Holy cow! Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 intro thingy...

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
I saw a clip of one of those intro things for Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 where Tiger says EA Sports, then proceeds to hit the ball straight into the water, and like skipping rocks, the ball bounces straight up and onto the green, then he says "it's in the game." That was one of the most incredible things i've ever seen, i wasn't expecting it and was awestruck. I know it's probably been done a lot of times but as a newbie golfer, that was an incredible trick... wow...

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
real video, there's no internet link (it's um, in the game :)) but wow, i wish there was

AU Tiger

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 1999
One of the best traditions of The Masters practice rounds is on Hole 16 where the crowd encourages the players to skip a second ball across the water onto the green after they have hit their tee shot. A chorus of boos follow the player to the green if he doesn't participate.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
i've never watched the masters before, as I never cared for golf until recently, but i'll be sure to watch it next time... do they always show it on tv if someone does it?

AU Tiger

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: PoPPeR
i've never watched the masters before, as I never cared for golf until recently, but i'll be sure to watch it next time... do they always show it on tv if someone does it?

Unfortunately no as it only happens on Monday and Tuesday during the practice rounds.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Can't wait to play this game all night this evening. Hope the wife didn't have plans for me...

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: royaldank
Can't wait to play this game all night this evening. Hope the wife didn't have plans for me...
i have two midterms tomorrow... AHHHHH NOOOOOOOO

Izzo

May 30, 2003
Admittedly lazy questions:

Is there a create a golfer with attributes/skills that you can earn points to improve?
Career Mode?

I've never played the Tiger series. I've gotten hooked on Hot Shots 3 though.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
yes, there is a create a golfer option where you can take golf lessons (for a fee, but when u complete it you get special shots and things like escaping sandtraps easier), you can buy watches, hats, new clubs, and compete in tournaments, worldwide tours, or even just goto a practice course where you can get challenged by golfers there. I haven't been this addicted to a game since Star Wars KOTOR. This might be one of the few games i'd ever think about paying 40 or 50 dollars for :)

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Izzo

Is there a create a golfer with attributes/skills that you can earn points to improve?
Career Mode?

Create a golfer is as robust as most wrestling games. That was a major focus this year.

There is also a 52 week (max 10 years) career mode where you play across the globe. You earn money to buy new clothes and equipment. You can even sign on with sponsors after awhile to make more money.

I used to be a huge fan of the hot shot series. However, after the last two Tiger games, I really don't like HS much any more. Tiger is just much cooler. The PS2 is online with daily tournies run by EA. Also several modes to play online like the battle mode. Battle mode is skins, except when you win a hole, you can take a club out of your opponent's bag. Also, you can play team best ball online as well as other modes.

Just trying to hit the highlights of the new additions.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
I just picked up 2003 for $20 a few weeks ago and am still liking it very much.

That much changed between the two to justify picking up '04 as well?

Ynog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: PoPPeR
I saw a clip of one of those intro things for Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 where Tiger says EA Sports, then proceeds to hit the ball straight into the water, and like skipping rocks, the ball bounces straight up and onto the green, then he says "it's in the game." That was one of the most incredible things i've ever seen, i wasn't expecting it and was awestruck. I know it's probably been done a lot of times but as a newbie golfer, that was an incredible trick... wow...

I did that last weekend. Though not on purpose as Tiger probably did.

Par 3. Island green. Sculled the ball, thought it was going to maybe make it over,
Came up short, skipped twice off the water, hit the edge, popped straight up and dropped on the green.
I was dumbfounded. Guy I was playing with started laughing and said, 140 yards, bump and run.

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Originally posted by: royaldank

Career Mode?

Create a golfer is as robust as most wrestling games. That was a major focus this year.

There is also a 52 week (max 10 years) career mode where you play across the globe. You earn money to buy new clothes and equipment. You can even sign on with sponsors after awhile to make more money.

I used to be a huge fan of the hot shot series. However, after the last two Tiger games, I really don't like HS much any more. Tiger is just much cooler. The PS2 is online with daily tournies run by EA. Also several modes to play online like the battle mode. Battle mode is skins, except when you win a hole, you can take a club out of your opponent's bag. Also, you can play team best ball online as well as other modes.

Are the graphics any better? Battle mode sounds like it could be interesting. Can you take away the other guy's putter?

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001

Are the graphics any better? Battle mode sounds like it could be interesting. Can you take away the other guy's putter?[/quote]

Putter is off limits.

Not sure about the graphics. I haven't actually played it yet. Got my copy waiting in the car until I get off work. From the videos that I've seen, they are slightly upgraded. Typical EA upgrade on the graphics department. Nothing spectacular, but some polish here and there.

Izzo

May 30, 2003
Suh-weet. Thanks for the info. Sounds like a great game. I'll have you know that the reviews and comments in this thread were so good that EA will be 50 dollars richer as soon as I get out of work. :beer:

(boy, am I an easy customer or what?;) )

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
Suh-weet. Thanks for the info. Sounds like a great game. I'll have you know that the reviews and comments in this thread were so good that EA will be 50 dollars richer as soon as I get out of work. :beer: (boy, am I an easy customer or what?;) )
I paid $50 for NBA Street Vol. 2 and I'm a huge basketball fan. Basically all the review sites said it doesn't get much better then NBA Street. Vol 2. I'm a new amature golfer who's never seen a full tournament on TV before and doesn't know how to put yet and this game is 3x better then Vol 2. was. I don't even really know what's going on half the time either. I'm sure true golfers will be ecstatic if they get their hands on this with the amount of customization available.

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
Does anybody know if they still have in the air spin control in '04? I'm kinda hoping they got rid of that.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: BornStar18
Does anybody know if they still have in the air spin control in '04? I'm kinda hoping they got rid of that.

I'm almost 100% positive I saw it during the IGN video review. In some ways, I like it. It other ways, I think it's really lame. Oh well.

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Originally posted by: BornStar18

You could disable that anways. I never used it in '03 and I beat the game no problem. Which brings me to the fact that '03 was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy. I hope there is more skill involved in '04. You shouldn't be able to win a tournament by 40 strokes every week.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
I didn't play 03 so I don't know what air spin control, but I haven't encountered that option in any part of the game yet. So far I've played about 4 hours of tournaments, lessons, and the worldwide tour and there have been some challenges. I've completely blown a couple holes, hit some in the water and sandtraps, and the AI has hit a couple chip shots in on the lowest difficulty.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Originally posted by: bunker
I just picked up 2003 for $20 a few weeks ago and am still liking it very much.

That much changed between the two to justify picking up '04 as well?

Yeah, I picked up 2003 @Office Depot a couple of months ago for $10, I love the game.

Also wondering if the upgrade to 2004 would be worth it.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Ynog
Originally posted by: PoPPeR I saw a clip of one of those intro things for Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 where Tiger says EA Sports, then proceeds to hit the ball straight into the water, and like skipping rocks, the ball bounces straight up and onto the green, then he says "it's in the game." That was one of the most incredible things i've ever seen, i wasn't expecting it and was awestruck. I know it's probably been done a lot of times but as a newbie golfer, that was an incredible trick... wow...
I did that last weekend. Though not on purpose as Tiger probably did. Par 3. Island green. Sculled the ball, thought it was going to maybe make it over, Came up short, skipped twice off the water, hit the edge, popped straight up and dropped on the green. I was dumbfounded. Guy I was playing with started laughing and said, 140 yards, bump and run.
is that what a bump and run is?

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Just picked up this game at my local EB Games.

Best game ever! See you guys in a week or two. ;)