Holy Meteors!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
It clouded up right around 9pm here, and now the radar's showing light rain in the area.:(

Aug 26, 2004
i just finished watching it, it was really cool

i was out in the middle of nowhere in the country laying on a blanket with some friends, so we could see really well

saw well over 100 in a few hours, and missed a lot more

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Relatively clear, certainly better than even a small city for viewing. Average of a little over 1 per minute a 10:50-11:20. Twice there were two at the same time. 1 left a really good trail.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Too bad in in a busy metropolis, the light pollution blocks out pretty much everything. :(

During college, my fraternity would plan a retreat to upstate Vermont every year at this time and so I got a good view of the meteor showers those years. It was pretty amazing seeing the actual backdrop of the Milky Way with a good number of shooting stars flashing past.

Jan 18, 2001
I woke my oldest boy up last night at 1 am to watch them. We saw about 10 or so within th e30 minutes that we watched. Pretty good show!

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
I remember the first time I watched these as a kid, on the deck of my clubhouse with my mom. I was so excited to be up at like 1 in the morning, and to get to watch something so cool...I had never really seen a shooting star before, so to see a bunch of them was 'dope'.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Missed the good stuff because of thunderstorm activity. :(

Lightning over the water never disappoints though.

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
i live in new york... freaking lights everywhere. i doubt i will see any, assuming it's still going on tonight?

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Srfrbum
yeah i wonder, is there ganna be any today ?

They were decently plentiful for the past few days before today's peak so there will probably be a show of sorts tonight. Of course on the open sea the visibility (weather permitting) is outstanding.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i was out for maybe half an hour. saw 2 of them.

its pretty dark here since i'm out in a rural area. beautiful sea of stars out tonight though. just sat and looked at the sky.

if i ever get the chance to own my own home, its going to be ina rural dark area and i'm going to have open skies all around.

nice to have a dream, even though it'll never come true.