Holy $%#@ -- this is a BIG wave

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: jtusa
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
I'm a surfer but I'm not crazy enough to try something like that. No fvcking way.

Pvssy. ;)

I've surfed waves that were about a foot or two overhead. What's the biggest wave you've surfed?

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005

I've surfed waves that were about a foot or two overhead. What's the biggest wave you've surfed?

How about 75 feet? ;)

jtusa

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2004
Originally posted by: jtusa
I'm a surfer but I'm not crazy enough to try something like that. No fvcking way.

Pvssy. ;)

Lol, I haven't. Wakeboarding is the closest I've come.

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
not to discount anything he does cause I don't have the cojones to do that presently. But paddling in a wave 3x smaller is considererd far more difficult and a lot of fairly unaccomplished (relative to other pros) are towing into waves almost as big.

It's wearing a life vest, hang on to the rope let the machine pull you in shoot for the shoulder and if you get in trouble let the skis bail you out. Lots of surfers hate the towing in crap. Oh the angle also has a lot to do with why that XXL wave looks hardcore XXXXXXXL big.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: holden j caufield
not to discount anything he does cause I don't have the cojones to do that presently. But paddling in a wave 3x smaller is considererd far more difficult and a lot of fairly unaccomplished (relative to other pros) are towing into waves almost as big.

It's wearing a life vest, hang on to the rope let the machine pull you in shoot for the shoulder and if you get in trouble let the skis bail you out. Lots of surfers hate the towing in crap. Oh the angle also has a lot to do with why that XXL wave looks hardcore XXXXXXXL big.

I've surfed for years but I don't consider myself to have near the ability to do that. People die doing that sh!t. No thanks.

Paddling out through 8' waves and turning around to ride them is challenging enough. I usually prefer chest high waves actually. Still, even when it's chest high you might get the occassional rouge head high+ wave and get caught inside.

I'm not a fan of the tow in.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: sniperruff
rendered? where did the guy with the jetski go.

That's not rendered. People actually do that.

Waves that big are impossible to paddle into. You need the speed of a jetski towing you in just to catch it and take the drop.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Greenman
Why do the waves always break on the right side first? (As seen from the beach).

They don't. It depends on the break and the direction of the swell.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Is this that video of that guy getting pulled by a jet ski then surfing on a wave big enough to take out a small island? Repost x 100000

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Is this that video of that guy getting pulled by a jet ski then surfing on a wave big enough to take out a small island? Repost x 100000

Yeah, pretty much. I've seen it before but not sure if it was on here.