Holy HELL vista is retarded

Vertimus

Banned
Apr 2, 2004
I installed Vista on one drive, but the bootloader turns up on another drive? WTF?

No option to change it; no notification about it; I didn't even know about it until that drive is now 200 miles away...

Now I need to figure out how to get a bootloader back on.

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: joshsquall
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SmoochyTX
Wrong forum? PEBCAK? :cookie:</end quote></div>

Both.</end quote></div>
:thumbsup:

ETA - Could somebody fix the gd quotes already?

ETAA - And the cookie!

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
I've not expected to be able to dual boot with XP and Vista, unless you use two drives and the bios. I'm glad that my suspicions were valid.

Rogo

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Vertimus
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dug777
Vista>Vertimus ;)</end quote></div>

Only 21.0k?

I thought you'd have 50k by now :p

I finished uni and got a job :eek:

;)

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Rogodin2
I've not expected to be able to dual boot with XP and Vista, unless you use two drives and the bios. I'm glad that my suspicions were valid.

Rogo

I could never got it to work.

Drove me up the wall :|

Back with XP for the last four months or so...

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: dug777
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Rogodin2

Rogo</end quote></div>

I could never got it to work.

Drove me up the wall :|

Back with XP for the last four months or so...

You guys are welcome:

http://apcmag.com/5023/dual_booting_xp_with_vista
http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

Rogo

Why bother? I'm running Vista 64-bit and I haven't encountered anything it won't run. You have some custom apps that won't run outside of an XP environment?

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
To all the PEBCAK'ers PEBCAK yourself. The problem OP described is very common and that's the way Vista works which is very retarded BTW, if your boot drive is C, why the fuck would you put bootloader on D? Moving it to C is no trivial matter either.

S

SlitheryDee

Rogo

I'm dual booting vista and xp now. It was easy, practically automatic. I get a menu asking whether I would like to run vista or an older version of windows on every startup. Older version = xp and vista = vista. All I did was create 2 partitions during xp's setup. Vista did the rest.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: fleshconsumed
To all the PEBCAK'ers PEBCAK yourself. The problem OP described is very common and that's the way Vista works which is very retarded BTW, if your boot drive is C, why the fuck would you put bootloader on D? Moving it to C is no trivial matter either.

XP does the same damn thing. No matter which drive you install it to, it's going to put the bootloader on whichever drive is considered the "boot" or "C:" drive. It's not that much of a pain, simply remove the old drive and start a new clean install of XP/Vista to the boot drive... it'll re-create the bootloader on the correct drive, just pull the disk and choose the older OS from the menu. Then edit the boot.ini to only show the windows you want.

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: fleshconsumed
Well, it's only common for those that don't do their research first. Oh, and the OP has been around long enough to know that OT isn't the correct forum to post his Operating System problems in. :)

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Sounds like an ID 10 T error to me. Let me guess, you didn't have the cpu cool with solution?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Vertimus
I installed Vista on one drive, but the bootloader turns up on another drive? WTF?

No option to change it; no notification about it; I didn't even know about it until that drive is now 200 miles away...

Now I need to figure out how to get a bootloader back on.</end quote></div>

This free utility will make your life a lot easier dual-booting XP & Vista (which I've done using single partitioned drives, multiple drives & multiple RAID arrays too) ... it also may enable you to re-install the bootloader so you can avoid re-installing Vista again... I suggest doing some reading on their forum to learn how.

Vista Boot-Pro: http://www.vistabootpro.org/

Pro-Network forums: http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/index.php

Edit: You may need to copy & paste the links. :eek: