holy (poopies!), I just saw Pi

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Alright, that movie messed with my head.

1) partly due to my imagination, but there was one of the most suspenseful scenes I have ever seen in a movie, ever. I was ready to piss my pants. And when I think back on it, I still get a weird bite-your-nails feeling.
2) I'm trying to make head and tails of the movie, and it's hard.

Discuss. Those who have seen the movie.

Messes with your head, I swear...

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Wow, I never even heard of the movie... or maybe I have... hard to remember. I clicked the link because of Pi... was wondering wtf are you talking about. Kinda like "I just saw God." I'll have to watch it.

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Check out Requiem for a Dream if you want a movie that messes with your head (or so I've heard).

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
A little behind the times, are we? ;)

But yes, I agree that it's a great movie.

Yeah, wait for "I JUST SAW BRAVEHEART" in the coming months. :p

What was the point of the movie? Let's talk in vague metaphorical terms so they don't count as spoilers, and confuse the dryfarts out of everyone. ;):p

I think his apartment is a bit of a parallel to his actual mind - in some scenes, I don't think he's actually in it, but just the room represents what he's thinking. Generally the bathroom, really.

SXMP

Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: MindStorm
Check out Requiem for a Dream if you want a movie that messes with your head (or so I've heard).

Requiem for a Dream is an amazing movie. Another great one to check out is Momento.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Joeyman
Check out this old shockwave clip I did about the movie

btw the synopsis and junk isnt mine...all stolen :D

That's a horrible synopsis. :p

We already know that - it's very apparent from the start, but there are a lot of artistic devices used in the movie (the b+w graininess, for one, and the deliberate confusion/disorientation). Well, what is the point of using those devices if all it does is distract you from what the writer/director wants you to see? The part that confuses me is that.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Those headache/seizure scenes really give me a headache. I aw it in the theatre....even more painful on the big screen!
There's a lot of ways to interpret it. I don't like to limit it to much. I think in the end, a key point is that there is some sort of higher power. Maybe it's god, maybe it's just a mathematical pattern that is too long for us to figure out. Whatever it is running the show, our tiny human minds are too feeble to wrap around it....

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Clockwork Orange is pretty out there too. I only saw a couple scenes from it, but that was enough.

EmperorIQ

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2003
what is the movie Pi about? Also, requiem for a dream does mess with your head a lot, but its really repetitive. anyways, what is Pi about?

nebula

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
Originally posted by: SXMP

Requiem for a Dream <EM>is </EM>an amazing movie. Another great one to check out is Momento.

Spelling correction, Memento

I really enjoyed Memento, my wife hated it. She said there was too much repetition, but I thought it was done well. Definitely need to pay attention.

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
Memento is my fav movie

I really hated Pi. I don't understand why it's good I guess...I just really hated it :(

mAdMaLuDaWg

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2003
Originally posted by: nebula
Originally posted by: SXMP

Requiem for a Dream <EM>is </EM>an amazing movie. Another great one to check out is Momento.

Spelling correction, Memento

I really enjoyed Memento, my wife hated it. She said there was too much repetition, but I thought it was done well. Definitely need to pay attention.
Memento was a good movie, I got the color transition the first time I saw it; and I was like woah!, thats an amazing movie. There were a couple of things I didn't catch; like when the main guy was telling the story about his patient, the patient actually turned into the main guy for a split second in a frame.
BTW, anyone ever found out the code for the memento website?

ThaPerculator

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
Pi and Requiem are both sweet. Requiem is like the average moviegoers version of Pi, in the fact that most audiences can actually tolerate it without going nuts.

Pi was definately groundbreaking... It's nice to see Aronofsky canning a couple of crappy movies he was gonna do (i.e. The new batman - dark knight thing) in favor of more artistic stuff... He is potentially the Kubrick of our generation, as long as he doesnt screw it up...

I forget what book he's making his new movie from, but it's supposed to be another mind-bender about how the movie industry has used brainwashing techniques throughout history or something like that... lookin forward to it.

er.. i think it's called flicker???

Jan 18, 2001
If you are watching Pi, then I suggest you turn off the video and turn up the sound track! Massive Attack did the whole thing I think. :D

ThaPerculator

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
If you are watching Pi, then I suggest you turn off the video and turn up the sound track! Massive Attack did the whole thing I think.

Completely wrong... Clint Mansell compiled it, has a bunch of big name artists.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Originally posted by: AMCRambler
Clockwork Orange is pretty out there too. I only saw a couple scenes from it, but that was enough.
What was so disturbing about A Clockwork Orange? I saw the film and it may have been shocking when it came out but now it's nothing.

ThaPerculator

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
What was so disturbing about A Clockwork Orange? I saw the film and it may have been shocking when it came out but now it's nothing.

Nothing's really shocking about it anymore, but it's probly one of the best shot films of the century. It's like scene-to-scene Kubrick was meticulous with the placement of every little thing... f'ing nuts...

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001

[SPOILER WARNING]

Pi is an awesome movie!

What always bugged me about it is why Max Cohen burned his work and performed a labotomy on himself in the end.

Once he "crossed over", he realized something that made him want to prevent himself and others from following the same path.

Instead of discovering the door to heaven, I think Cohen REALLY found a door to hell....

6 x 6 x 6 = 216!!

:beer::D

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: EmperorIQ
what is the movie Pi about? Also, requiem for a dream does mess with your head a lot, but its really repetitive. anyways, what is Pi about?

A reclusive migraine-prone math whiz is studying the stock market in search of a pattern which he believes governs all of nature.
His processor gets burnt after dumping a long string of numbers.
He is "loaned" a classified processor by a stock agency that is hoping he will give them the ability to predict the market.
He meets a Hasidic Jew who is into Kabbalah. That guy thinks the mysterious number is the name of God.
Members of both groups chase him.
Hilarity ensues. Actually it's not funny at all, but it's really good.