. I am looking for input on an inexpensive way to build a media center for my TV viewing area. Currently my wife and I only use our desktops to stream netflix, Hulu and HBOGo. We recently got rid of cable due to the cost of having it and I was wondering if there is a way to build a small computer that I could connect to our currently unused TV that would allow me to stream HBO Go etc through the much larger than monitor size TV. I can't imagine I would need anything spectacular to stream movies but I could be wrong and that is why I am asking you guys. Thanks for the input.

Apr 21, 2012
Not much is needed just for streaming movies. I went the same route but I also built it as a gaming system to replace my X-box as well.

I'd suggest looking at an E-350/E-450 system or a Celeron 847 based system. Either one would cost about $80 for the Motherboard/CPU. If you want WiFi, most have PCI slots or you could just go a plug n play USB route.

I'd suggest getting a decent case for it that preferably is silent, the reason I mention it is that I have tried several ITX cases for HTPC use and my biggest complaint is noise from the fan or the power supply. I found the Antec ISK 300-150 to be a pretty good case, and it can be had for about $80, it also has a low profile PCI slot in case you want to upgrade later on. It will only take 2.5 in drives however. I also have used the Thermaltake Element Q, that one isn't bad either but the PSU has a loud fan. I switched mine to a Diablotek that was a bit quieter, it also supports regular 5.25 drives and 3.5in drives. The best cheap ITX case I've tried so far was a Cooler Master Elite 120, it was very quiet, had room for several HDD's and a full 5.25 drive bay, it also supports regular size power supplies but it's pretty tall for an ITX HTPC and very long.

Might check out a Zotac ZBox or something along those lines. Roku, X-Box 360 and PS3 also make great HTPC's!

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Hey guys. I am looking for input on an inexpensive way to build a media center for my TV viewing area. Currently my wife and I only use our desktops to stream netflix, Hulu and HBOGo. We recently got rid of cable due to the cost of having it and I was wondering if there is a way to build a small computer that I could connect to our currently unused TV that would allow me to stream HBO Go etc through the much larger than monitor size TV. I can't imagine I would need anything spectacular to stream movies but I could be wrong and that is why I am asking you guys. Thanks for the input.

I'm in the same boat as you... we ditched cable a few years ago, and besides things like History Channel and Discovery, we don't miss it much. Netflix helps a LOT... much of the History Channel stuff is available there.

You need to define a budget as well... if all you are doing is streaming video off the internet, most budget computers can do that fairly well. For that matter, if you get an HDMI (etc) cable long enough, you can hook your current PC up to the TV. The other option would be to buy a pre-built PC with a Pentium or i3. In either case, adding a $20-30 GPU would pretty much handle anything short of 3D.

Another option is a internet ready BluRay disk player... our cheapo LG BD player also streams Netflix (to be honest, probably better than my $700 HTPC, but that's another story...) Hulu and some other streaming services. $69.

Just food for thought.

Sep 12, 2004
We recently got rid of cable due to the cost of having it and I was wondering if there is a way to build a small computer that I could connect to our currently unused TV that would allow me to stream HBO Go.
You got rid of cable but have HBO Go?

What's your secret? afaik, HBO Go requires cable service and an HBO subscription.

garym

May 1, 2013
technutz.com
This is a really great device and doesn't use a lot of power:

referral links deleted

I have just removed upwards of 10 of your Amazon referral links.

This is your one warning.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Yeah for most people that just want streaming...consoles, Roku and BluRay players really took away the need for a full blown HTPC.

I love my Sony BluRay player, it was only $115 and it has a ton of streaming applications on it. I had never even heard of half of them. A lot of free streaming too.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think there are some nice streaming devices out there. However, often you might also want to look at stuff like those cute cat videos and other free stuff on the Internet. Some examples might be Youtube or Facebook or whatever.

Something like a motherboard with HDMI and a i-3 processor and a drive will work just fine. First thing you have to look at is how much space you want to take up and where you will place the device. This is just to determine the size and type of case. A typical H77 Ivy Bridge MB in a small case will work just fine. You might also want wireless access and a nice remote control or wireless mini-keyboard.

I have one TV with a small HD Antenna. It can pick up a few channels locally with HD Content.

Last edited:

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I think there are some nice streaming devices out there. However, often you might also want to look at stuff like those cute cat videos and other free stuff on the Internet. Some examples might be Youtube or Facebook or whatever.
A lot of streaming devices these days also have youtube and facebook apps as well as a web browser. At least my Sony Devices do (BluRay player and PS3) and my Samsung TV does as well.

You are right, it doesn't fully replace an HTPC, but like I mentioned, for most people it can (and save them a lot of money and time invested in building it).

Last edited:

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
HBO Go isn't going to stream HD via a PC. Needs to be an app like on the Xbox 360. If you're really just streaming content and not playing back anything local, I'd get a Roku.