Holy Cow errr ummm pig

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

teckmaster

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: OrganizedChaos
does the meat come from the butcher in convient little packages like at the grocery store?
do you kill the pig yourself or does the butcher do it?
does the bacon come in little strips or do you have to cut it up yourself?
what does pig eat?

yes, everything is wrapped and frozen just like it would be going to a store but they don't use the styrofoam trays.

Most likely, the butcher either himself or had someone come in and kill the pig. (we used to do it ourselves)

bacon you can either get it stripped or in a slab.

the feed could be just about anything.

Nice thing about it is that the butcher will do it up any way you want it. And its a lot cheaper than going to the store and buying the crap they sell in there.

teckmaster

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
What does it cost to have a pig butchered?

usually cents on the pound and that includes being cut, wrapped, and frozen.

I think the cheapest that my family ever paid was $.38 on the pound.

jkersenbr

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2000
I bought a beef to butcher from a rancher this spring. It was so big (1200 lbs live weight) that I split it with my parents. My cost including purchasing the animal and having it butchered and processed was around $2.00/lb.

I love seeing 50lbs of steaks in the freezer I got for the price of hamburger (and the 200+ lbs of burger in there too)! I had the roasts ground into burger....not much of a roast beef fan and we use a lot of burger.

I think I'll get a pork next time though....gotta love ham and bacon.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
pigs are one of the tastiest animals. So many different sections of deliciousness.

DeadByDawn

Platinum Member
Dec 22, 2003
I want to get a feeder pig, but I don't think I have the correct fencing for it. I've heard they are hard to keep in. A guy down the road sells the piglets for $75.

BabaBooey

Lifer
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Aimster
dont pigs eat their own poop which is really not proving your theory wrong about "you know what the pig ate" .. so I fail

enjoy your meals :)

I thought that was just folks from virgina that did that ..:confused:

:D

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: confused1234
Originally posted by: misle
Originally posted by: confused1234
/barfs all over

Not a fan of pork, eh?

A guy I work with raises hogs and cattle. I need to buy a half a cow or some fresh pork. Yummy.

vegetarian;)

To sloppily paraphrase a comedian (Steven Wright, I think): "If god didn't want us eating animals, why'd he make 'em out of meat?"

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
Can I get a cube of it? Something about the size of an alternator?
lmfao

Originally posted by: OrganizedChaos
does the meat come from the butcher in convient little packages like at the grocery store?
do you kill the pig yourself or does the butcher do it?
does the bacon come in little strips or do you have to cut it up yourself?
what does pig eat?

Yes, convenient little packages, just like at the grocery store. The roasts were a little bit bigger than I probably should have ordered, but... oh well.
I had the bacon cut into a more convenient size. I've always hated cooking those 8 or 10 inch pieces of bacon, so I had it cut 6 inches long.
The pig eats (ate) "hog grower" which is just a cheap assortment of flours/grains, etc. pressed into pellets. It costs $5 to $6 for a 50 pound bag. Plus, lots of vegetables and fruit when they were *very* cheap and available. i.e. free zucchini from people who had too much, and cases of vegetables when they were $1 or $2 a case.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: DrPizza
I think that in the spring, we're going to get our first cow for beef.

dude thats a goat not a cow! you've tricked yourself now!

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
What does it cost to have a pig butchered?

$20 slaughter fee (includes disposal of what's not eaten), 28 cents per pound for cutting, wrapping, freezing, etc., and extra 20 something cents per pound for smoking; making the sausage and putting it into casings was an extra 30 or so cents per pound.

We process our own deer; it was well worth it to us to pay for having the pig processed. We had sausage sandwiches for dinner last night. MMMMmmmm, better than grocery store sausage. And, breakfast this morning was canadian bacon + fresh eggs. MMMmmmm.

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: DeadByDawn
I want to get a feeder pig, but I don't think I have the correct fencing for it. I've heard they are hard to keep in. A guy down the road sells the piglets for $75.

I was just talking to someone last night about purchasing another piglet (or two)... $45 is the going rate in this area. For fencing, I believe electric fences with a wire set 6 or 8 inches above the ground will keep in a pig. Every time we put ours out into the pasture with the other animal, well, maybe every other time, the pig broke through the fence at some point or another. The first time, it ran into the fence at full speed. The fence won and it cut its nose up. After that, it learned to test the fence. If there was a place where she could get her snout under and lift, she just ripped the fence off the fence posts. To describe how strong a pig is... we put up a short cinderblock wall in her stall, 2 layers high in front of the doorway to keep her from running out when we went into the stall. She smashed them to smithereens. I went out the next day, and there were just cinderblock pieces all over the place.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
That makes spidey cry.

Why didn't you just smoke the whole damn hog! That's a party right there. mmmmm, whole hog...

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
From the looks of it, you didn't save the skin/rinds or some of the guts? Pork liver, kidney, intestines, uterus, all tasty.

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
What would it cost to buy a similar amount of meat from the store?

I don't know if I could do that. I'd probably get attached to the damn thing.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: BigToque

Based on his estimate of weight and feed/processing costs, it looks like around $1.50/lb

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i would love ot get a cow and some turkey's. just wish i had more then 3.5 acres heh

wouldnt want a pig. we do not eat very much pork. though i do love bacon hmm

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: BigToque

I think a better comparison would be, what would it cost to get a similar amount of meat from a butcher (usually a better quality meat than at a regular grocery store). Probably at least double the amount of money I put into it. But, even if I broke even, I'd be happy.