Holy Moly there are alot of A8N threads!!

Smoothe

Dec 12, 2004
I noticed that also. AMD\nForce is cornering the market. Correction, has cornered the market.

Insomniak

Banned
Sep 11, 2003
For gamers and power users anyway, because they know more than brand-names.

I work at an electronics retailer, and almost every customer we get who comes in looking for a PC wants Intel Intel Intel. I try to explain that the AMD is the better processor for many applications, but they take one look at the clockspeed and won't let me get a word in edgewise. I've actually had a few say "You don't really know what you're talking about do you?" When I try to inform them that clockspeed is not he end all be all.

Meh. Oh well. I've got no regrets for my AMD-based, Prescott stompin' system :)

SenorBiggles

Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Insomniak
For gamers and power users anyway, because they know more than brand-names.

I work at an electronics retailer, and almost every customer we get who comes in looking for a PC wants Intel Intel Intel. I try to explain that the AMD is the better processor for many applications, but they take one look at the clockspeed and won't let me get a word in edgewise. I've actually had a few say "You don't really know what you're talking about do you?" When I try to inform them that clockspeed is not he end all be all.

Meh. Oh well. I've got no regrets for my AMD-based, Prescott stompin' system :)

OH! That must be rough. If I had customers like that, I think I'd want to push them down and step on their neck.

I'm not a violent man, but I think the herd needs a little thinning.

joelslaw

Dec 9, 2004
Originally posted by: SenorBiggles
OH! That must be rough. If I had customers like that, I think I'd want to push them down and step on their neck.

I'm not a violent man, but I think the herd needs a little thinning.

:laugh: ROFLMAO!!! YES, PLEASE DO! I'll help. I'll start pracitcing *push, stomp. push, stomp. push, stomp ......* man, ppl are dumb!

"You don't really know what you're talking about do you?" :roll:

That reminds me of a friend of mine who was upgrading and another friend of his told him to go with P4 because A64 wasn't backward compatable with 32-bit programs. *slaps forehead* Luckily my friend was on his cell standing right in front of my A64 system, running, guess what?, 32-bit XP pro!!! When my friend called him on it, he started backpedeling, saying stuff like: "well yeah, it'll install, it just won't run right" and "companies won't offer tech support for 32-bit software running on a 64-bit cpu". *slaps forehead again* It took my mad google skillz about 10 seconds to prove him wrong there too.

Needless to say, my friend went with AMD (score one for the good guys!), and I'm his new computer go-to-guy :D I just really wish ppl would research stuff, before they state it as fact! As the "computer enlightened" it would make our jobs much easier. But I guess if that happened, all the guys at Intel would be out of a job! :D

mrscintilla

Dec 11, 2004
My friend works at Intel, and the general consensus, according to him, among the employees is that AMD is a superior company and makes superior products. Many want to switch over or be poached by AMD.

wylecoyote

Nov 14, 2004
I hate how powerful and marketing and advertising can be.... People are convinced "Intel Inside" is the best because, well, it's what's on the TV. And my other pet peeve is how people won't get off their asses to do a little research. 10 minutes on the internet could save these poor saps a sh!tload of money and they'd get a better product.

This of course applies across a broad spectrum of things... people are willing to be spoon-fed overpriced junk just because it's what they see.

Oh well, I guess those who do a little homework will move toward the top... like shopping-darwinism or something.

Ok, i'm cutting myself off. Phhbt.

SunSamurai

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2005
Gee.. all you AMD people sound like Apple people from a decade ago. ;) Now you know how it feels!

kamaboko

Mar 5, 2000
no company serves as my religion. if intel came out with a better processor, they get my biz. i agree, too many people defend companies as though it were a religion.

Insomniak

Banned
Sep 11, 2003
Originally posted by: kamaboko
no company serves as my religion. if intel came out with a better processor, they get my biz. i agree, too many people defend companies as though it were a religion.

+1

Right now, I'm of the opinion that AMD is making the better product, but towards the end of the Athlon XP/P4 Northwoods, Intel was firmly in the lead. If I was buying then, it would've been the Blue guys.

Originally posted by: aeternitas
Gee.. all you AMD people sound like Apple people from a decade ago. ;) Now you know how it feels!

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to convince them that AMD is 100% superior to Intel. Intel actually does many things quite well right now - office productivity and media encoding come directly to mind.

But, how many home users consider those types of things the focus of their desktop? I ask these people what they want the PC for, and many of them reply that things like internet access (equal) and gaming (AMD Advantage).

Either processor will get you where you want to go, but when you take into account AMD's lower power consumption, lower heat dissipation, 64 bit compatibility for the future...(in this case, it does matter. Remember, many of these "casual users" will have a PC for 4 - 6 years, not like us 12 - 24 monthers here on AT).

So I try to suggest an AMD based system and start talking abou the differences. Some customers are smart shoppers and actually listen and make their decision based on their needs. Others, like I said, know enough to be dangerous and end up going with an inferior processor simply because of "what's on TV".

I actually had one guy choose a Celeron 2.8Ghz based system over an Athlon 64 3400+ based system we had that was the same price, since we were running a sale that week. His sole justification was the 2.4Ghz clock on the 3400+. Things like that fry my brain.

joelslaw

Dec 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Insomniak
Right now, I'm of the opinion that AMD is making the better product, but towards the end of the Athlon XP/P4 Northwoods, Intel was firmly in the lead. If I was buying then, it would've been the Blue guys.

agreed. but you still have to conceed that AMD was (and always has been) the more economical choice. If intel could make a chip that performed at the same level (or better, as they have in the past) as AMD for an equal or better price, heck yeah I'd consider buying an intel. But currently, they don't. Unfortunately, as we've all agreed, it doesn't seem to matter. The company with the better marketing wins out over the company with a better product. So looking at it from intel's p.o.v., why would you make a better product? Ppl are gonna buy 'em either way, why not just cheap out? It's for this reason that I get the feeling I'm gonna be an AMD guy for quite some time. Which is fine by me :D

and to the mac guy above: sorry man, I've always perfered pc! :D

wylecoyote

Nov 14, 2004
Oh i agree whole-heartedly...

I was simply stating that marketing, PR, advertising, etc. often is all the consumer bases their judgments on.

If AMD was making a worse product, I'd buy Intel in a heartbeat.

Let me reiterate... I believe in the best product, not a single company. I am not an AMD fanboy.
I did not mean to come across as bashing Intel.

I love everyone. You're all beautiful.

joelslaw

Dec 9, 2004
Originally posted by: wylecoyote
I love everyone. You're all beautiful.

ROFL! now let's all hold hands and sing "Kumbyah" :D all you amd and intel fanboys give each other hugs and appologize for all the mean and hurtfull things you did or said.......... *runs from angry mob*