Holy crap, the new Lexus LS 460 can park itself!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
I saw a review on this. The reviewer thought the technology was premature. It takes a long time to program the settings in the car to do the parallel parking and plus it requires 6.5 ft? If you had 6.5ft to work with, you wouldn't need a damn car to park itself.

compnovice

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2005
Originally posted by: DonVito
Originally posted by: Scouzer
Can't some BMW's do this?

Negative. Honestly I'd be a little surprised to see this feature on a BMW - it seems inconsistent with their emphasis on the driving experience. I would have thought Mercedes would innovate this, just as they have innovated a ton of other driver aids and safety features.

meh...Japan has more Asian women drivers than Germany...

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
6.5 feet longer is HUGE. With that much space, you don't even really need to reverse into the spot... good lord.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
That car is soo hot. I heard on the radio this morning that it can do a 0-60 in 4.2, which is extremely fast for a car of that size.

OpenThirdEye

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Scouzer
Can't some BMW's do this?

Negative. Honestly I'd be a little surprised to see this feature on a BMW - it seems inconsistent with their emphasis on the driving experience. I would have thought Mercedes would innovate this, just as they have innovated a ton of other driver aids and safety features.

Text

Actually...BMW was showing off a concept of this back in July.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
The target must be 6.5 feet longer than the car.

Haha, if you cant hit that in a parallel park situation, you suck at driving.

hah, man if you cant park with 4 feet (2' on front and rear), thats pretty sad.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000

Actually, that is pretty tight.
Next time you park, check the spacing and see if there is more than 3 feet in front and abck.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Oblivionaire
Originally posted by: Philippine Mango
Originally posted by: MulLa
Does that mean in 10 years time parking will no longer be a requirement in license tests?!

When I got my license I didn't have to park my car.

That fake ID you found inside of a cracker jack box doesn't count as a license.

I didn't have to either. Drove through some cones, which "simulated" parrallel parking, but the cones are much easier to do.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
That car is soo hot. I heard on the radio this morning that it can do a 0-60 in 4.2, which is extremely fast for a car of that size.

I find that very hard to believe. Lexus says 5.4 seconds. That's still quick, but 4.2 would make it quicker than an M5. No way.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: krunchykrome

I find that very hard to believe. Lexus says 5.4 seconds. That's still quick, but 4.2 would make it quicker than an M5. No way.

Maybe I heard wrong, or maybe the radio guy didnt know what he was talking about.

5.4 is still fast though for a boat of a car like the LS.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: glen

Actually, that is pretty tight.
Next time you park, check the spacing and see if there is more than 3 feet in front and abck.

yeap. thats what i was going to say.

6.5 feet is not a lot of room. just over 3 ft on each side.

Oblivionaire

Jul 29, 2006
Originally posted by: ScottSwingleComputers
Originally posted by: Oblivionaire
Originally posted by: Philippine Mango
Originally posted by: MulLa
Does that mean in 10 years time parking will no longer be a requirement in license tests?!

When I got my license I didn't have to park my car.

That fake ID you found inside of a cracker jack box doesn't count as a license.

I didn't have to either. Drove through some cones, which "simulated" parrallel parking, but the cones are much easier to do.

You lucky bastards. I had to parallel park between 2 real cars. The upside is I can parellel park today with my eyes closed. Oh and I call shens on the spatially disoriented dingbat that claims he parallel parked between 2 cars with 8 inches of total space between him and the other 2 cars. That's only 4 inches front and 4 inches in the rear, no way you can do that unless your wheels turn perpendicular. Even then some people would probably hit something.