Holy Crap. I know this guy...reporter in iraq

calpha

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
Reporter IN Iraq

This is the older brother to my best friend. I've known him since 1990

Two weeks ago I caught him on IM via satellite phone. He was uploading some pictures....and he was currently in Turkey waiting to get into North Iraq. Iin the past two years he's been to Pakistan (a week after 9/11), and Afghanistan, and the west bank. I don't talk to him a whole lot but he loves what he does.

But interesting enough, when I caught him on IM.....I asked him if he was worried at all....and if he was going to get out of dodge when the bombing started........and he said....no we have our flack vests..and chem suits. I don't expect it to be much worse then Afghanistan or the west bank.

Wonder what he'll say now. Man, If I had kids....there's no way I could do that....it'd be hard enough risking my life in the military if I had kids, and i'm a patriotic SOB.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
wow cool...i think if i was younger and not married or had kids it would be an incredible adventure to be out there reporting

minus1972

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2000
I'd like to first say that your friend is a braver man than I for going into Iraq as a journalist, especially after seeing what happened to some in Afghanistan. However, this bothers me a little:

Getty editors consulted with Marines who advised the photographers to dig a hole in the sand and lie low.

The three were eventually found by the U.S. military.
The fact that Marines had to go out of their way to take care of these guys is slightly disturbing. It was most definately the right thing to do, but should it be their responsibility to take care of every journalist in the country? (especially considering that they are allowing embedded reporters already)