Holy crap...it's alive

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
After months and months of hard work my toy is nearing completion.
It is a 1978 Ford XC Falcon sedan. the last few weeks i have been giving the standard 4.1litre inline six and it's 3spd auto the flick for more muscle...a worked 5.8litre Cleveland V8 and a toploader 4spd manual.
Today I got to turn the key, after afew little adjustment with the dizzy and carb it settled down to a nice idle, we had good oil pressure and everything seems ok, the first test drive was insane, after a few gentle labs around the block just to run things in a bit, I gave it a foot full coming through an intersection, GOD DAMN it lit the tyres in 3rd gear for 15 metres and then shoot off down the road...the whole time my heart was racing and i was thinking what a beast, we still have some more running in to do on a dyna tommorrow but we estimate the engine has about 450hp...and it feels like it that was the most awesome experience I have ever had..and i have been in some powerful cars before but this was insane, it would pull like a rocket even in 4th...I can't wait to finish it:D

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Stumps
It is a 1978 Ford XC Falcon sedan. the last few weeks i have been giving the standard 4.1litre inline six and it's 3spd auto the flick for more muscle...a worked 5.8litre Cleveland V8 and a toploader 4spd manual.
Today I got to turn the key, after afew little adjustment with the dizzy and carb it settled down to a nice idle, we had good oil pressure and everything seems ok, the first test drive was insane, after a few gentle labs around the block just to run things in a bit, I gave it a foot full coming through an intersection, GOD DAMN it lit the tyres in 3rd gear for 15 metres and then shoot off down the road...the whole time my heart was racing and i was thinking what a beast, we still have some more running in to do on a dyna tommorrow but we estimate the engine has about 450hp...and it feels like it that was the most awesome experience I have ever had..and i have been in some powerful cars before but this was insane, it would pull like a rocket even in 4th...I can't wait to finish it:D

Sucks that you have such poor traction. It would be nice to be able to put that power to the ground.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
that's sweet man!!
the fastest car I've ever been in is a 12ish second 300ZX twin turbo.... what a freakin' rush!

Awesome...too bad you'll be paying too much for gas to do any further upgrades. ;)

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001

What car was madmax driving?

EDIT: 1973 XB GT Ford Falcon Coupe - Google is my friend

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
If you want to pay for shipping, I've got a Ford 460CID (7 liter?) V8 you could build up :)
Doesn't leak a drop of oil, even.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
If you want to pay for shipping, I've got a Ford 460CID (7 liter?) V8 you could build up :)
Doesn't leak a drop of oil, even.

~7.5 liters

JDub02

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2002
Ahh, the good old Ford 351 ... good motor. My grandfather had one is his old F-150. That truck would MOVE!

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Doboji

What car was madmax driving?

EDIT: 1973 XB GT Ford Falcon Coupe - Google is my friend

wrong its a 1977 ford XC falcon GS coupe..I have seen the wreak at broken hill of the second car blown up in the mad max 2..it still has its id tags

I couldn't help myself..I had to go for a cruise at 1:30am..its funny i'm sitting at the end of my street which is about a kay long and I'm reving the engine, it hasn't got the mufflers fitted yet so the pipe runs just behind the front doors. I pulled the selctor into 1st and raised the revs to 1500rpm and give the clutch a little jiggle, as the back tyres light up one after another the house lights come on..damn awesome sight, I released the clutch and ROARED off down the street the exhaust note echoing down the street..this car just blows me away...I just hope the 3.5:1 9inch diff can handle the grunt, it's fitted with a detriot locker setup but damn doesn't this motor have torque, it pull from the kerb in 4th gear with no hesitation at all...I luv..just luuuuv it:D

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You floored it after a few laps around the block?.........

I dunno. I believe in varying the RPM during breakin, but I wouldn't load it that much until after at least 1,000 miles.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Eli
You floored it after a few laps around the block?.........

I dunno. I believe in varying the RPM during, but I wouldn't load it that much until after at least 1,000 miles.

Definately... it's really not even something to "believe in." It's a fact... you need to break in the rings so they seal properly. And... if you're using a flat tappet cam and not a roller cam, then you need to break in the engine with no load on it, varying the RPM from about 2000 to 3000 RPM for 15-20 minutes. Change the oil... then take it easy... no flooring it... change oil again after 500 miles, again after another 1000 miles, again after another 2000 miles, then I'd consider it safe to get on it. Realistically it may not take over 3000 miles to break in the rings... but... better safe than sorry.

That is assuming you want the engine to last thousands of miles... if it's a race engine, just do the cam breakin, a few miles of break in time for the rings... then let 'er have it.

*EDIT* One of my college room mates had an '86 (I think) Mustang with a 347 stroker. He used a roller cam so he thought he didn't need to give it any break in time. So he was on it from day one. A couple thousand miles later his oil pump siezed, which caused the cam to sieze, which caused his titanium valves to bend. He ended up getting a whole new block because the cam couldn't be removed short of drilling it out.

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
a couple of little revs doesn't hurt them..in my experience anyway, tommorrow it will clock up the rest of the 1000k's required before the first oil change and the engine is run in...I can't wait...I feel like I'm a kid again and I know i'm getting an awesome chrisy presant and it chrisy eve..if you catch my drift...pity the missus doesn't see it that way:D