Home brewers, I need some advice

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
My mom bought me a Mr. Beer premium kit several years ago, but I just used it the other day. I'm fairly certain I did it well enough that it would work if the yeast were active. The wort has been sitting for two days and absolutely nothing has happened, so it's apparently not contaminated. Can I sanitize my hands and the lid, quickly toss in some new yeast, and shake it up? What would be the probability that I wouldn't sour it? The cost of new ingredients would be noticeable to me, and I hate throwing things away anyway, especially from a present my mother gave me. It's West Coast Pale Ale, if that matters. Any and all positive and helpful input is greatly appreciated! :beer:

Anyone who feels like saying "Mr. Beer sux, just pay $200 for a real kit"- please save it. Thanks.

Sentinel

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2000
I take it you used dry ale yeast? I would give it 3-3-1/2 days at least, sometimes the dry yeast takes long to become active. Did you rehydrate it before you pitched?

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Dry yeast needs a while to wake up. I would wait a little inside a week before calling it dead.

Sentinel

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2000
Oh and don't start shaking the wort. All you have to do is toss the yeast on top and it knows what to do.

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
There was a little foil pack under the lid of the beer mix can of some kind of yeast- I tore it open, tossed it on top, waited 5 minutes, then stirred vigorously, per directions. The directions said fermentation should start within 24 hours, and I should bottle and prime after 7 days. The yeast was a powder when I poured it in, and it had been sitting around for 5-7 years- I don't know how long dry yeast lasts. Back to the main question, though, would I be almost certain to sour it if I quickly and carefully toss in new yeast? Can anyone give me a guess at probability? Room temperature has been between 70-75F. I was very careful with sanitation. Thanks again!

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: angminas
There was a little foil pack under the lid of the beer mix can of some kind of yeast- I tore it open, tossed it on top, waited 5 minutes, then stirred vigorously, per directions. The directions said fermentation should start within 24 hours, and I should bottle and prime after 7 days. The yeast was a powder when I poured it in, and it had been sitting around for 5-7 years- I don't know how long dry yeast lasts. Back to the main question, though, would I be almost certain to sour it if I quickly and carefully toss in new yeast? Can anyone give me a guess at probability? Room temperature has been between 70-75F. I was very careful with sanitation. Thanks again!

No, if you are careful there should be no issue. I've had issues with yeast before. Just put a new packet in. Remember to use a beer yeast, though!

BTW, what was the temperature of the wort when you tossed the yeast in?

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
I don't have a thermometer, so it's anyone's guess. I followed the instructions as well as I could, and they said it should be between 70 and 103F. I'd guess it was toward the lower end of that, as my tap water is chilly in the winter.

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
Well, problem solved. When I opened the keg I saw a mold colony floating on top > < I guess the sanitizer got old like the yeast. Time to start over. Thanks for the help, anyway! My next effort will surely be smooth and tasty with a rich creamy head. At least I didn't have to wait two weeks to find out it was ruined :beer:

Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: angminas
Well, problem solved. When I opened the keg I saw a mold colony floating on top > < I guess the sanitizer got old like the yeast. Time to start over. Thanks for the help, anyway! My next effort will surely be smooth and tasty with a rich creamy head. At least I didn't have to wait two weeks to find out it was ruined :beer:

There is a good chance that its not ruined. I don't think you would have a mold colony in 2 days, especially if you follow good sanitiation practices. What you see is most likely a yeast colony... Ale yeasts will float to the top and will look pretty disgusting.

Sounds like to me you've got beer on the way.